Bono's New Fender Custom Shop guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd have to review the video. But I think that "One" was it, guitar-wise for the B-Man, as he's singing a new snippet at the beginning of "...Streets...".

"Amazing Grace" is out and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" is in.

I doubt that's permanent. Sometimes he does Random snippets, just like he did Rain at a couple of shows where it rained.

I doubt that's permanent. Sometimes he does Random snippets, just like he did Rain at a couple of shows where it rained.

I wouldn't doubt it. Or wouldn't doubt that it will be in place for multiple shows, if not the whole leg. I don't think it was a "one off" performance.

Why? They rehearsed it. They played it at the private show the day before. They played it opening night of this leg.

Rain gets popped in when it rains. That goes back to ZOOTV and perhaps before.

Ofcourse they rehearse it if they've never played it before. And the private show was pretty much the exact same show as the Denver show, so that doesn't count.

And they didn't play it at the opening night of this leg, they played Amazing Grace on the opening night of the North American leg.

Here you go, I just compiled a list with help of U2gigs.com of Streets's intro snippets since the 2010 tour started.

Do you now see why I doubt your theory? They've changed the snippet sometimes, but the MAJORITY is still Amazing Grace. I do not see why you consider this snippet so much different.

European Leg 2010: 22 Concerts
Rain: (2x)
360° Tour
• 2010-09-12 - Zurich, Switzerland - Letzigrund Stadion (22 songs)
• 2010-09-23 - Brussels, Belgium - King Baudouin Stadium (24 songs)

Happy Birthday: (1x)
360° Tour
• 2009-08-09 - Zagreb, Croatia - Stadium Maksimir (22 songs)
Amazing Grace: (19x)
360° Tour
• 2010-08-06 - Turin, Italy - Stadio Olimpico (25 songs)
• 2010-08-10 - Frankfurt, Germany - Commerzbank Arena (24 songs)
• 2010-08-12 - Hannover, Germany - AWD Arena (24 songs)
• 2010-08-15 - Horsens, Denmark - CASA Arena Horsens (24 songs)
• 2010-08-16 - Horsens, Denmark - CASA Arena Horsens (23 songs)
• 2010-08-20 - Helsinki, Finland - Olympic Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-08-25 - Moscow, Russia - Luzhniki Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-08-30 - Vienna, Austria - Ernst Happel Stadion (23 songs)
• 2010-09-03 - Athens, Greece - Olympic Stadium (23 songs)
• 2010-09-06 - Istanbul, Turkey - Atatürk Olympic Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-09-11 - Zurich, Switzerland - Letzigrund Stadion (22 songs)
• 2010-09-15 - Munich, Germany - Olympiastadion (24 songs)
• 2010-09-18 - Paris, France - Stade de France (24 songs)
• 2010-09-22 - Brussels, Belgium - King Baudouin Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-09-26 - San Sebastian, Spain - Estadio Anoeta (24 songs)
• 2010-09-30 - Seville, Spain - Estadio Olímpico de Sevilla (24 songs)
• 2010-10-02 - Coimbra, Portugal - Estádio Cidade de Coimbra (24 songs)
• 2010-10-03 - Coimbra, Portugal - Estádio Cidade de Coimbra (24 songs)
• 2010-10-08 - Rome, Italy - Stadio Olimpico (25 songs)

Down Under: 10 Concerts
Amazing Grace: (8x)
• 2010-11-25 - Auckland, New Zealand - Mt Smart Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-12-01 - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia - Etihad Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-12-03 - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia - Etihad Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-12-09 - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia - Suncorp Stadium (23 songs)
• 2010-12-13 - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia - ANZ Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-12-14 - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia - ANZ Stadium (24 songs)
• 2010-12-18 - Perth, Western Australia, Australia - Subiaco Oval (24 songs)
• 2010-12-19 - Perth, Western Australia, Australia - Subiaco Oval (25 songs)

Dear Prudence: (1x)
360° Tour
• 2010-12-08 - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia - Suncorp Stadium (24 songs)

Unchained Melody: (1x)
360° Tour
• 2010-11-26 - Auckland, New Zealand - Mt Smart Stadium (24 songs)

South Africa: Amazing Grace (2x)
• 2011-02-13 - Johannesburg, South Africa - FNB Stadium (23 songs)
• 2011-02-18 - Cape Town, South Africa - Cape Town Stadium (24 songs)

South America: 7 shows
Amazing Grace: (2x)
• 2011-04-02 - La Plata, Argentina - Estadio Ciudad de La Plata (23 songs)
• 2011-04-10 - Sao Paulo, Brazil - Morumbi (24 songs)

Mothers of the Disappeared: (3x)

• 2011-03-25 - Santiago, Chile - Estadio Nacional (23 songs)
• 2011-03-30 - La Plata, Argentina - Estadio Ciudad de La Plata (24 songs)
• 2011-04-03 - La Plata, Argentina - Estadio Ciudad de La Plata (25 songs)

Help: (1x)
360° Tour
• 2011-04-09 - Sao Paulo, Brazil - Morumbi (24 songs)

All I want is You:
360° Tour
• 2011-04-13 - Sao Paulo, Brazil - Morumbi (24 songs)

North American shows: 4 shows sofar

Amazing Grace: (2x)
• 2011-05-11 - Mexico City, Mexico - Azteca Stadium (25 songs)
• 2011-05-14 - Mexico City, Mexico - Azteca Stadium (25 songs)

Play Me / High and Dry
360° Tour
• 2011-05-15 - Mexico City, Mexico - Azteca Stadium (24 songs

Will you Still Love me tonight: (1x)
360° Tour
• 2011-05-21 - Denver, Colorado, USA - Invesco Field (24 songs)

Various Dates
• 2011-05-20 - Denver, Colorado, USA - Invesco Field (23 songs)

33x Amazing Grace
3x Mothers of the Disappeared
2x Rain
1x Happy Birthday
1x Dear Prudence
1x unchained Melody
1x Help
1x All I Want Is You
1x play Me / High And Dry
1x Will you Still Love Me Tonight

I do think that the intro used in the last two shows is a better and refreshing choice.

It appears that they are trying to update and change some aspects of the show visually and otherwise.

Doubt if you must. Time will tell. Doesn't matter to me either way.

What makes you think this is a permanent change then? What is so special about this song that makes them use it permanently? That YOU like it more doesn't mean the band is going to use it as their standard snippet every night..

:huh: I don't get it. I just don't get it. You make a bold statement, I doubt said statement for a reason. You say I should not doubt, for a bunch of reasons. I reply explaining why those reasons aren't really solid, plus showing facts that you are likely wrong with your bold statement... and then suddenly it "does not matter to you either way"?

What makes you think this is a permanent change then? What is so special about this song that makes them use it permanently? That YOU like it more doesn't mean the band is going to use it as their standard snippet every night..

:huh: I don't get it. I just don't get it. You make a bold statement, I doubt said statement for a reason. You say I should not doubt, for a bunch of reasons. I reply explaining why those reasons aren't really solid, plus showing facts that you are likely wrong with your bold statement... and then suddenly it "does not matter to you either way"?

I don't think my statement was 'bold'. It appears they have made a change. That change was, in my view, for the better. Simple.

Time will tell.

If I am right, and they use if for a while, then great. If not, that is fine too. Either way, I still love and respect you. :D :hug: :up:

.. If you would read what I compiled for you, this isn't anything new. They made that "change" 12 times before. Of the 45 times, Amazing Grace got played 33 times. The remaining 12 times were mostly randomly picked songs. Sure, Rain when it was raining heavily, or MOTD in Chile, But also a variety of Beatles songs, and even in Mexico, the city before Denver, they did a random intro as well. I just don't get why you have to insist that this is different and special. I really just don't get it.

For what it's worth, the snippets tonight were a tribute to Dylan, whose birthday it was.

Blowin' In The Wind (snippet) / The Times, They Are A-Changin' (snippet)

Check out the pic from today's crew soundcheck:

Techs are doing the soundcheck #u2360ana on Twitpic

When you go on full view, you can see Bono's tech playing w/ a guitar that is NOT his usual Gretsch, the headstock looks like a Tele! The headstock's also dark, which suggests further he's soundchecking the Fender Custom.

Hope Bono pulls that out before the tour ends.

I just had an epiphany.

At Anaheim 2, I'm fairly certain they'll play The Fly. Bono plays guitar on The Fly. They're soundchecking The Fly. They're soundchecking Bono's new guitar.

1+1=2. :hyper:

I just had an epiphany.

At Anaheim 2, I'm fairly certain they'll play The Fly. Bono plays guitar on The Fly. They're soundchecking The Fly. They're soundchecking Bono's new guitar.

1+1=2. :hyper:

:hyper::hyper: I hope I haven't got all hyper for no good reason. If they play The Fly tonight I am going to need a new pair of underwear and jeans, cause I'm gonna piss myself like crazy if they do. And I am going to go absolutely nuts!:lol: I am getting a little too excited aren't I? With Glasto just under a week away do you think it's highly probable they'll play it tonight to give it a nice test drive (that is if they are planning to bring it out at Glasto)?

I was actually curious if they'd do that. They just had 10 days off to try and work it out, they rehearsed it yesterday... :hmm: Would be useful to test before glasto.

And I bet Bono is itching to try that new guitar!

theedgeu2 said:
:hyper::hyper: I hope I haven't got all hyper for no good reason. If they play The Fly tonight I am going to need a new pair of underwear and jeans, cause I'm gonna piss myself like crazy if they do. And I am going to go absolutely nuts!:lol: I am getting a little too excited aren't I? With Glasto just under a week away do you think it's highly probable they'll play it tonight to give it a nice test drive (that is if they are planning to bring it out at Glasto)?

:lol: me 2!!!!

I tend to have hawks eye's :shifty:

I'm frustrated ! I can't hear the fucking audio becuase I'm at work.
I love the fly.... This is driving me nuts. Still have 6 hours to go.

I tend to have hawks eye's :shifty:

I'm frustrated ! I can't hear the fucking audio becuase I'm at work.
I love the fly.... This is driving me nuts. Still have 6 hours to go.

Alright you've gotta set priorities: Call in sick and go home to watch the video or stay at work and not listen to The Fly? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Also good to see Edge is using his Strat for the song again, to be honest as much as I loved the '01 & '05 versions, the Strat really is the sound that nails it best.

That was awesome! I was there on the rail in Red Zone and as soon as I saw he had it on when The Fly started I started yelling "there it is! the guitar!"
When I asked Dallas in Oakland when Bono was going to use it he said "What!? No one is supposed to know about that!" Maybe that was part of the "surprise" we had heard about! :hmm:

BonoDallascustomFenderAnaheim6-18-2011cpenyak.jpg

Back
Top Bottom