Dallas Schoo interview 06.15.15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In that, I received a call from Dallas yesterday. He called to thank me for the shirt that I gave him at LA 3. Class act, that Dallas.

We talked about the tour and some gear things. Dallas has been super happy with the success of the SDD3000 pedal -- as a part of Edge's rig and as far as the sales to the general public; it's sold quite well.

I'd asked him about the Love Town era Clapton Strats. He said that Clapton's tech turned them on to them. They ran them through the paces during Love Town but it wasn't what they wanted in the end and hence, other than brief appearances on ZOO TV, they've not been seen again. Edge signed and gave Dallas the red Clapton.

It was super cool for Dallas to take the time to call. It was most appreciated. I look forward to another chat down the line/along the tour at some point.

Apparently at least Edge and Bono are really putting an effort to finish the upcoming album.

Song ideas often start with The Edge. And he's not one to sit around during a tour. So that isn't to say that Bono, Larry and/or Adam aren't interested or don't contribute.

From the sound of the interview, the material is more Volcano, less Every Breaking Wave. SOI is a great record but after hearing the extensive talk of Songs of Ascent being an ambient sort of album, it's great to hear that they are going for the bigger sounds for Songs of Experience.

In that, I received a call from Dallas yesterday. He called to thank me for the shirt that I gave him at LA 3. Class act, that Dallas.

We talked about the tour and some gear things. Dallas has been super happy with the success of the SDD3000 pedal -- as a part of Edge's rig and as far as the sales to the general public; it's sold quite well.

I'd asked him about the Love Town era Clapton Strats. He said that Clapton's tech turned them on to them. They ran them through the paces during Love Town but it wasn't what they wanted in the end and hence, other than brief appearances on ZOO TV, they've not been seen again. Edge signed and gave Dallas the red Clapton.

It was super cool for Dallas to take the time to call. It was most appreciated. I look forward to another chat down the line/along the tour at some point.

How did you get to meet him?

Sent from my ST26i using U2 Interference mobile app

Great interviews, thanks for posting. Dallas is one of the coolest guys ever. Had a drink with him several years back, actually several of us did, he was a very nice and down to earth guy.

The story about him bringing people into the show was very :up:

I like the idea that Sofe is going to hopefully be more rocking than Sofi

Actually the last half of Sofi is nearly perfect, so holding out to hope that the sugar & honey is left off of Sofe.

How did you get to meet him?

Sent from my ST26i using U2 Interference mobile app

I first met Dallas back during the ZooTV tour. The signs (and later shirts) started during that tour. It has carried on to the present tour.

I've gotten to speak with him before and after shows over the years. He called me after the Pasadena show on 360 -- to thank me for the 360 shirt I'd given him at 360 PHX show.

He told me he was going to frame the new shirt, as it was related to the successful Korg SDD 3000 Pedal. So that's pretty cool too.

Long story short, he's always been a gentleman - kind to the fans - kind to me... Which is a great thing. And as most that have been to show can attest - both the band and crew are all pretty cool down-to-earth folks.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

He really is he sweetest guy. No reflected fame ego going on, just super awesome dude who has a very obvious love of the instrument and his job. I've had the pleasure of chatting to him once or twice.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Danger Mouse work on SOI is among the best U2 delivered since Pop. I also agree... the 2nd half of SOI is perfect.

U2 losing focus in the recording of an album is on them, not a producer.

They are notoriously hard on producers. They've admitted as much.

They put Chris Thomas through the wringer during HTDAAB. Thomas is a great producer who has produced great iconic albums.

Producers aren't the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Producers aren't the issue.
No, its the band's insistence on continuously switching producers, abandoning what they've done and starting over again...many feel the Danger Mouse material to be some of the strongest on SOI, but yet they hire additional producers and re-record several tracks with them instead of trusting and releasing a large chunk of the DM produced material. So when Dallas says "yet another" producer...tells me they are in the same mindset and wouldn't expect SOE to see the light of day any time soon.

Did he say what happened to the yellow Clapton strat with the black pickguard?
Out of Edge's Clapton strats, that one was my favourite.

No, its the band's insistence on continuously switching producers, abandoning what they've done and starting over again...many feel the Danger Mouse material to be some of the strongest on SOI, but yet they hire additional producers and re-record several tracks with them instead of trusting and releasing a large chunk of the DM produced material. So when Dallas says "yet another" producer...tells me they are in the same mindset and wouldn't expect SOE to see the light of day any time soon.
Right. When people are talking about the young producer frustrations, they're not talking about Danger Mouse. They're talking about Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth.

Wait, so there are more producers in addition to Andrew Barlow and Jolyon Thomas? What the hell

Did he say what happened to the yellow Clapton strat with the black pickguard?

Out of Edge's Clapton strats, that one was my favourite.

One with pewter finish was my favorite, too bad he isn't even trying to resurrect that guitar any time soon

One with pewter finish was my favorite, too bad he isn't even trying to resurrect that guitar any time soon

The Clapton with the Rene Castro paint job was pretty cool. They'd even modified it more after the tour. The pick guard was swapped out to an mauve mirrored pick guard - Matching the paint scheme even more. That was the setup when it was in the R&R HOF special exhibit back in 2003.

Dallas didn't like the tone of the Clapton's. Edge lost confidence in the guitar's tone. Doubtful they will be seen again.

Maybe he can get Rene Castro to 'tart up' one of the new Strats? (Doubtful but it would look cool)

Last edited:

No... it's the band 'losing their nerve' at times. When Rattle and Hum was panned, they didn't take it well. When Pop was panned they really didn't take it well - to the point of not playing any of the songs since the Elevation tour. NLOTH took a critical hit and what happened? They abandoned lots of NLOTH songs by the end of the 2010 dates.

So if there is a criticism, it is that the band take it REAL personal when songs don't connect to everyone. That issues makes them guess, second and third guess themselves. This is why there are times that songs are abandoned, re-recorded for a umpteenth time with yet another producer.

It's a confidence issue. And if it takes trying every combination to know if a song words or not, if a song needs another hand in the mix or not... it is their right and their decision to do so.

Hi! Sorry for my English :reject:

Taking advantage of the review of Edge_Orchestra on Eric Clapton's Stratocaster, which is the sticker on the yellow strato, beyond the sticker "Do The Right Thing"?
I researched on the web and is not the boston celtics's sticker.

Thanks.

No... it's the band 'losing their nerve' at times. When Rattle and Hum was panned, they didn't take it well. When Pop was panned they really didn't take it well - to the point of not playing any of the songs since the Elevation tour. NLOTH took a critical hit and what happened? They abandoned lots of NLOTH songs by the end of the 2010 dates.

So if there is a criticism, it is that the band take it REAL personal when songs don't connect to everyone. That issues makes them guess, second and third guess themselves. This is why there are times that songs are abandoned, re-recorded for a umpteenth time with yet another producer.

It's a confidence issue. And if it takes trying every combination to know if a song words or not, if a song needs another hand in the mix or not... it is their right and their decision to do so.

I kinda hate when bands take critics too seriously; many of my favorite bands or albums were not taken seriosuly by critics but theyre still GREAT. I hope U2 just makes whatever they want to. Even though I kinda like it when people try new approaches to connec tto new audience. EXCEPT for Black Album, of coruse (talking of Metallica)

I kinda hate when bands take critics too seriously; many of my favorite bands or albums were not taken seriosuly by critics but theyre still GREAT. I hope U2 just makes whatever they want to. Even though I kinda like it when people try new approaches to connec tto new audience.

Unfortunately U2 is not just a 4 piece band. If that were the case they could really do whatever they want. They're also a multinational corporation, with a lot of people depending for their livelihood on their decisions. An album that doesn't sell means less food on a lot of people's tables. I heard that when sales of Pop bombed people at Island Records got laid off as a consequence. There are pictures of stadiums on the Popmart tour where some of the stands were empty. Imagine that, U2 shows not being sold out! No wonder they chose to go back to basic and play it more safe with ATYCLB.

