Best laptops for recording music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinwal

The Fly
Hi good people
I need to get a laptop to record live music, does anyone have any good suggestions? Unfortunately I don't think my budget can streach to a Mac. I looking for something under £500.

Does anyone use them a lot? Any tips?

Thanks

Macbook is the best (from what I hear).
I know a bunch of kids who started their own home recording studio by investing in a small audio mixer and USB-ing it to their Mac.

I think Mac is an awesome investment though. :)

Everything I've recorded has been through Garageband. I have external effects, but its amp and effects models are quite good.

hi you can get a dual core laptop for around 350pounds
and use a audio interface with it like M-audio/Digidesign
preSonus/Edirol firewire or usb. am Running a 4 or 5 year
old Athlon laptop with a M-audio firewire solo and a whole
load of plugins.if you have a new system it will run great
if recording live you want a inteface unit with plenty I/O

plenty of laptop deals in the UK-> pc world/dell online/ebuyer
ect

good luck BB :)

Hi
Thanks for the input good people. As much I would like a mac I think I will go with the Dual Core Laptop idea mentioned by BB mac (Cheers). If anyone else has anymore suggestions though, please let me know. :wave:

(Now, that's the laptop recording sorted for the album, best go and buy the leather trousers and fly goggles.........and get saving for my own tv station)

Cheers

Tinwal....might it not be a better idea to save the extra cash and buy the best thing for the job (Mac)...rather than settle for second best option and perhaps live to regret it?

it feels like as long as you have a fast computer that can run Pro Tools well, it doesn't matter if it's a mac or PC. but macs seems to be the standard for personal recording.

Especially when the whole musical/arts world uses Macbooks. You'd think there's a reason behind that right?
Why, when almost EVERYONE here points to one thing, go for the other option suggested by one person?
How bad is it to save up just a bit more? It's not that much of a difference in money, but it differs the world in quality!

i guess everyone doesnt have spare cash to throw around
everytime:D not everyone uses a mac to record.personally
im not a apple mac fan.. each to there own imo :applaud:

Hi all
Bought a mac on saturday. Brilliant. Still sorting things out but hope to get recording soon. Thanks people.

:up: I wholeheartedly believe you made the right choice there, have fun with it! And in case you need it, you can always put Windows on a mac. :)

Hope you´re happy with it. For a live recording, I would have recommended a Zoom H2 recorder for US$200 instead of a laptop. 4 microphones, little, easy to carry around, choice between 90 or 120 degress stereo, simple SD cards.

Of course, it depends on what you´re doing and what results you want to get. Carrying a laptop and soundcard and mics around for a stereo live recording is much too complicated, computers are used in the studio. That said, if you want to multitrack or stream live from a concert, best choice may be a laptop.

I´m not a Mac fan, they´re ok but no dedicated fan here. I don´t care what gear I record on as long as it works and the mics and converters are great.

Garageband is shit. Try a standard sequencer/ audio recording program, my choice for Mac would be Logic (Protools is ok but too expensive).

Back
Top Bottom