Best U2 Tribute Band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the NY area, there are several; Unforgettable Fire, 2U, U2Nation, and a couple more I can't remember.
UF is well known and established, however I don't think I've seen them around recently.
Each one I've seen has their own pros and cons.

It seems as though they all get the backing tracks for the tunes (keyboards and all) from somewhere.

Who sounds the most like Bono? Probably the guy from UF.

"Rattle & Hum" are a tribute band from Dublin, they are well established and have been around a long time, I've seen them twice and been blown away on both occasions, the similarities to the real thing are astounding both visually and musically!

Id recommend anyone to go see them, a great night guaranteed!

Rattle and Hum - Welcome

They are the enemy of art...:lol:

How so?

And IF so, were the Beatles the enemies of art when they exclusively played covers during their Hamburg days? Is Lincoln Center an enemy of art for having their annual Mostly Mozart fest?

:rolleyes:

In the NY area, there are several; Unforgettable Fire, 2U, U2Nation, and a couple more I can't remember.
UF is well known and established, however I don't think I've seen them around recently.

We're very much still around - here's our upcoming schedule: Unforgettable Fire - New York City Based U2 Tribute Band...??????????????????? UF2.com - Unforgettable Fire - New York City Based U2 Tribute Band??????????????????? UF2.com??????????????????? UF - NYC Based U2 Tribute Band NY NY U2 U2 Tribute UF

How so?

And IF so, were the Beatles the enemies of art when they exclusively played covers during their Hamburg days? Is Lincoln Center an enemy of art for having their annual Mostly Mozart fest?

:rolleyes:

First of all there is a big difference between playing covers and being a tribute band.

Secondly, the "enemy of art" is an interference joke an old thread in Bang and Clatter, that I can't seem to find anymore...

First of all there is a big difference between playing covers and being a tribute band.

To some extent, yes, although the latter example I presented in my initial post is one that few people have a problem with. Personally, I don't think tribute bands affect original music one way or another. But, maybe I'm a tad biased...:sexywink:

Secondly, the "enemy of art" is an interference joke an old thread in Bang and Clatter, that I can't seem to find anymore...

Ahhh, Gotcha.

:wave: I've had the privilege of seeing several U2 tribute bands in So. and No. California. They are all different but I can definitely tell the ones who *REALLY* do it for :heart: and not to just make a buck. One LA band has an awesome singer whose sound I've never heard better anywhere else. He carries the band with his bang-on vocals and double-take Bono looks and mannerisms. Another So Cal band has been performing together for years oftentimes for charity events and for free or no cover charge and their performance shines because they have all been die hard U2 fans as long as U2 has been together and that emanates from their hearts and souls in their performance. I came to the conclusion that sound is the more important factor to me in a U2 tribute band's performance rather than the attempt to portray the characters visually to a tee. A poor performance, crap sound or environment can almost ruin the music for me. I highly recommend taking in U2 tribute band performances if you happen to be lucky enough to be given the chance. Don't judge a tribute band until you've experienced them perform live and/or compared tribute performances. Come to your own conclusion what your likes/dislikes are, or whether you even care to experience U2 music live by anyone other than the great band themselves. :up:

Who is the best U2 Tribute band? Has anyone ever seen a U2 tribute band? What did you think?

The best U2 tribute bands are those that are doing it for the RIGHT reasons and not for ego. The best U2 bands are those that are kind to fans and do not treat them poorly, as one 'tribute' that comes to mind has been known.

That said, I've seen "The Joshua Tree". They are great guys, no ego or bullshit and do a fantastic job.

I am on a guitar list with Mick from "The Unforgettable Fire" (New York). He's humble and a stand up guy. I've heard clips and seen YouTube footage of thier band and by all accounts, they too, are in it for the right reasons and do a great job.

And third, I saw "Elevation" (Canada) in 2003. Again, nice guys, no attitude and play the songs very well. Great band.

Personally, I think that any band that can create the image of U2 is amazing! I have seen many of them over the course of the last 17 years and I cannot say anything negative about any of them. Of course they are different from one another but when I need a U2 'fix', in my eyes, they are as close to the real thing as I am going to get during any given month that they are within a couple of hours traveling time from my home. I give them all credit and my thumbs up :up:

HEY UF,
See you in a couple of weeks at Penn's Peak!! :wave:

No I will see YOU! :) Are you from the area? Can you rec a good way to get the word out in that area? We have only been there once like 2 years ago. make sure to say Hello hello.

