Check Out My Cover of "The Fly"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe8pizza

The Fly
I recorded it myself and play all the instruments and did all the vocals. you can hear it at www.myspace.com/joewmusic first song on the playlist.Lemme know what you guys think! I was thinking about maybe trying to get a copy of the song to someone in the band, figured they might enjoy it!:)

nice cover man, bit different, like ur cover of all along the watchtower as well. what chord progression you using for it? doesn't sound like the standard C#m B A ?

I basically do it AM to Alt G to F5 to G5. In the begining I kinda likely pick some of the notes of those chords, and then as the song goes on I just strum. The bob tune is a fave of mine to do live! Still havent done "The Fly" yet live, but Im looking forward to it:)

Thanks guys for all the great feedback, Im currently workin on some new original material, Ill def let you all know when its finished.

Great cover of The Fly and I love your take on All Along The Watchtower, so chillin' man:wink:

I actually really appreciate that cover in particular because it's really different from my take on the song:wink:

Its kinda funny how I came to covering that song, basically I was sittin there with my guitar and I was like, haha I wanna play the fly , so I started jammin on some basic chords and and then I made a quick recording of it, and IM like "Hey I can actually pull this song off!" so then after I recorded it , and I had a total blast recording it!:) Like I said b4, me and some friend are gonna try to get a cd with it on it to Bono somehow, haha I should maybe try to hand it to him from the pit, but who knows the disc might end up a frisbee .

joe8pizza said:
I should maybe try to hand it to him from the pit, but who knows the disc might end up a frisbee .

Quite likely, with the way Bono is sometimes. Watch your heads in the bomb shelter... What gear do you use for recording and adding effects to vocals? I always want to have a go at adding the lyrics, but usualy just make backing tracks. My singing skills are not errrm as tight as they could be :wink:

am22884 said:

Quite likely, with the way Bono is sometimes. Watch your heads in the bomb shelter... What gear do you use for recording and adding effects to vocals? I always want to have a go at adding the lyrics, but usualy just make backing tracks. My singing skills are not errrm as tight as they could be :wink:

I got a pair of MXL condenser mics, some old calrec condensers, some 57s, and a 58. I run the mics into a mackie mixer into a delta 66 interface into my pc, from there I record it into sonar 4.0 producer edition,as for effects ive grown quite attached to the waves plugins:) I also got some Wharfdale diamond 8.2 monitors for mixing and just for good ole fashion listening to music:)

I was thinking about maybe recording another song sometime, in between recording stuff for my album, maybe "Unfogetable Fire"?

U2 Beginner said:
That is fucking amazing!!!! Bloody well done!:up: What would Bono think?

Haha I dont know, I tried getting him a disc of it at the Philly show with springsteen, but im pretty sure security trashed it:( I recently made a recording of "Please", Ill let you all you know when its up.:wink:

am22884 said:

Quite likely, with the way Bono is sometimes. Watch your heads in the bomb shelter...

Im not being funny but would that really excite Bono?

Dont get me wrong is a good cover but apart from that & flatery I dont think its really going to anything for him

From what I know of him I believe he would be much more inspired by something differen or original.

Also you cant just hand out ur Cd's to an Artist

It dosent work like that anymore, the heavies will just bin them or snap them in 2

The Reason...

If U2 ever wrote a song with a similar tune Part Lyric etc it opens up the oportunity for people to claim they "Stole" their song, part etc

Its known as "unsolicited material" & therfore will not be listend to

This is what happens with unsigned bands pitching to record labels etc. They need to be "Solicited" via lawyers managers, literature etc

Hey Guys, Sorry for the delay in replying to the thread. I didnt realize that the thread would come back again. I just re uploaded my "The Fly" cover for those of you havent heard it yet.I also got a cover of "Please" up as well. So pretty much, its a U2 track day for all! I also got some rough mixes of some original tunes on my site from my upcoming EP up. I'd love to know what the fans of the greatest band in the world think:)

www.myspace.com/joewmusic

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom