Chance to buy an Fender Stratocaster '79, but without playing it beforehand. yes/no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sushbone

Babyface
Hi,

I might have the chance to buy a Fender Stratocaster '79, all black, with original parts. I am looking for a replacement for my MIM Stratocaster for a Fender USA, preferable all black, close to Edge's one's of course ;-).
I wonder if I should take the risk to get it "unplayed". I heard, besides the 70's were special due to the headstock, 3-bolt and weight, that the instruments from the 70's are the CBS era where they differ much in quality?
The Edge's all black was also a CBS one wasnt it?
Would you take the risk to buy it unplayed, probably at around 1000 bucks? On the other hand, I might be able to resell it in case it doesnt suit, with hopefully not too much loss?

Don't do it.

Could be a lot of money for a dog of a guitar.

70's Strats were inconsistent and some just plain awful. Edge has found the diamonds in the rough.

It would be better to play or at least be certain there is a good return policy if the thing shows up and it has issues.

No return option unfortunately (ebay). :-(
I tend not to do it, because when buying a "normal" guitar is a risk without playing, even more it seems it is when buying 70s strats. A lot of ppl gave me the same warning like you did.
On the other hand, I'd like a original 70s fender Strat in black so much... oh my... :-/

Hmm, on the one hand a $1000 for a guitar you haven't seen in person seems a lot of money. Then again, that guitar seems to be in too good a state for a vintage instrument to only be worth a $1000. Surely a good vintage guitar that's 36 years old should be worth a lot more then that?

A good rule of thumb is that if something is too good to be true, it usually is. Live by that and you might miss on a few good things, but you'll also be spared a lot of bad things.

Back
Top Bottom