Classical Composers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Tree

War Child
Just out of curiosity, who's your favorite classical composer? and/or what's your favorite classical piece?

I'm sure most of us have a wide variety of stuff we listen to.
smile.gif

------------------
"Only the dead shall see the end of war." ~ Plato

SlipStream Soul

I don't think I can answer that...just one???
Prokofiev, Beethoven, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Wagner,Puccini, I could go on and on.
My favorite piece?? That depends on the week.
For this week:
Mendelssohn-Violin Concerto e minor(played by Joshua Bell)

Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, Debussy, Liszt, Shostakovich, Mozart, Bach, Scriabin, Ravel, Puccini....the list goes on and on. I tend to prefer romantic music, and as a pianist I have a strong preference for composers who wrote extensively for piano.

And my favorite piece varies from day to day. My favorite that I've performed is Liszt's Vall?e d'Obermann just because I actually pulled it off (it's 12 minutes long!), but I also love Chopin Nocturnes (Cm Op.48 No.1 in particular), Polonaise (F#m, Heroic, and Cm Op.40 no.2), and small pieces like Scriabin Etude in C#m, Op.2 no.1.

For bigger scale works...Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto, Brahms 2nd piano concerto (one of the greatest of all piano concertos, imo), Beethoven Symphony #5 and 9. My favorite symphonic movement is probably the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony.

I could go on for quite some time...
smile.gif

Dieman, can you recomend some good Piano and or Violin concertos? I really go for romantic pieces, mood music, the kind of classical that has aged well.

Can I make a suggestion(even though I am not diemen)
Prokifiev Piano concertos #3(#2 is alright)
Mendelssohn Violin concerto
Beethoven Violin concerto
I hate Rachmanivof(sp?)piano concertos, so listen at your own risk, although many people enjoy them.

I don't understand why you'd hate Rachmaninoff piano concertos, Mrs. Clayton - not a romantic fan? I think a lot of Rachmaninoff's work has gotten unfair criticism simply because it's openly romantic music written in the 20th century. As if it's not innovative enough or something. I think it's very unique, and very well written, and more complex than it's given credit for.

Anyway Johnny - the two piano concertos I mentioned above are great. Here are some more off the top of my head:

Rachmaninoff 3rd piano concerto (the main piece in the movie Shine - an incredibly difficult work)
Schumann Piano Concerto (another one of my favorites)
Saint-Saens Piano Concerto #2
Ravel Piano Concerto in G
Franck Symphonic variations
Grieg Piano Concerto
Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #1
Chopin Piano Concertos 1 & 2 (not quite as sophisticated as some others, but if you like Chopin's solo piano music, you'll like this)

I agree with Mrs. Clayton on the Beethoven and Mendelssohn violin concertos - they're quite good. I'll add the Brahms Violin Concerto and his double concerto for violin and cello.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 02-16-2002).]

I forgot about these...
Beethoven piano sonatas(moonlight, pathetique-did I spell that right?)

Diemen, it's not that I don't like the Rachmaninoff, it's so bloomin long. I think I just had bad experiences with it. Isn't it close to an hour long?

Oh geesh, so many. I have played the violin for 10 years and we have played so many things I love. Hmmm...here's a good list:
**Gershwin: Porgy and Bess. It was a bitch to play but it is SO fantastic, especially Summertime!
**Tchaikovsky: Anything really, but mainly his suite for strings.
**Grieg: Holberg suite movements 1,3, and 4.
**Schumann: The Unfinished or 8th Symphony. Oh, that one gets me everytime.
I also like playing in the pit for musicals, I've done Guys and Dolls and Bye Bye Birdie. G&D was great! So much fun music to play. We're working on Sound of Music now. It is this ginormous pack of music. 15 minutes of playing...meh, it should be fun.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

You're a victim of your parents.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
I forgot about these...
Beethoven piano sonatas(moonlight, pathetique-did I spell that right?)

Diemen, it's not that I don't like the Rachmaninoff, it's so bloomin long. I think I just had bad experiences with it. Isn't it close to an hour long?

