DHP-33/55 owners - your shimmer patch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loar

The Fly
Okay, here's the deal: I've got a DHP-55 that up until recently seemed to work fine for shimmer on the stock Stringpad patch.

For some reason, possibly related to a system reset, my patch no longer smoothes the delayed signal such that it sounds like one nice shimmer.

Does one of you (who has a decent DHP shimmer patch) happen to feel like sharing your settings, or the patch?

I know that the DHP patches are pretty intense, but even some sort of clue as to why this is not working for me now would be helpful.

Thanks, guys!

The DHP-55 does not do a good shimmer. The 33 and 55 are totally different machines. I had a DHP-55 and sold it to get an IPS33b (same as the DHP-33).

AughrimFurey said:
The DHP-55 does not do a good shimmer. The 33 and 55 are totally different machines. I had a DHP-55 and sold it to get an IPS33b (same as the DHP-33).

Okay, so a second question for you: on the DHP 33, can "shimmer" essentially be obtained from a preset, or does it require some fooling around?

And for that matter, do you get use out of it for anything else, or solely for shimmer.

I may have to justify doing what you did, and I want to make sure it's worth it.

It does require some fooling around, but the details of creating a patch preset can be found around the net (U2 recording Yahoo group). I no longer have the IPS33b (sold it for a Fractal Audio Axe-FX), but it was much easier to get a good shimmer out of it than after hours of tweaking on the DHP-55.

The IPS33b (DHP-33) is good for whammy as well as detune to get a 12-string sound from. The whammy on it is very good (think original whammy).

I think it is worth it to make the change. I spent days with the DHP55 (actually, I had the Studio 5000 which is a DHP55 on steroids) and could not get a good shimmer with it. Within minutes of getting an IPS33b and putting in the settings I found on the net, I quickly got a good shimmer.

I have a DHP33 and tried to create a shimmer patch using the details from the U2 recording Yahoo group. I set everything to the listed settings. For some reason I can't seem to get it right. I want just the shimmer, but part of the original can still be heard no matter what I try.

You need to have reverb post shimmer to smooth the sound. I have used both a Lexicon and Yamaha SPX90 and it both worked well. Just running direct out of a DHP33 or IPS33B will sound choppy.

The DHP33 is a nice unit. You can also program it to get the trem/shimmer tone from Lemon.

I do have a Line6 Verbzilla, which I could place behind it, but that seems like an awful lot of work when I can just use the shimmer setting of the Verbzilla. That way I can use the DHP33 for actual harmony work. I do love Iron Maiden like guitar harmony.

Hmm, decisions, decisions....

PS. Is it possible for you to post the settings for that Lemon like trem/shimmer?

Muad'zin said:
I do have a Line6 Verbzilla, which I could place behind it, but that seems like an awful lot of work when I can just use the shimmer setting of the Verbzilla. That way I can use the DHP33 for actual harmony work. I do love Iron Maiden like guitar harmony.

Hmm, decisions, decisions....

PS. Is it possible for you to post the settings for that Lemon like trem/shimmer?

I have a verbzilla too. Although it does give you something sounding like shimmer, the attack and sustain is no where close.

I'm sure if you run it as a reverb post DHP33, it would help even out the tone.

Back
Top Bottom