Mick

HEY UF,
See you in a couple of weeks at Penn's Peak!! :wave:[/QUOTE]

No I will see YOU! :) Are you from the area? Can you rec a good way to get the word out in that area? We have only been there once like 2 years ago. make sure to say Hello hello.

Mick

HEY UF,
[/QUOTE]

Hi Mick,

Saw you at your last performance at Penn's Peak. I was very happy to see that you are returning.. already have my tickets! I love it there. It is one of my favorite places to sit outside on the deck and have a couple of drinks and look at the amazing view!
They changed the building around a bit since you were there last. Inside is the same but they moved the entrance going into the concert hall.. made some landscaping changes as well.. you will notice that when you drive up to the building itself..
I am about 30 minutes from Penn's Peak...

I would suggest that you announce your performance in The Weekender. It is a free weekly entertainment newspaper in Northeast PA. Everybody picks them up. I am sure Penn's Peak has you listed in their listings of upcoming shows but It probably wouldn't hurt to check on the specifics about advertising your own performance. Check it out at: theweekender.com.
Also check out another free entertainment newspaper: Electric City/Diamond City - Northeast PA's free entertainment weekly. Find events and restaurants in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre and NEPA.

Also, all of the following newspapers have sections where you can add your event online for free...
The Pocono Record is a newspaper in the Pocono's. They have a free announcement listing section you can add your event... Stroudsburg & the Poconos PA news, sports, schools, entertainment, and shopping | poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

The Standard Speaker is a newspaper in the Hazleton area (not that far from Jim Thorpe). Hazleton, Pa. news, sports, obituaries, and shopping | standardspeaker.com - The Standard Speaker

Jim Thorpe newspaper has an entertainment section... Times News Online |

The Lehigh Valley Newspaper: www.mcallonline and Lehigh Valley PA Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - lehighvalleylive.com

Wilkes-Barre area: Wilkes-Barre PA news, sports, schools, entertainment, and shopping | timesleader.com - The Times Leader

There are also our local radio stations and news stations that have online calendars on their websites to advertise events... I can give you them also if you are interested or I can add the info for you if you'd like.. There are also many colleges in the area that have marketing potential if you want me to look into what they have as far as event advertising...

radio station web sites:
97bht.com
979x.com
102themountain.com
rock107.com

Let me know if you need anything additional information..
Michelle

I've been to a million UF shows now. They are phenomenal!! They put on a great show every time. Definitely worth driving across the state for! Mick & the boys are some of the sweetest guys you will ever meet as well. They always give us shout outs during the show, and treat us like family. Really talented and awesome bunch of guys. I can't say enough about them! :heart: UF :heart:

I just saw Elevation last night and was blown away. They're AWESOME! They put on a ZooTV-esque show with costumes and stuff. They're also a really cool bunch of guys. They were all really kind and fun to talk to. I'm looking forward to seeing more shows.

But, to answer your question, I'll have to say the best U2 Tribute band is one that will come out to play here in Ruffalo :sexywink: Who's up for a party????

HEY UF,

Hey, were you that girl who was sitting over to the right of the stage (performer's stage left?) who got Tony's ONE bracelet?

That was a great show...hopefully, they'll be a bigger turnout. Spread the word!!!!

Hey, were you that girl who was sitting over to the right of the stage (performer's stage left?) who got Tony's ONE bracelet?

That was a great show...hopefully, they'll be a bigger turnout. Spread the word!!!!

No, that wasn't me, unfortunately! LOL !!! just kidding.. but no, I guess I wasn't the lucky one!!

I will spread the word..let me know if I should add info to the local entertainment papers, etc.. have a good one!

wow if you could do that We would be so grateful..Thanks. Im going to try and do some contacting myself from the links you sent..Thanks so much

Mick

No, that wasn't me, unfortunately! LOL !!! just kidding.. but no, I guess I wasn't the lucky one!!

