Dallas Schoo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dallas began working for The Edge just before The Joshua Tree tour.

Daniel Lanois was working with Robbie Robertson. Robbie needed a guitar worked on. Dallas was working with another band in the same studio... I think it was Mr. Mister, at the time... Daniel liked what he saw and told The Edge.

Around this time The Edge's rig was becoming more complex. Well, it actually started to get a bit more complex during Unforgettable Fire album and tour. I think Edge figured out that Steve Raines didn't have the technical prowess required for the more sophisticated gear so it was time to find someone that did.... that someone was Dallas Schoo.

Dallas seems like such a great tech. He really takes care of everything, making sure everything is correct with Edge's preference, and I think he's got one of the toughest tech jobs out there. The Edge has such a enormously complex rig and Dallas takes care of it all. Serious :applaud: for Dallas!

Yeah definitely! I'd hate to re-string all those guitars. Although I could use some practice as I suck at restringing my own guitars. Well I mean I can get then strung up but I don't wrap around the posts enough times. Just wondering, since we're on the subject of stringing guitars, does anyone know if how many times you wrap strings around the post make a difference in how well the strings hold their tuning? I just re-strung my acoustic yesterday and I only did about 1-2 times around on each string. It's not held it's tuning very well since. Of course I think they do need some playing and stretching before they can hold.

Sorry to de-rail the thread.:reject:

Not only the rig, think about the 30-40 guitars he has to restring and tune before each show, especially the 12-strings :)

Might be possible if he re-strung a backup guitar that was not played, he might not have to re-string that one the next day? Possible.

Even if that is the case, there is still a ton of work for him to do.

But as in the recent video, since Dallas played the Pelham Blue SG in that interview... I'm guessing that he needed to re-string it so that it would be ready should Edge need it.

Really? Do they all need to be re-strung before every show? I'd think maybe once a week on rotation barring a broken string live.

Wow. That's intense. Obviously I don't follow this as much as all of you, but that seems like overkill to me--even for the biggest band in the world.

Wow. That's intense. Obviously I don't follow this as much as all of you, but that seems like overkill to me--even for the biggest band in the world.

Yes and no. It is over the top to change strings on guitars he doesn't use, although as Edge_Orchestra correctly states that might not always be the case cause frankly what's the point?

On used guitars however, fresh strings to make a diff, especially if you consider Edge using the pimpled part of his Herdim picks, which do wear out the strings faster than usual. Of course you'll ask "no one will hear the diff if the strings haven't been changed between gigs," but Edge himself will for sure. I've read an interview w/ Dallas once about this and whether it's really necessary and Dallas said that he tried it once on him not to change strings during soundcheck and Edge immediately noticed.

You might call it diva-like, but it's those small details that make "his" sound.

By the way, this is a great interview. Especially in the 2nd video and the talk about the Korg's being unreliable and him being in talks w/ Korg to get a pedal version out???!! If it wouldn't be custom like the Line6 DM, that would be absolutely awesome!!!

It's crazy anyway how Korg completely ignored the SDD's and A3. SDD re-issues, I'm sure, would sell like crazy...

YouTube - MR Dallas schoo
YouTube - Part 2 of Dallas schoo

By the way, this is a great interview. Especially in the 2nd video and the talk about the Korg's being unreliable and him being in talks w/ Korg to get a pedal version out???!! If it wouldn't be custom like the Line6 DM, that would be absolutely awesome!!!

It's crazy anyway how Korg completely ignored the SDD's and A3. SDD re-issues, I'm sure, would sell like crazy...

YouTube - MR Dallas schoo
YouTube - Part 2 of Dallas schoo

Where some have made clones of the pre-amp in the SDD-3000, wondering if this will be the pre-amp AND delay?

Clone of the pre-amp works very good with other delays to sound similar to SDD-3000. But... if they can get the pre-amp AND delay in a pedal... Nice.

On another note... I still laugh everytime I see a post on a forum complain "why does he need to change strings all the time" or "he doesn't HAVE to have that many guitars..." Let the boy do what he wants and what works best for him. It's not like he's hurting anyone. And he certainly isn't blowing his money on hookers and coke. Geez.

Found this pic elsewhere...

Not from the most recent tour... NOT even from his time with U2.

BUT... Recognize THIS guy?

l.jpg

Dallas Schoo!

Firefall was the first band that he worked for.

Back
Top Bottom