Definitive Spec - Edge's 1973 Black Strat (circa 83-84) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Definitive Spec - Edge's 1973 Black Strat (circa 83-84)

Hello All,

I've seen a few different posts on a few different sites, but I'm yet to see anything that seems all that definite:

Does anyone know the specifications of The Edge's 1973 Black Strat during the 83-84 period?

For example: I've seen some discussion over the exact number and position of the DiMarzio pickups, the tremolo that is used and so on...

Does anyone know the exact spec?

Also, does anyone have any clear pics of this 'weapon of tunes' on file, from this particular period?

Thanks to all,

Will

Hawkmoon_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:48 AM
I'm not going to really tackle with full-on specs and so on, but I'm pretty sure that his guitars weren't that modded; what I mean is that all discussion about DiMarzio pickups and so on isn't so relevant as these weren't used that long. The tremolo system is regular synchronized trem (read this: U2’s The Edge Talks Guitars, Gear, and Techniques | Jas Obrecht Music Archive)
It is safe to assume that his original "Blackie" was pretty much stock 1973 strat with no mods. Every time it says "custom pickups" in the recent interview/magazine article, that means that Dallas or whoever rewound those pickups to accommodate for the oldness, not to significantly change tones. Sorry for the long post.

Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:48 AM
If the all-black is the 1973, as Dallas has stated, there have been mods. They didn't come in all black in 1973. That started around 1975-1981 (black on black).

I don't think that the all-black "Blackie" of the last few tours is the original.

One of the Black White Strats seems more likely to have been the original, as the original (and the black and white in question) had/has brass saddles.

I think this one might be the 1973/original Blackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I'm not going to really tackle with full-on specs and so on, but I'm pretty sure that his guitars weren't that modded; what I mean is that all discussion about DiMarzio pickups and so on isn't so relevant as these weren't used that long. The tremolo system is regular synchronized trem (read this: U2’s The Edge Talks Guitars, Gear, and Techniques | Jas Obrecht Music Archive)
It is safe to assume that his original "Blackie" was pretty much stock 1973 strat with no mods. Every time it says "custom pickups" in the recent interview/magazine article, that means that Dallas or whoever rewound those pickups to accommodate for the oldness, not to significantly change tones. Sorry for the long post.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think that what's original about Blackie could be only the body and neck, and those electronics could be switched out. But didn't Dallas said that black strat in 360 tour is original 1973 strat in Musicradar article in 2009-ish? I think that the bridge could've been replaced for stability.
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I think that what's original about Blackie could be only the body and neck, and those electronics could be switched out. But didn't Dallas said that black strat in 360 tour is original 1973 strat in Musicradar article in 2009-ish? I think that the bridge could've been replaced for stability.
Anything is possible.

But if the 360 'Blackie' is THE 'Blackie', it was probably altered before Edge got it, as all black wasn't a 1973 option - unless the original owner got it special ordered.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Babyface

Sorry to aks, but isn't the all black strat from 79?
d_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:56 AM   #7
Babyface

Local Time: 07:48 PM
83-84 Era of the 1973 Strat

Hi All,

From what I've been reading on this forum and a handful of articles is that the The Edge's first guitar is a 1973 dated Fender Stratocaster.

The guitar was purportedly played in the same specification that it was purchased in: i.e. Black body, black pickguard.....and so on.

Theory is that (either) the guitar was a custom order or that the original pickguard was swapped sometime from 1976 upto the day The Edge walked into that store and bought it. This would have been in the era when real rock guitars 'just had to be' all black (think: The Knack). So much was Fender was having trouble keeping up with demand for black strats in this period that they repainted existing stock!

If the pickups were replaced, theory is that they were probably replaced at the same time (by the previous owner) when the pick guard was replaced.

What were those pick ups and how many? Claims are varied; extending from just one pick up being changed to all three being replaced with DiMarzios.

Then there are the saddles...

Keep in mind, the era that I'm focusing on here is 1983 - 1984....

Does anyone have any clear pics of the guitar from this period? (I can't see the details clear enough from the footage from Live at Red Rocks).

Any thoughts in regards to the pickups during this period?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Will
Hawkmoon_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Babyface

Up!

d_honda is offline   Reply With Quote