Calling all GUITAR GURU's (twilight)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
1) in twilight- at the very first of edges solo- with the slide- it says you have to hit

With slide......................................................
1|---------------------------------|-------23-\21--23-\21----------|
2|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|
3|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|
4|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|
5|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|
6|-23-\21--23-\21--23-\21--23-\21--23-\21------------------23-\21--|

How do you get that high to hit 23 frets, do you need a special guitar with 24 frets(if so what guitars have above 22 frets)?
Also in a pink floyd song called "high hopes" He hits high note on the 36th fret- how the heck, it sounds so sweet, but how does he get that high??????

Also I am having trouble with this part of the solo,

1|---------------------------------|-----------------------0---0---|
2|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|
3|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|
4|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|
5|-20.5\19-20.5\19-21-\19--21-\19--22.5~~~-----21~~~------------
6|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|

is it just me or does it seem immposible to play this part fast enough?

And what are some good guitar slides to buy- is a Gibson guitar slide good, or should I just go straight and buy a ebow?
thanks

hmm . . . if you have a slide you can play a note that would be on the 23rd fret. . . I do believe that Edge's Rickenbacker has 24 frets actually.

As for the part about the 36th fret, you can always play it on the higher strings, or use a whammy pedal to raise the note an octave or two.

macphisto23 said:

Also in a pink floyd song called "high hopes" He hits high note on the 36th fret- how the heck, it sounds so sweet, but how does he get that high??????

If you watch the video (or concert) you can see it's not a "guitar". It's some "horizontal" instrument with strings like guitar which can produce notes that are very high. Like on High Hopes (great solo there :drool: )
:wink:

There's also a specific technique you can use to get notes to sound unnaturally high. I can't really explain it...you sort of have to be just slightly touching the string you're playing (with your right hand), and pick the string hard. If you're lucky, you'll get a high pitched sound that you could probably never reproduce naturally on any fretboard. Some people find that pinching the string a little when you play it helps to get the same sound. Edge might be doing that in Twilight...but I might be wrong, all the same. :wink:

Edit: looking back on what I wrote, I realised I might give you the wrong impression - what I'm referring to might be confused with natural harmonics. It's actually called pinch harmonics. http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/harmonics/pinch/index.php

Last edited:
Yes i'm pretty sure he doesn't use a slide. He just bends 7 to 9 on the g sring and pinches it for the high notes. Then 9 to 11, 11 to 12, and 12 to 14. The rest of the solo is basically just on the high e...15,0,0,12,0,0,17,etc. It's pretty easy to figure out from there.

Back
Top Bottom