Bullet The Blue Sky effects (Studio/Zoo TV) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:59 AM
All this talk of different muffs and fuzzes makes me so glad that I'm totally happy with the Helix. I'm 6 months GAS-free now. The amount of money I've saved in that time is staggering.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:57 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:59 AM
do those multi effects have models for bunch of different Muffs? my Digitech only has a model for more modern NY Muff which is fine, but i personally like Russian sound more

Old 10-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 PM
The Axe only has a single Muff model. Some say its a Triangle, others a NYC Muff. On my Line6 Pod HD500 Line6 said they modeled their Muff model after a Triangle. Neither of them sounds as good as my Violet Ram clones.

I reckon that with the staggering amounts of flavors to chose from, Fractal and Line6 decided there was no way to please anyone anyway, so they decided to stick with one model. And let the users customize that, as unlike the average Muff you get a lot more tone controls. Treble, bass, mids, parametric EQ, to name a few. But I know on the Axe forum there is a demand for more Muff models. It's just that they can't seem to agree on which. Although the bass players can probably agree on the Green Russian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
All this talk of different muffs and fuzzes makes me so glad that I'm totally happy with the Helix. I'm 6 months GAS-free now. The amount of money I've saved in that time is staggering.
Good for you! I experienced the same thing myself. Unfortunately most of those savings go into guitar building instead.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

right, i mean guys at Fractal may have thought that stacking and tweaking the stock Muff would probably allow people to emulate their favorite Muff; i personally like the sound of green ones more than the others but it might be because I'm using a strat; the mid on my guitar is a bit weak so i would like some mid boost. The unfortunate thing is that my Digitech unit doesn't specify which Muff it's based on but i assume it's based on modern versions which is kinda harsh sounding and mid scooped

well I recently got very interested in modular synths so i might be playing completely different instrument or at least start blowing my money on these Euroracks.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'zin View Post
Good for you! I experienced the same thing myself. Unfortunately most of those savings go into guitar building instead.
My savings went into my recording set up. MacBook Pro with the big screen, 1TB SSD, 16gb RAM, fastest available processor, UAD Apollo Twin Quad (and a bunch of plugins). And now with all of that, I've been addicted to playing Skyrim over the last two months when I'm not playing live with people. Go figure!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I hear tons of good things about Apollo Twin Quad, including the quality of amp sims in the plugin. do you actually use amp sim in the unit or you use Helix for that, tourist?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I hear tons of good things about Apollo Twin Quad, including the quality of amp sims in the plugin. do you actually use amp sim in the unit or you use Helix for that, tourist?
I've used the unison amp sims for bass. Otherwise it's all Helix. I use the compressors and tape sims a lot.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
My savings went into my recording set up. MacBook Pro with the big screen, 1TB SSD, 16gb RAM, fastest available processor, UAD Apollo Twin Quad (and a bunch of plugins). And now with all of that, I've been addicted to playing Skyrim over the last two months when I'm not playing live with people. Go figure!
That's awesome! Do you have a physical amp you still use/mic up to record with?
I play through a 212 Blues deVille and just can't imagine turning my back on it, even if I do splash out on a setup like Tourist's
Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
That's awesome! Do you have a physical amp you still use/mic up to record with?
I play through a 212 Blues deVille and just can't imagine turning my back on it, even if I do splash out on a setup like Tourist's
I have a 3rd Power Extra Chimey for when I play out. And I run my Helix into it. For recording, I don't have the capacity to play loud. But the Helix sounds really, ridiculously good. I got rid of my 5-Strymon (plus more!) board and don't feel like I'm losing anything.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:41 AM   #25
Refugee

The UAD Apollo Twin Quad? Mother of Chrome!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The UAD Apollo Twin Quad? Mother of Chrome!
Since getting the computer and the Apollo Twin Quad, I have not run low on DSP at all. And I haven't done a thing to consolidate tracks (e.g. making submixes and putting all the plugs there instead of on individual tracks). My last MacBook and Apogee Duet 2iOS strugggggggled with less tracks.

The only downside is my recording setup is less portable now, since the Apollo is necessary to run UAD plugs and needs to be powered from the wall (unfortunately it can't be powered by USB... yet).
Old 10-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

do you guys know free/affordable plugins for amp sims? the GarageBand amp sim kinda sucks and my multi effect doesn't do the best job either.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:40 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
do you guys know free/affordable plugins for amp sims? the GarageBand amp sim kinda sucks and my multi effect doesn't do the best job either.
GarageBand's isn't bad. You're just not used to hearing amps that you play through via headphones. It's like the sound of a mic'd amp that's in a soundproof room. It doesn't sound like amp-in-the-room. You just gotta get used to that or you'll drive yourself crazy if you're trying to play at low/silent volume.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:12 AM   #29
Refugee

Also, the million dollar question: how are you listening to your own music? Headphones? PC speaker set? FRFR studio speakers? Gotta have the last ones.

I agree about getting used to impulse response cab sims. They will never sound like playing through your own amp, as sound coming from a guitar cab changes with distance, position of the player and room acoustics. Its basically a cone of sound that comes from your cab, which also reverberates against the room. And guitarists, and bass players too for that matter, often forget, that what sounds good on the sweet spot where they are standing, may sound like getting hit with ice picks a few meters further to their fellow band members. Or like getting hit in the nuts with a low hammer in the case of a bass player. This is what often causes volume wars and bitter arguments within bands. Even causing breakups. It's also why chasing that amp in the room feel sound is so futile in the case of modelers. Whoever made the impulse response just cannot compensate and correct for the acoustics of the room of whoever will end up using it. And why should they, as most people are chasing after famous guitar tones of of famous recordings. Which are almost always close miked up guitar cabs. Just look at pics of Edge's amps. In some cases the mics are even stuck into the speaker cloth. That close.

My dream is off a silent rehearsal. I've gotten this 16 channel X-18 Behringer mixer and my dream is that every one goes into the mixer, and then gets his or hers individual mix back over their headphones. And then there will be no more volume wars. And if somebody thinks some bandmember is too loud, they can just adjust their own mix. And since the X-18 can also function as a recording interface we could record and mix our rehearsals.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
My dream is off a silent rehearsal. I've gotten this 16 channel X-18 Behringer mixer and my dream is that every one goes into the mixer, and then gets his or hers individual mix back over their headphones. And then there will be no more volume wars. And if somebody thinks some bandmember is too loud, they can just adjust their own mix. And since the X-18 can also function as a recording interface we could record and mix our rehearsals.
That's so Rock n Roll