compressor ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
what does this do?
i hear that edge uses alot of 'compression', but i don't know what the sound causes. if you could explain an example of what compression does, ie) wah is the funky sound in mysterious ways,or, delay in with or without you, that would be great.

Delay isn't used in With or without you. I thought he was using something I've heard to be referred to as the Infinite Guitar which holds the note for god knows how long. Edge uses Delay for all those choppy, repeating, rythmic guitar riffs such as Streets, Bad, Electric Co. etc. Also, (irrelevant) a Live version of Mothers of the Dissapeared I just happen to be listening to (Live from Chicago 1987 if anyone's interested.) that is all...

To answer your question, compression is generally used to keep the volume or loudness of the notes played consistent, e.g. it brings the volume of the quieter notes up and/or reduces the volume of the louder ones so that, whether hit hard or not, they sound more or less the same in volume once processed. Compression is used so often in the studio and live (it is far easier to mix/record sound when it is kept in a fixed range than not) that I would expect it was present in some form or another in pretty much every recording ever made, whether the Edge is on it or not, so I can't point you in a particular direction... I suppose the guitar in the intro to Streets is compressed a bit, so too is the guitar sound that Andy Summers gets on Every Breath, though in neither case is it glaringly obvious... it is one of those effects that is used so often most people don't realise it's there at all... Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Paddy...delay is used in WOWY! During the solo it's easiest to hear

I can barely name a U2 song where the Edge doesn't use delay

Party Girl maybe?
40 definitely for Edge (Adam uses delay for his lead guitar)
Sunday Bloody Sunday

The solo, HOW THE HELL DID I FORGET THAT?! I am BLOODY sorry! Seriously, i totally forgot about that! Crumbs....do I look stupid...don't answer that..

Actually Paddy I don't think the question was about delay at all, except to illustrate the kind of answer required. :)

for christ's sake...a man can make mistakes can't he? Do you really need to highlight them and put a sneering little fucking SMILE?! No I don't think you did...

i've really had it with this place...

Last edited:
Paddy, no offence was intended. As a personal courtesy I politely ask you to remain civil if and when you reply to me in future. Thank you.

Do you? Tough. Thank YOU :)

What has anyone done for me to expect civil replies from me except ignore what I say, correct anything I put forward or thumbs down any suggestions or calls for help with something...

I know Edge uses compression in Streets, Bad, Heartland, and many songs in Rattle & Hum/Joshua Tree era esp. live.

Back
Top Bottom