Chime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
to really get that chinging chimey sound is basically his picks believe it or not. he uses herdim picks made in germany. these picks have small dimples on them for grip. instead of useing the pointed tip of the pick as most players do edge uses the dimple side to rake the strings. the end result is a crispy chiming sound. you can purchase these picks at apollosaxes.com.

Edge's tone comes down to a variety of factors, including guitars, amps, compressors, delay, modulation, and EQ, just to name a couple things. The picks may have a slight impact, but do not expect to sound "chimey" like the Edge (I'm assuming you mean songs like "Where The Streets Have No Name," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and "With Or Without You") simply because of them.

lyra14 said:
Edge's tone comes down to a variety of factors, including guitars, amps, compressors, delay, modulation, and EQ, just to name a couple things. The picks may have a slight impact, but do not expect to sound "chimey" like the Edge (I'm assuming you mean songs like "Where The Streets Have No Name," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and "With Or Without You") simply because of them.

I couldn't agree more - the picks are a SMALL part of the sound - the vintage stompboxes, amps and guitars are much more important. Herdim picks are overrated!

Edge still has a very chimey sound on Boy. Don't tell me he had the rig he has now back then. As far as I know, it was just an AC-30 and a Memory Man. What say you?

-Nick

an equalizer pedal goes a long way. i know back on Boy Edge had an AC-30, a couple Memory Man pedals, and a Boss SD-1 (i think). if you put an equalizer pedal after the SD-1, arrange the knobs in a diagonal line, cutting out the low tones and turning up the high tones. even do it on your amp. it'll make the sound alot brighter and drier.

discothequeLP said:
an equalizer pedal goes a long way. i know back on Boy Edge had an AC-30, a couple Memory Man pedals, and a Boss SD-1 (i think). if you put an equalizer pedal after the SD-1, arrange the knobs in a diagonal line, cutting out the low tones and turning up the high tones. even do it on your amp. it'll make the sound alot brighter and drier.

You're right, EQing my amp like that helps, but it still doesn't have that glassy sheen. I don't need to get the sound exactly, I have my own personal tone... this is all out of curiosity.

-Nick

If you playing with a strat, the tone controls will go a long way to getting that "chime" effect. That and herdims seem to be the way forward, although you can use other picks with the dimple grips. I use the Jim Dunlop ones

I always keep my strat tone controls at full (the brightest sound) and my volume near full. And I use the bridge / middle position (second position, I think?) mostly.

-Nick

i always have to turn up all the knobs when i play a strat. . . . even turning down the volume a little takes some out of your tone.

and Herdmin picks are thet best picks ever made. they're expensive but worth it. they never break or rip or crack, and they can play forever unless you lose them or wear out the dimples.

btw, boss SD-1 = best $40 ive ever spent on a guitar. its so damn good!

I've just purchased a few Dunlop Tortex picks from the local guitar store. They have a ripple along one edge, they're really funky looking. They look like the Herdim 3-in-1. They sound AMAZING. Using the rippled edge, with my tone cranked bright, I can get a very very good Joshua Tree era Edge sound.

-Nick

Last edited:
alot of people say effects-> EQ and all the usual stuff

in my opinon a BIG part of the sound is simply the vox
AC30tb amp if you can hit the sweet spot on a vox amp
then your on your way its 90% of the sound the rest is technique/herdim pics to bring out the chime..

BB Mac

Ive jsut bought a load of herdims. I think they play a big part get that chimey twang.

For instance, when i play the into say I will Follow using normal picks, it sounds ok. Using the herdims it sounds quite a bit different.

The same on vertigo - the picked parts stand out alot more using the herdims.

Also - for some reason i can play faster using the herdims upside down! - so im all for the herdims!

well..saying that - i got some from musiccorner.co.uk i think it was. I paid just over £5 for 7 herdims including postage.

Which isnt too bad i think - bearing in mind a pint in London is £3.50! So for a pint and half you can get yourself some herdims!

Back
Top Bottom