Bono's Rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anyone have any pics of his rig? If he even has one :lol:

I have not seen any pictures of what Bono has in his guitar rig for the 360 tour. Often he 'mirrors' some of the same effects that Edge uses but also has a few things that are of his own.

Example:
While Bono used a Digitech 2112 and array of Lovetone pedals that Edge used during the Popmart tour, he also had a few things that were unitque to his rig vs. Edge's rig, such as:
  • Mayer "Mongoose" Fuzz
  • EH "Clone Theory" (chorus)
  • EH Deluxe Electric Mistress (Flanger/Filter Matrix)
  • Ibanez AD9 (analog delay)

It's funny to me to think of Bono as having a complex rig. He hardly plays guitar, and when he does it's (a) barely audible and (b) typically pretty clean. I guess he has distorted guitars, but I always thought of them as just a cranked AC30 overdrive. I sort of remember reading/hearing somewhere that Bono preferred the overdrive of the Vox amp...

Example:
While Bono used a Digitech 2112 and array of Lovetone pedals that Edge used during the Popmart tour, he also had a few things that were unitque to his rig vs. Edge's rig, such as:
  • Mayer "Mongoose" Fuzz
  • EH "Clone Theory" (chorus)
  • EH Deluxe Electric Mistress (Flanger/Filter Matrix)
  • Ibanez AD9 (analog delay)

Bono's list of gear during the Popmart tour was actually quite impressive (especially the amount of guitars).

As E_O states, no info on the 360 Tour since the rigs are all in the underworld, but the Vertigo Tour had a nice snap shot:

Bono-Effects_Rack-Vertigo-1.jpg

It's funny to me to think of Bono as having a complex rig. He hardly plays guitar, and when he does it's (a) barely audible and (b) typically pretty clean. I guess he has distorted guitars, but I always thought of them as just a cranked AC30 overdrive. I sort of remember reading/hearing somewhere that Bono preferred the overdrive of the Vox amp...

Keep in mind though that most effects are probably not for guitar, but for the mic! That also explains the longer list during the Popmart era and also today you still have effects here and there in the signal path: Delay, chorus, etc. Listen to "Mysterious Ways" or "Streets" (Rose Bowl beginning, for instance, when he starts to scream) for example, you have delay going on, reverb...etc.

Keep in mind though that most effects are probably not for guitar, but for the mic! That also explains the longer list during the Popmart era and also today you still have effects here and there in the signal path: Delay, chorus, etc. Listen to "Mysterious Ways" or "Streets" (Rose Bowl beginning, for instance, when he starts to scream) for example, you have delay going on, reverb...etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always assumed they were run by Joe at the FOH. I don't see any reverb units, and I think Bono would run his voice through something a little bit higher-end than a DM4 Pro. I think Joe has Yamaha SPX-series stuff at FOH as well as Korg SDD-series delays. I really think these effects are mostly for guitar.

On another note, it's funny that Bono has a remote Crybaby. What for, I wonder...

Popmart tour Bono played distorted on "Last Night On Earth", hence the gear that I listed and more.

The rack in the picture is Bono's guitar rack. Vocal effects and reverbs are done out front by Joe O'Herlihy.

Bono-Effects_Rack-Vertigo-1.jpg

• BOSS AD-5 acoustic instrument processor
  • BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive
  • DUNLOP DCR-2SR Rackmount Crybaby Wah system
  • LINE 6 Echo pro (rack mount version of Line 6 DL4)
  • LINE 6 Mod Pro rack mount version of Line 6 MM4)
  • LINE 6 AM4 amp modeler (the red amp modeling stomp box)
  • LINE 6 DM4 distortion modeler
  • WHIRLWIND A/B/Y switch with E-D# written on it's side

I'm not 100% sure what the purple-ish box on the bottom left is. I thought a Dunlop Tremolo but after looking at some photos, maybe not.

That picture is one that I cropped and blew up from a scan I was sent by a friend. I wish the original were bigger so you could see more the detail, like the stuff written on the tape.

Funniest bit to me is Bono is apparently the ONLY one that bought the Line 6 AM4. I remember being told "No one likes it. I've never sold one". I heard that from a number of salesmen at Sam Ash and Guitar Center's, when I've asked about the amp modeler.

line-6-am4.jpg

Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone know's any details of what Bono was playing through at Glastonbury. I actually heard a very cool guitar he was playing, I know he's changed to a Hallow Telecaster, but to me there was also a more punchy sound too.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f197/bonos-new-fender-custom-shop-guitar-210079.html

That's the new one he was playing during The Fly. If you mean the big hollobody during One, that's the Gretsch Irish Falcon. Made especially for Bono, but it was sold for a limited amount of time.

Thanks for the response. I'll be a little more specific..

Is he using a Vox amp still? And pedals sounded a whole different sound. or, maybe the telecaster made THAT big of a difference. To me, he needs to retire the Falcon and bring back some rock roots he's done in the past and hearing that Tele was so much better!

Thanks for the response. I'll be a little more specific..

Is he using a Vox amp still? And pedals sounded a whole different sound. or, maybe the telecaster made THAT big of a difference. To me, he needs to retire the Falcon and bring back some rock roots he's done in the past and hearing that Tele was so much better!

Is he using a Vox amp still?

Yes.

...he needs to retire the Falcon and bring back some rock roots he's done in the past...

He's used bigger semi-hollow body guitars and thinline semi-hollowbody guitars, like the Irish Falcon, since the Joshua tree tour.

Gibson ES-175 (black during Zoo tours - red sparkle and blue sparkle during Pop) Gretsch Country Club (cadillac green), Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennesseean (red), Gibson ES+-335 (red).

Previous to that there were a few Tele's during Joshua Tree, there was the Danvel-Nelson custom made Tele style guitar... But again, not played so much. And then there was the Fender Lead II dating from UF tour and before...

But on the whole, he's used more guitars like the Irish Falcon (semi-hollow) than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom