Boss Pedals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattyUK

The Fly
Today I bought my first Boss effects pedal - A DD3 Digital Delay !!!sounds really great, also you can adjust the delay timeing etc. I am thinking about buying another to daisy chain together, can anyone recommend another that might compliment this one well? I was thinking about a WAH pedal,or maybe something different? I am looking for a very u2 sound!

i dont personally have a huge rig or anything, i know a few people do on here and could give you much better advice than me.

I would suggust getting like an crunch/overdrive sound, maybe a boss OD. It really is an awesome pedal. For sounds like streets, COBL, infact theres loads of songs the Edge usings like a crunch/overdrive for.

Yeh i have a DD-3 aswell, its really good, only downside is that the little knob you have to turn is a bit tedious to get the excat delay timing tho.

wardie9 said:
i dont personally have a huge rig or anything, i know a few people do on here and could give you much better advice than me.

I would suggust getting like an crunch/overdrive sound, maybe a boss OD. It really is an awesome pedal. For sounds like streets, COBL, infact theres loads of songs the Edge usings like a crunch/overdrive for.

Yeh i have a DD-3 aswell, its really good, only downside is that the little knob you have to turn is a bit tedious to get the excat delay timing tho.

Yeah I think the OD pedal would be a good idea! Maybe the wah too?

if you're going to get a delay in a pedal, i would suggest going with the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man or even the Line 6 DL-4. Then get an SD-1 and then i would suggest a compressor - maybe the CS-2 or MXR Dynacomp

kimbahpnam said:
if you're going to get a delay in a pedal, i would suggest going with the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man or even the Line 6 DL-4. Then get an SD-1 and then i would suggest a compressor - maybe the CS-2 or MXR Dynacomp

Well i already have a delay pedal now! what does a compressor do?

Ok I now have a DD-3 and MD-2 daisy chained together which sound great !! can anyone tell me what i can get to attain that "until the end of the world" sound ??

I've always like Boss pedals. They're good value for money and built to last. Unlike Electro-Harmonix which doesn't seem to put the stomp in stompbox. Plus there exist tons of mods you can do yourself or let do to improve the sound.

Still, most Boss pedals tend to be average. Probably why there are so many mods out there. Boss doesn't always use the best electronics. And they are certainly not true bypass. Which means that if you daisychain them your signal will degrade with every pedal in the chain. I used to have two pedal cases with Boss pedals, and when I bypassed one loop of 5 pedals I could hear a marked difference in sound quality.

Hi guys,
I need some help!! My current setup is;

Roland 60 Watt Cube Amp w/ various built in effects and COSM amp models.

Boss DD-3 Delay pedal which i spent my chrismtas money on.
Boss DS-2 Mega Distortion pedal.

Les Paul Guitar.

I bought a GuitarMasters "The Edge" DVD off the net which is really great. The guy on the DVD shows how to get the right sound for Pride in the name of love. He says i need a bright clean tone, with "Modulated" delay, and maybe a compressor.

Now I just cannot get the same tone out of my kit, im not entireley sure what modulated delay is and im not the richest of men so i cannot afford to get a new pedal as ive just bought one.
I have ordered a Boss Compressor as I feel this is something i can use anyway. Can anyone shine a light on my tone problem??

Modulation delay is a delay whereby the original tone is unaltered, but the a little (or much) chorus or flange is added to the repeats. This is what Edge uses as he doesn't like plain and simple delay.

Unfortunately modulation delay is deader then the Dodo as far as manufacturers are concerned. It used to be everywhere on rackmounted delays in the 80's but these have also disappeared completely. As far as I know the only units that still have mod delay are the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (analog only), the Line6 DL4 delay modeler (both digital and analog mod delay), the TC Electronic D2 rack mounted delay and the Line6 Pod XT (analog mod delay). As for what Edge uses, he mostly uses the TC Electronic 2290 Digital Delay (discontinued, costs between $1000 and $1000 on E-bay) and the Korg SDD-3000 (80's unit, even rarer)

Your options are:
- accept that you can't emulate mod delay and learn to live with it. And guess what, on most gigs you'll play you'll have such shitty sound anyway that 99% of all people won't notice. Only when you enter serious U2 tribute country will it start to matter. But then getting mod delay will be the least of your problems. To see what you would need, go see Eventide's effects rig in this thread http://forum.interference.com/t172229.html
- Get one of the units I mention, or shop on Ebay for a cheap 80's rack delay unit. The Line6 DL4 doesn't have the best mod delay they say, but it does have 15different kinds of plus the ability to loop, making it a very versatile tool. The Pod XT is a very good all round unit, especially the Live version. Electro-Harmonix, they don't have a good rep regarding durability as they don't seem to put the stomp in the word stompbox. The TC D2 is very versatile, but rackmounted, so you'd need a midi controler as well. A good tip might be some old 80's unit. Since all the Edge wannabes go for the SDD-3000, the SDD-2000 or SDD-1000 are usually a bargain.
- Final option, mod your pedal. It is possible to modify delay pedals so they come with a send-return loop. In which you could then hook up a chorus pedal. And thus create the desired effect. Use your google fu to see what's oput there and can be done. Besides, modding is fun. Nothing I like more then opening up a pedal and fire up my soldering gun to remove and replace electronics to improve the sound. Usually using one of this guy's kits http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

Back
Top Bottom