Death By Audio & The Edge... and pics of mine - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Death By Audio & The Edge... and pics of mine

I got myself some Death By Audio pedals! Good fun. I've had the DBA Supersonic Fuzz Gun for a bit. Lots of gritty fuzz goodness.

One can get "Get On Your Boots", "No Line On The Horizon" * / **, "Fez/Being Born"* and "Moment of Surrender"** tones.

One can get the siren sound, like the tone that Edge has been using between "City of Blinding Lights" into "Vertigo" during the U2:360 tour by using the Supersonic Fuzz Gun.

Here's a pic of Supersonic Fuzz Gun:

And here is the latest addition... Death By Audio "Harmonic Transformer". I've heard that this has been part of the solo tone for "UltraViolet" during the U2:360 tour. I think that it is also part of the "Get On Your Boots" tones. (But that is unconfirmed):

sources:
* MARCH 2009 - ROLLING STONE
** OCTOBER 2008 - Q MAGAZINE

Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 09:41 PM
what does the harmonic transformer do?

quadcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcaster View Post
what does the harmonic transformer do?
Edge is using it for the solo on "UltraViolet" during this tour.

I am convinced that it is part of the "Magnificent" intro (along with the whammy set to an octave down)

There is info and a video demo there. at proguitarshop . com
Death By Audio Harmonic Transformer Fuzz

Here is their video demo for the Supersonic Fuzz Gun:
Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun
Old 12-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 09:41 PM
theres a solo in ultraviolet? :S
quadcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcaster View Post
theres a solo in ultraviolet? :S
Actually not the solo but the "There is a silence that comes to a house, when no one can sleep..." part.

It used to have a different guitar melody. Now Edge is using the sustainer pickup with the Harmonic Transformer for that thick fuzz bit.

Check 1:52 into this link below (from the Pasadena show) - and again at 3:00

Old 12-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
The Fly

Oh man I want one of those Supersonic Fuzz Guns sooo much. Is there any cheaper alternative to it at all? I know it's a long shot, seems a fairly unique pedal, but that big old price tag attached to it is a huge downer lol
Hornbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornbag View Post
Oh man I want one of those Supersonic Fuzz Guns sooo much. Is there any cheaper alternative to it at all? I know it's a long shot, seems a fairly unique pedal, but that big old price tag attached to it is a huge downer lol
Yeah me too! I wanted one a while back and needed some other pedals as well as a fuzz. If I had gotten that [Fuzz Gun] I couldn't have gotten what else I got. Instead I took a EHX Little Big Muff Pi. Not quite the same but a unique pedal that I like to use A LOT! I'd say that there is no alternative to the Fuzz Gun. Have you seen the ProGuitarShop demo of the Fuzz Gun? It really makes me want one.

theedgeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Wait, this thing would be perfect but there is no jack for an expression pedal, is there....?

Damn, I would love more control over that 8-bit sounding filter.
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Wait, this thing would be perfect but there is no jack for an expression pedal, is there....?

Damn, I would love more control over that 8-bit sounding filter.
Nope - no jack for expression pedal.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Now im lookimg the circuit of the harmonic transformer. If anyone have opened the pedal please could you upolad a detailed picture of the circuit? Thanxxx
Rockhound252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornbag View Post
Build any other similar fuzz box and misbias it a bit... I got some very similar sounds when I experimented with old Burns Buzzaround circuits or Joe Gagans Skyripper. Even a fuzz factory clone could work (cheap DIY kits at musikding.de).

But it's become easier today: Someone retraced the Supersonic Fuzz Gun and posted the schematic at freestompboxes.org. When it is verified, I'll definitely build it, it's a very simple circuit. $20 and two or three hours of work is everything that you'll need. I think I'll post a veroboard layout with added power supply filtering (to use wal warts) within the next week over at FSB...
roseblood11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
War Child

has anyone the layout of the Harmonic Transformer??
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Babyface

I don't think it's worth the effort - and that seems to be common sense at FSB...
freestompboxes.org • Login

You can cover that range of sounds with a clone of Joe Gagans Skyripper Fuzz or even a Fuzz Factory (and in addition both can make some far better sounds), or have a look at Tim Escobedos circuits.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
Babyface

Harmonic Transformer, version 1:

Version 2:

I don't understand, why people would pay more than $100, even for version 2, which has the same build (and parts-) quality, as any DIY beginners kit for $25. Even in the new version, the pcb is held by little plastic self-adhesive pcb-standoffs. And look at the bad solder joint at the dc jack in version 2... Ouch! And version 1 is nothing but horrible.
Compare this to a cheap chinese brand like Biyang, you'll get a more complex circuit and a much better built quality for $40. And they have engineers who know what they are doing (See their version of the MXR Phase100...), whereas the Death-by-Audio guys only produce happy acidents...

The Harmonic Transformer has a simple transistor gainstage, with red LED's as clipping diodes. And a stage with two transistors wired as a differentially connected pair to produce the octave - compare to the Univox Superfuzz. In version 2, the diodes seem to be replaced with transistors (base-emitter-junctions used as diodes), or maybe mosfets wired the same way, as in the Zendrive or MP Stone Grey distortion.
Have a look at Tim Escobedos DIY circuits and all the discussions about how to mod them at the forums, and you'll be able to tackle together a much better circuit...

Really, I don't understand, why pople buy this crap.
There are so many boutique builders who really know what the are doing and who sell well-made pedals for less money. Think of Catalinbread or Subdecay, or in germany MEK - just a few examples...

Speaking of the Superfuzz: I know that The Edge has a hand-built clone of it that uses a CA3046 transistor array instead of discrete transistors. Does anyone know where this pedal was used? btw: That transistor array would be a much better way to build a Harmonic Transformer clone, as the transistors in it are very well matched. It could be used for the octave, the clipping diodes and the gain stage, only a few caps and resistors would be needed...
Old 12-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
Babyface

Verified, sounds exactly as the original. I paid less than $15 for the parts and needed 1 hour to build it. But I love the boutique pedal scene anyway...

Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #16
War Child

Have you someone of the harmonic transformer?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 06:41 AM
^ It'd be sweet to have the schematics on that one.
I don't have the same DBA pedals as Edge. I have an overdrive by them, which I absolutely LOVE, and I had a robot for a while but sold it because it was a one trick pony.
The Moska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #18
War Child

anyone that have the pedal... make a picture of the circuit but inverted... solded parts to see the circuit ways
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
War Child

anyone has pictures?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
War Child

anyone knows the dimensions of the box of the pedal?