I will spread the word..let me know if I should add info to the local entertainment papers, etc.. have a good one!

wow if you could do that We would be so grateful..Thanks. Im going to try and do some contacting myself from the links you sent..Thanks so much

Mick

Sure, anytime! I love you guys! Anything to keep you coming back!!! LOL!!!

I will hit the 2 entertainment newspapers and start on the other papers.. Let me know who you will contact, if your time allows, so I don't 'double-up' on the effort...I will work on the papers tonight and tomorrow since time is of the essence! I will go down the list I sent you. I will start at the top..I will keeping going down the list until I hear from you..The info should get in as soon as possible.. I will take the info off the Penn's Peak website.. The raidio stations are a big help but I am not sure of their policy of doing an announcement on air.. I had them do announcements for a big cancer fundraiser I chaired, but I don't know what their policies are now, the calendars on the radio station websites will definitely help too... Have a great night!

Wiechlvu2,

I think we are going to try and contact the weekender..So far George (drummer) got a phone number. Please shoot him an email so we can get you and a couple friends on our guest list.(weve only played there once so We dont have much of one yet:) Or you can email me. mick3b1g@yahoo.com..

Thanks for all your help

Mick

You cant really ask someone to tell you who is the 'best'. It's all a matter of opinion.

I've seen 3 of them, Elevation, The Joshua Tree and Zoo Station.

They were all equally great in their own ways and they definitely provide fun entertainment and its nice to hear live U2 songs especially since U2 has been lagging on the music front.

You cant really ask someone to tell you who is the 'best'. It's all a matter of opinion.

I've seen 3 of them, Elevation, The Joshua Tree and Zoo Station.

They were all equally great in their own ways and they definitely provide fun entertainment and its nice to hear live U2 songs especially since U2 has been lagging on the music front.

Agreed, I've seen UF, Elevation and The Joshua Tree and they all have things they do really well. They have different approaches to presenting the music and it works well for each of them. I appreciate all of them and the opportunity to hear the songs live again. It's also a bonus that any of the guys I've met have been very hospitable and personable, it just makes appreciating what they do even easier. Thanks to all of them for a great job :up:

I have seen Elevation, October (who are now defunct), and Unforgettable Fire.

They were all in such different circumstances that I can't definitively say who was the best, but I did have a blast each time; that's what matters.

Coldplay.

That's a common misconception. Name me one Coldplay tune that sounds anything like a U2 song.

People often say this, but just because the guitarist uses the odd effect here and there and Coldplay tour stadiums with radio-friendly rock music, you can hardly call them a tribute band.

Anyway gerron my tribute band U2-II: www.myspace.com/u2ii

I'll throw my hat in the ring and say that we are the best tribute band, even though we're probably not, and the demo on our website would hardly back up this claim!

Coldplay.

That's a common misconception. Name me one Coldplay tune that sounds anything like a U2 song.

People often say this, but just because the guitarist uses the odd effect here and there and Coldplay tour stadiums with radio-friendly rock music, you can hardly call them a tribute band.

oh snap

The only one I've seen in person is Vertigo USA. They were really good. The only other band I've seen via YouTube is UF. Both excellent in my book!

UF rules! Mick, show this one to Tony, huh? Maybe he could muster a JT look? A retro night?

JTBono-1.jpg

The best U2 Tribute? well you get a few who think they are the best, same as you get performers on X Factor that think they can sing, you get some that jump on the band wagon and do it for the money with no intention of representing the sound or look of U2, you get others that do it purely for love but are still as above. As a punter travelling and or paying to see a U2 tribute it would be nice to see some resemblance in looks to U2 with costume included and more importantly, it would be nice to see the tribute playing very similar instrumental set-ups if not the same as U2, and more importantly the attention to detail of the music that they are attributing themsleves to would be very much appreciated. If The Bono-alike is,nt, then you cant even start, if the Larry-alike does'nt play the drum pattern to Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride and so-on accurately, then how can Adam follow him, and if the Edge is playing through a Marshall and not a vox then how can the whole sound of U2 be recreated in the first place. All this said and done take a few moments to view www.theoriginalachtungbaby and follow the link to my space to hear the unbelivable sound. Not to be mistaken for bands named achtung baby. These are one of the original Tributes to U2 formed over 15 years ago and very shortly due to return to the U2 Tribute scene.

Back
Top Bottom