I think it's around half an hour (maybe 40 minutes). I just think it's gorgeous music, plus it's one of the few piano concertos I've heard live performed by a famous pianist (Van Cliburn).

Since you mentioned Beethoven piano sonatas...the Appassionata is said to have been Beethoven's favorite sonata (and it's one of my favorite sonatas, too). The Pastoral and Tempest are also really good.

Why didn't I see this post sooner! Jesus! LOL

Well, as a classical musician (piano since 5, and percussion since 7 - attended Interlochen Arts Camp 95-98 and Interlochen Arts Academy 95-99 and now debating whether or not to do classical music as my career....here goes ( you lucky people get to put up with this!)

My classical composer favorites range anywhere from the Gregorian Chant stuff to the modern composer, including my own Doctoral Candidate brother at The Julliard School, Matthew Fuerst.

Frankly, as a percussionist, I prefer the more late Romantic or 20th Century Composers the most. They write more percussion and to me, have some of the greatest score writing I have heard.

Take for instance Mahler. Gustav Mahler. The man is a genius. What he did for Classical music is what Led Zeppelin did for Rock. He revolutionized it bigtime! Ya ya, you think how. Well for many reasons. For the first time, symphonies were written in a grand massive scale. I mean huge! Yea, I know you say, Beethoven wrote huge symphonies. True, but nothing like Mahler. Let me explain.

First of all, Mahler incorporated HUGE orchestras in his writing. Including in one of his later symphonies a full 14 piece Horn section!! He also use two timpani players in his pieces, which was unheard of, save for Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique. With that, the offstage brass band in the last movement of his second symphony the Ressurection. Another point about that...during that section, in the scoring, the Brass Band is in a different tempo and time signature than the Orchestra. It fits, when you listen, as it sounds like they are playing in time. BUt when you look at the score, it is bizzare - for back then - two different time signatures.

Also included in this is group would be Stravinsky. Igor Stravinsky. The man behind the messed up writings. His Rite of Spring was booed and turned down at the premiere. It was so out there! For 1914, it was wierdest thing anyone ever heard, especially with the scantilly clad ballet dancers. He used such disonant writings in his piece that it blew everyone away. Though, to me, is writing is fantastic! That is considered a masterpiece today.

But to sum it all up, my favorite composer would have to be Dmitri Shostakovich. I swear, if I was gay, I was his gay lover in the old days. This man, for one, had his life on the line by Stalin. Stalin pretty much told him what he could and couldn't write. The famous fifth symphony was said to be anti-communism in Stalin's eyes. And he threatened Shostakovich to shape up or else he would die. The 4th mvt of that sympohony was too slow and had to be sped up, but now adays, orchestras play it at the right tempo. His score writing is phenominal. Great brass parts. Interesting string parts. And of course, he KNEW how to write percussion.

The 7th Symphony subtitled "Leningrad" is a portrait of the Nazi's siezing Leningrad. It is very descriptive and you can hear them marching into Leningrad and taking it over. (Incidentally, Shostakovich uses a theme from Bartok's 4th mvt of his Concerto for Orchestra to use as the theme for the Nazi's march that repeats over and over for a whole 10 minutes).

His 10th Symphony, was a portrait of Stalin. After Stalin died, Shostakovich was free to write whatever he wished. And the second mvt, is a very strict portait of his anger for Stalin, and his hatred (check it out!)

His 11th Symphony, subtitled "The Year: 1905" is a depicition of the Russian Revolution, the tzar being overthrown. This is my favorite piece. It was one of the last pieces I did at Interlochen. And everyone cried at the end. It is so powerful. In the second mvt, the citizens go to pay homage to the tzar (which is very true) and they didn't know he wasn't home. A trumpet call sounds and these guards surround some 200-300 citizens and masacre all of them. (and it is pictured so perfectly in the music).

I know I went on, and I could go on longer. Classical music is my passion, my life. But for the sake of your eyes, I will end here. If you'd like to discuss more about this, email me

U2Interlochen@aol.com

Latas

Back
Top Bottom