bought my first electric guitar last weekend!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uwwedoogie

Rock n' Roll Doggie
finally off the old acoustic and onto the cool electric, but one question I cant play like The Edge...for example when I play Miracle Drug it sounds nothing like MD when The Edge is playing...my guitar isnt out of tune can anybody help me?

i have no effects!! theres my problem, a yamaha guitar...its cool for my first one then hopefully in about a year or next christmas i'll get the gibson...you know the one

I remember getting my first electric guitar when I was 19.

I was a total numpty and had no clue whatsoever about effects. I shredded my fingers learning to play Where The Streets Have No Name at album speed. Took ages. I was proud as punch until I found out that I was playing it the hard way!!

uwwedoogie said:
i have no effects!! theres my problem, a yamaha guitar...its cool for my first one then hopefully in about a year or next christmas i'll get the gibson...you know the one

A Yamaha? A strat I guess...
I have one called EG-112 It's a good start guitar, but as you go along you'll realize there's a lot of other guitars that beats it to its sound and how its looks.:wink:
Good luck anyway!
:wink: :wink:

And a Gibson!:drool:
I have a Epiphone Dot model which is my best sounding guitar IMO, but a Gibson!!:drool: :drool:
I'll cross my fingers for you:wink:

i had the boss me30 was quite good for the beginning years and probably about 120 euros now 2nd hand. except for distortion/flanger and stuff they tend to suck, but delay and reverb, chorus are quite good though, happy playing with the guitar!

Probably its much better to get a boss out of the gt series, but quite expensive, they have 24 bit sounds.

cheers!

tuwie said:
sorry, total newbie here, what is a delay?

Delay is the repeats or echo you hear in guitar playing.

It is the key to Edge's sound. You can choose your delay time (how long it takes for the sound to repeat), and Edge has his delays in some sort of tempo with the song at hand.

I've got a multieffects processor, a cute little 100 dollar one - the Digitech RP-100.

It's nice, has 40 slots for storing banks of settings. I can approximate most Edge sounds with that and a 2003 Stratocaster. The little guitar processor has amp modeling, humbucker simulation, compression, cabinet mic placement simulator, equalizer, effects (wah, tremblo, etc...), delay, and reverb. All those settings can be adjusted and saved to one of 40 user banks which you can then just flip through using the foot pedals.

You're well off buying a fairly cheapie multieffects unit first to experiment with effects, instead of going out to buy the 80$ boss pedals right away.

I'd recommend buying:

A) Digitech RP-100 - good starter for Edge-like effects with experimenting
B) Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive - you can adjust this pretty little thing to give you just the right amount of overdrive, that gives songs like In God's Country their tiny tiny tiny bit of distortion. Edge has one on top of his tour rig :)

I got my first guitar(acoustic) when I was 8. and I got my first electric 3 months ago. I have an encore, it was only £50! I'm only 14 and I can just about play sunday bloody sunday.

Canadiens1160 said:

A) Digitech RP-100 - good starter for Edge-like effects with experimenting
B) Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive - you can adjust this pretty little thing to give you just the right amount of overdrive, that gives songs like In God's Country their tiny tiny tiny bit of distortion. Edge has one on top of his tour rig :)

I too would reccomend both (i have both) but Edge doesn't use the SD-1 in his rig anymore!

Yep, you definitely need a delay. ;) I would recommend the Boss DD-5. It's a great little delay pedal - I don't think I'd buy anything else, in terms of delay. Now, if I could get an SDD-3000, that'd be a different matter entirely. :drool: I find that the delay you get on multi-effects processors, like the Digitech RP200, sounds like utter shit. I'm actually starting to move away from my multi-effects unit entirely. The only negative thing about individual pedals is that they're on the pricey side.

Anyway, just go down to your nearest music shop and try out a few different effects units, see what you like and all that.

gibsongirl, i'd say the delay on the rp200 is pretty decent (though honestly i haven't tried a single-effects delay pedal) and its nice to have different patches so that you can change delay times easily

Oh yes, it definitely has a nice delay, don't get me wrong. But when compared to single effects units, there's really no comparison, in my view. The nice thing about the RP200 is that you don't have to make a random guess as to what your delay time actually is. :wink: With the DD-5, I can get it in round about the right area by ear (I never did get into the whole tap delay thing...) which is frustrating when I want to change songs in a hurry. But in terms of actual sound quality, I think the single-effect unit delay is superior.

discothequeLP said:
hmm. . . i forgot about tap delay, that is very useful i hear.

I really must get a FS-5U footswitch so that I can use the tap delay. I've only really been able to use it once at an instrument shop, and it really made a huge difference.

One feature I forgot to mention - the reverse delay effect that comes with the DD-5. It's awesome. :yes: I've played some pretty eerie shit with it.

GibsonGirl said:

One feature I forgot to mention - the reverse delay effect that comes with the DD-5. It's awesome. :yes: I've played some pretty eerie shit with it.

Reverse delay? What's that?
Prelay? :D
I never heard of reverse delay, please tell me about it.

The_Edge89, reverse delay is whatever you play comes out backwards and delayed. Nobody really uses it but, you can hear it in the solo for R.E.M.'s "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" and at the intro for Jimi Hendrix's "Are You Experienced?" I have the effect on my Line6 PODXT. It is O.K. in the hands of people who know how to use it but, can also become annoying in the hands that don't.

Yeah, Hendrix did it quite a bit. Except he'd actually have to wind tapes backward and such. You can really hear a nice example on the solo for "Castles Made of Sand."

reversed delay makes me wanna walk backwards (when I'm drunk )
It's so awesome sounding:drool:

Last edited:
It's true, I didn't realize that until you pointed it out. It does sounds like the opposite of a wah: when he plays a note, it sounds like a wah fully open, but then goes back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom