Danelectro '56 U-2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileynumber13

Babyface
no, the guitar wasn't named for the band... however.. i was wondering what you guys think of this guitar..? i played one the other day and it was very smooth, lightweight, and had a good bright sound. however, i've only read a few reviews.. does anyone have any opinions? thanks...

I have owned a Dano U2 since 1998.

56-U2's are a reissue of the original Danelectro guitars, cheaply made to be affordable: Wooden frame, Masonite top and back, lipstick (yes, real lipstick) pickup covers.

What they didn't expect is that they'd get such a great tone from such lowly materials! So the U2 went on to become a rock & roll staple, with all it's variants (U1, with one pickup, DC with a double-cut body, and the quasi-acoustic Convertible).

Fast forward to 1998, and Evets corporation reissues the original guitars, but made in Korea, with all the specs spot-on, even the Masonite and the rosewood bridge.

Soundwise? It is very classic, don't expect metal tones here, the pickups have quite a low output and the hollowbody brings little sustain. But if you want vintage, cool rock 'n' roll tones, oh brother, this thing is just great for that. Few guitars have such a distinctive, recognizable tone. Clean, it takes you back to the 50s, distorted it gets a mean, thrashy lo-fi punk vibe.

Do I like it? Hell yes, between the Dano, my Telecaster, and my 60's Kay, I'm all set.

Oh, here's a pic of my Dano with a custom pickguard I made for her.

dano_white_pguard.jpg

Hope this helps. :wink:

I found one of these in a pawn shop a few summers ago and bought it for $50 (American). The pickups hum pretty badly (which is just virtue of a single coil) and I plan on replacing them soon, but it has a great tone for playing 60s rock-type music (like the Yardbirds, etc.).

Oh man, the magic of the tone is in the lipsticks...I wouldn't mess with it--or else risk losing the original Dano tone.

:wink:

The perfect louie louie guitar. Not the most reliable thing out there, but for the money they are quite fun and play well.. I doubt i would ever gig with one though.

Bolan_Rox, I know a few people who gig with Danelectros regularly as their main guitars. Once you get them all set up and tight, they are hardy things--proof of that is that you can find very old Danos in excellent condition!

By the way, I'm negotiating with a guy...I'll do some graphic design stuff for him, and my payment will be an original late 50's Danelectro Convertible.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom