Bono & the edge join fender guitars' board of directors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Bono and The Edge have some new responsbilities: They've both joined the Board of Directors of Fender Guitars. The New York Times reports this statement from The Edge about their appointment:

"I believe that guitars are here to stay and, far from digital technology being their death knell, I think it throws up some new ways to power creativity and give people greater access to the huge potential of the electric guitar," the Edge wrote in an email from the studio where the band is recording its next album.

In Billboard, Edge shares this quote:

This is "something of a kid in a candy store situation for me," comments The Edge in a statement. "I've been a fan of Fender guitars from the beginning, playing them on all the most important U2 tours and albums. But I'm most interested in working with the Fender design team on some new ideas."

The Times also reports that Edge will still use guitars and equipment from other brands, too, and won't be required to be an all-Fender guitarist.

In Billboard, Edge shares this quote:

This is "something of a kid in a candy store situation for me," comments The Edge in a statement. "I've been a fan of Fender guitars from the beginning, playing them on all the most important U2 tours and albums. But I'm most interested in working with the Fender design team on some new ideas."

The Times also reports that Edge will still use guitars and equipment from other brands, too, and won't be required to be an all-Fender guitarist.

this.

as I said elsewhere some people don't think Edge's sonic work with with special efect pedals are not real guitar chops ....i disagree

Once electric current amplification for the guitar happened the potential was there

piano > synthesyser
still often used like a piano and sometime alot with added effects

interesting since a piano is vibrating strings hit by those little wood hammers?

the EG's strings by they're being pressed, hammered, plucked, slid on etc at the start it has a wider bass of sound/sonics to choice from!

W00t, Edge!

and Bono being in the trenches with his bandmate, friend hearing aoll this stuff by studio and live and his own sense of sound- melody, sonic dynamics and live performance brings other insights in :applaud:

good that Fender is not being selfish and restricting his choices
you shouldn't fence in a sonic genuis....ultimately is to their advantage

Best news of that appointment is the preservation of edge's choice in guitars. Roland still works with fender on some strat models right?

I guess they'll have allot of time this summer to meet all the other members of the board. There's nothing else pressing to do.

Can you imagine someone even making the request that Edge be an all-Fender guitarist? For some reason the image of Bono and Edge snickering with their teacups on the Zane Lowe show comes to mind.

I guess they could, depending. I think Alex lifeson had an exclusivity contract with prs then Gibson.

That being said, it would be cool to see edge with some guild solid bodies and semis.....

Mmmm Edge-designed guitars, I like the idea of that. Maybe he'll figure out how to put an echo unit directly INTO the guitar itself. Kinda like Matt Bellamy's custom Korg Kaoss Pad guitars.

Perhaps we might even see a Signature Edge Black Strat, who knows........

Anything is possible.

I think Gibson was trying for such a thing when they cloned the 1975 auctioned LP Custom. And while it looked the part, it didn't clone the tone.

This is probably why Edge didn't use it much. ("Walk On" and "Unknown Caller", being the only two, if memory serves).

I think it might be more like the Line 6 DM4 Pro, where Edge will be able to get what he wants from Fender but those items might not be for sale to the general public.

Again, anything is possible. But I wouldn't bet on it.

The term "custom guitar" for the edge, regardless of his position in fender, must be incredible...

The term "custom guitar" for the edge, regardless of his position in fender, must be incredible...

It could be. But it isn't like they needed to be a board member to get custom work.

Bono's Green Thinline Telecaster (used during the later parts of the 360 tour) is proof of that. That was Dallas contacting Fender/Gretsch Custom Shops and et voila - Custom guitar.

Possibilities? Yes.

Probabilities? Not so certain.

I have heard Dallas say 'why' a signature guitar. Keith (Richards) doesn't have one, Woody (Ron Wood) doesn't... And there are some that have a new model every other week.

Gibson had approached regarding a signature Explorer and that was turned down. The wood wouldn't be from the same sources as the 1976's, same with the pickups...

...again, they clones his LP Custom. And yes, it had the look. But it didn't seem to impress him enough to use it often. The MR Les Pauls got more use than the cloned LP Custom.

I was thinking moreso with electronics he could get for his own personal guitars.

I was thinking moreso with electronics he could get for his own personal guitars.

Possible. And it would be interesting if he were to have Fender make him something like Manson does for Matt Bellamy and John Paul Jones.

But that said, it could be like the Line 6 deal, where it is made for him and not for the general public.

I know, I sound like I'm raining on everyone's parades. I assure you, I'm not. I would love an Edge signature guitar or special custom guitar as much as anyone.

My comments are based on things I've heard Dallas and Edge say over time. I wouldn't want anyone to get their hopes up too much for a Signature / Custom guitar.

But again, this is a new deal. Anything is possible. I merely state that one not get their hopes up too high... yet.

Back
Top Bottom