Could My Problem Be the Action?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
I have an acoustic guitar. I've had it for four months or so. The fourth and sixth frets suddenly sound shitty. It sounds like the fifth and seventh frets are too high and that they're blocking the fourth and sixth if they vibrate more than a little bit. It comes out as a weak twang sound when I play on them, especially on the high E string. I mentioned this issue to a friend and he said it's probably the action. Can anyone confirm this and recommend what I do?

Ya, if your playing a fret and your hearing like buzzing or something the strings are probably too low to the fretboard and the neck needs to be bowed differently. If youve never adjusted the neck with the truss rod inside it...get a music store to do it. My advice is just to take it in, its not expensive to do it.

Could be action, could be the fret too if you're pressing and the sound is bad. I dont think action has much to do with how bad the note sounds, just how high above the neck it is.

You can take it to a guitar shop and they'll sort thea action and stuff out for you, its better to get them to do it since accoustics arn't as easy to do as electrics.

It could be a combination of neck relief, action, and fret levelling issues. If I had to guess, I'd say that fret levelling is the primary culprit, based on the description. Some of the frets may need to be filed down a tiny bit. For that I would take it to a guitar tech. The action and truss rod is something you can read about and learn to adjust on your own.

When I first bought it, there were no issues. Could fret leveling still be an issue, even if that's the case?

I'm probably taking it into the shop this week. Thanks for the help.

yeah, i would take it to the shop too. my local guitar shop works wonders with my guitars, and never charges me anything. :)

Back
Top Bottom