Death By Audio MICRO Harmonic Transformer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The Harmonic Transformer got some use on No Line On The Horizon (album) and during the 360 tour.

It even got use on other songs (live), like Ultravilet (Light My Way).

Interesting pedal. My only complaint was the pedal was huge - it took up a lot of space.

Some that opened up the pedal wondered, "Why such a big housing for the amount of electronics inside"

DBA must have come to the same conclusion.

Coming soon... MICRO Harmonic Transformer. It lists for $200, and they are taking pre-orders at Prymaxe.

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1481824678.696093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

are there any pedals that are cheaper alternative to this pedal? i somewhat like the sound of it but....the price is frankly too expensive.

No... or build it yourself like i did...

What he said. There's a vero layout of it on Tagboardeffects.

That being said DBA did some crazy shit with it when they build it. Like the Fuzz War they used flipped transistors, flipping the collector and emitter poles. This does require careful selection of transistors. They used 2N5089's in their builds but as a forumite on the Madbean forum discovered, not all 2N5089's are created equal and the ones DBA used must have been some weird batch. And one that they ran out of as well because the Fuzz War also used them and they changed it from their weird 7 flipped transistor version to Yet Another Big Muff. I wouldn't be surprised if this new version of the Harmonic Transformer is also a different beast underneath the hood.

If we're talkiing about DBA again then they could easily shrink it down to a 1590B, it's a fuzz circuit, those are always tiny circuits. God only knows why they always went for those huge boxes. They probably thought it made their pedals look cool. A throwback to the 60's and 70's when all pedals came in huge boxes. The rule of cool never takes such pesky things as practicality and handy sizes in consideration.

I discovered the use of this pedal + dm4 for outro in UTEOTw during 360tour. Anyone know a good combination of dm4 with that pedal?

Everything You Know is Wrong

Somehow this pedal seems to maintain the format of original pedal. Is it really smaller?

Seems a few have owned and opened up the DBA pedals and found that some, like the Harmonic Transformer were full or air. LOL.

So it seems that it would have been easy for them to make the boards a bit smaller and hence fit them into smaller boxes.

Seems a few have owned and opened up the DBA pedals and found that some, like the Harmonic Transformer were full or air. LOL.

So it seems that it would have been easy for them to make the boards a bit smaller and hence fit them into smaller boxes.

Ah, the famous DBA gutshot pics. Where the phrase was coined: 'Death by Audio, look inside and then you die by audio.'

In a way its not surprising. They're fuzz circuits. Fuzz circuits are always small, a handfull of components that don't need big circuit boards. The only reason I can think of why DBA went with the huge container sized boxes was rule of cool.

Back
Top Bottom