That really does constrict a bands freedom to explore new music avenues and do whatever they want. This is a consequence of the choices U2 made in the 80's. They chose to become a super group like the Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd. A band like Radiohead on the other hand deliberately chose not to, even though they could have. As a result they have more independence and freedom to do whatever they want artistically.

EXCEPT for Black Album, of coruse (talking of Metallica)

I actually liked the Black Album. It was a refreshing change after the Justice album, which I thought was an artistic failure. Too hard trying to make another Master of Puppets and failing badly. It was also cool to see a thrash metal band become mainstream instead of all those glam and hair metal bands that terrorized us in the 80's. I did lose however all respects for them with the Load album. The Black Album at least was still metal. I still don't know what Load/Reload was all about. I suspect they were trying to imitate U2's Achtung Baby and Zoo TV. Rebranding themselves and trying to convince the world they were never a metal band. That and their Napster Crusade made me into a Metallica hater. The only way I can still stomach their old material is by pretending they all died in a horrible but secret accident and some whiny Metallica tribute band took their place instead.

I feel like what was bad about Pop was not the band's direction but how it was sold and promoted! People were (and still are) looking things at the wrong angle. I know Bono acknowledge that fact about sales not being a good measure of music's popularity and I love that attitude. That's why I think now is kinda time for anybody to make music freely because it's not gonna sell them anyway! You never know what's gonna be great or what will work; look at physics, something as trivial as the color of melted steel can ultimately lead to the flourishing of quantum mechanics!

Anyway, but I still feel bad for Pop not selling well and guys from Island got fired because Pop was a great record; sure, it's not the masterpiece and it had some songs that didn't have focus but I loved it. But I also know U2 won't be as good now if they actually continued that direction.......

About Metallica, they just tried too hard. Thrash metal in general is kinda doomed from beginning because it relied on very particular kind of styles and sonic capacity

I doubt that U2 are as important to their label now as they were in 1997. If they are, then the people that run their label are fucking idiots, because depending on an old band for the health of your company means that they've never paid attention to who sells record. Hint: it's not bands of 50 somethings with 35 years and 13 records behind them.

UMG has Drake, Florence and the Machine, Ariana Grande, Avicci, Iggy Azalea, The Band Perry, Florida Georgia Line, Imagine Dragons, Rihanna.... U2 don't compare to those bands in terms of hits any more.

If we're to think that U2's creative freedom is constrained by their obligations to keeping record co. workers employed then they probably have more freedom now than they've had since before the Joshua Tree. And when they were important to the label they made their most far-out music. And Pop sold better than Zooropa, so....

Anyway, if the record companies cared about not laying people off then they've been doing a piss-poor job of showing it, what with 20 years of consolidation of record companies (the secret reason why the industry is dying).

U2 play it safe because they want hits, not because they want to keep people employed. Didn't Principle Management get absorbed into Live Nation anyway? And we all know that kind of move results in people losing their jobs.

It's great that Bono's recognized that SOI was overly polished though, and that Edge and Larry know it was a mistake to try to force NLOTH to be a pop album. And Adam acknowledging that they might stop trying to reach a mass pop audience...those all point to U2 realizing that they can do whatever they want. That fearlessness is what lead them to make their best work and be legends anyway.

As for the producer switching, I'd normally be inclined to think it's a bad idea, and I was really irritated by U2 working with Tedder, who's band I think is abominable. BUT Tedder worked wonders with Every Breaking Wave. The version with DM isn't nearly as good. Sure, the back half of SOI is a lot better, but I think that comes down to the songs being better rather than who was producing. For an album with so many different producers, engineers, and mixers it sounds very cohesive. The front half is slicker and poppier because it's a U2 record and they're almost all like that.

The only way I can still stomach their old material is by pretending they all died in a horrible but secret accident and some whiny Metallica tribute band took their place instead.

Death Magnetic sounded like they are their own tribute band. I feel like they need to clone or revive Cliff or something

Back
Top Bottom