Best Guitar part from the last 6 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adriansr_martin

The Fly
Given that alot fo the guitar mags tend to focus on classic players from the 60's/70's - Clapton - Page etc... I thought that it'd be interesting, now we're 6 years in the 00's to ask what the best guitar part - solo or riff or other has been from the last 6 years....

I'll start it off....

Coldplay - Yellow - (Johnny Buckland?)
Franz Ferdinand - Take me out
José González - Heartbeats
Velvet Revolver - Fall to pieces

Next!

Can't say I've heard many outstanding pieces of guitarwork lately. Although I like what they have done U2's last two albums isn't exactly pushing the innovative envelope anymore. They've become disgustingly retro in that respect. Radiohead at least are still pushing the innovative envelope musically but its not giving us much outstanding guitarwork, although 2+2=5 is a good guitar song.

I guess guitarists like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are still pushing it but I've not really been listening to them. Joe Petrucci of Dreamtheater is probably also still pushing it, and throwing in the odd U2 cover in their live shows. But in general it seems the art of being able to really play a guitar other then the basics (to which I'm guilty as charged) hasn't really made a comeback in this decade. So I guess it's not surprising the guitar mags are still focusing on the heroes of yesteryear. Hell, even during Live8 it were the old acts that delivered the best performances, not the new acts.

David Gilmour - On an Island
Wolfmother - Woman (best balls-out rock band that's come out in YEARS)
Audioslave - Shadow on the Sun
Incubus - Stellar (my vote for best)

Back
Top Bottom