Boss SD-1 vs. Boss OD-2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
ok guys, i dont have enough money and dont want to spend like 70 bucks for an ibanez ts-9 (though i head it's damn good) and i know that i can get a boss sd-1 or od-2 for cheaper. but which one should i get? i think edge uses one pedal for his humbucking gutiars and the other for the single coils, but i dont know which is which. right now i have a squer standard strat and i need some good distortion. which one should i buy?

You should really bring your guitar to the music store and try the pedals for yourself. That would certainly be the best thing for you.

I would go with the SD-1. I recently tried out a bunch of overdrive pedals and it came down to the SD-1 and the TS9. I chose the TS9 because it sounded bloody great, but the SD-1 was a very close second.

I think Phalanx is right, its better if you go to the guitar shop and ask to try out the pedals which you are interested in. Its the best way of finding out which pedals have the type of sound you are looking for, keeping in mind your budget.

I recommended the SD-1 because I found it to have a nice crunch type of overdrive. It can get muddy if you turn up the "drive" knob to about 3 o'clock. That is the reason why Edge and lots of other guitarist use the Boss GE-7 equalizer in conjunction with the SD-1 to even out or remove all that fuzziness you sometime get with this pedal.

Ok I was told seperate things and this is what i got out of it...The Korg A3 was definently used in recording and i guess the person who told me which was bbmac told me the boss od-2 was used for live concerts....so i went with that...thats when i posted here, yesturday i saw a video of zoo station on zoo tv in washington and i heard a type of flangish distortion so obviously bbmac was wrong because you can't have a flangish distortion on a boss od-2...so yes to answer your comment i was wrong for a while and it is a korg a3...

and yes edge does not have a boss od-1 he has an od-2 somewhere in his rack... he uses the od-2 for until the end of the world...

you can have a flanger/phaser easily
with a boss OD-2 any combo is easily
chained together though the A3 has
very good presets with these effects

i said to you it sounds like he is using
2 OD-2s so not 100% confirmed..

zoo tv tour sounds like the OD-2 to me
but there might be a missing ingredient
be it a rack unit or another pedal

the lastet tour 'Vertigo tour'
its the line6 DM4
thats been confirmed by
spotters but what else?

http://tinyurl.com/hk4hj
heres a clip i did with the OD-2

cheers BB

Last edited:
yes thank you bb mac...i thought you told me he WAS using 2 od-2...sorry for the mis-comunication on my part..:der:

THe really diffrence between the TS-9 and the SD-1 is the clipping section, and the 9's mid hump.. both can be modded to sound pretty close to one an other. If you really want to get the 9 but not spend the money. Look into the Tone-Loc version the TS-7. Sounds identical to the 9 and is i belive still using the orgional op amp.

The last time I checked they were around $40-$60

Back
Top Bottom