Best delay pedal for U2 stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For you guitar players out there :D I have a Korg AX1500G multi FX which has a pretty good delay on it. Anyway I was thinking of upgrading to a standalone delay pedal to get better delay, and I'm currently liking the Boss DD-20. Does anyone know if this will be a big step up from the Korg for Edge-type delay or if I would be better not upgrading at all/looking elsewhere?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help...

Really? I heard the DD-20 is just as good, plus a fair bit less as well. Have you tried both or are you just going on what you've heard?

Thanks for the reply.

Well do you think I should get a rack delay? Would a rack delay be a big step up from a DD-20?

I see you're in a U2 tribute band, hopefully you're the guitarist :wink: What do you use??

The best delay pedal for Edge-type delay is the same delay pedal that he used originally and still uses from time to time, the Electro Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe.

The chorus/vibrato on that pedal is integral to the Edge sound.

If you want a rack unit, you can pretty much get any of the major modulated delay units - Roland, Korg, Yamaha - and you'll be fine. I have a Roland SDE 1000 and it's fine for Edge-type delay. I had an SDD3000 that I picked up at a used instrument store, but sold it.

The DL4 should probably manage a good emulation of the EHMMD, if you want to go that route. With the rise in cost for the MEmory Man, it's now more expensive than the Line 6, so it really doesn't matter.

I would partially agree with the Memory Man. It is what Edge used early on, but it is not able to do longer delays. It was used for short delays like heard on Electric Co for example. He left them behind between War and UF.

The big problem with the memory man is its inablilty to dial in exact bpm settings. It is the same issue with the Line 6 pedals. The memory man gives you one setting. Live you'd have to re-set the knobs and hope you are close. The Line 6 gives only has 3. If you are using sequences, the delay has to be exact or you are going to have a guitar part the is a muddy mess.

With the DD 20 you have 4 presets that you can set for different kinds of delay Edge uses....ie a triplet, 1/8 note or dottet 1/8. You can then tap the tempo in with your foot and have a respectable delay. It might not be perfect, but in my opinion, it is the cloest you are going to get using a pedal only. Again it is still not the same as a rack unit where the delay time, feedback, modulation, etc and all set exact.

Tree-Hugger, you asked about rack pieces. Edge now uses the discontinued TC 2290 for most of the delays. He has 4 in his rack. I have one and it is a fantastic delay unit but they are expensive. There are several good choices that you could look at.

An effective alternative is the TC D-two which you can pick up for $300 used. If you are patient, you can get a similar delay out of it that you would with the TC 2290. A lot of guys use the Korg SDD2000. It lacks the depth from the preamp that Edge's SDD3000 have, but the modulation is good and it can be run by midi. Korg makes another unit, discontinued that many rave about. I think the model is that Korg DL8000. It has great modulated delays.

The question I have is, what are you trying to do? Cover a few U2 songs? Tribute Band? Are you trying to copy the tone of a specific song? Depending on what you want to do the right option might be easier to find.

Chas

Basically, yeah just to cover a few songs (Bad, WOWY, Streets spring to mind), and even then it doesn't have to be EXACTLY PERFECT you know, pretty close will do :wink: Thanks for the recommendations for the rackmounts, although price wise they are probably a little out of league at the minute.

I'm starting to think that the DD-20 may be good for my purposes. That triplet, 1/8 note or dottet 1/8 tap delay feature you described sounds really cool. By the way, out of curiousity which does Edge currently use: the SDD3000 or the TC 2290? Thanks for all your help, and also to Loar for his reply.

Edhe's amin delays are the TC 2290's of which he has 4 in his rack. He still have the SDD3000 and uses them for some songs like Bad. The SDD3000's have a great preamp that give a nice warmth to the guitar tone. Several people are of the opinion that Edge will run his signal through the SDD's just for the preamp and let the TC do the actual delays.

There are also some songs that Edge uses both the TC and SDD together for a thicker or rhythmic delay. Songs like Gloria and Bad use the 2 delays.

Good luck in your search.

TheEdge U2JT said:
I would partially agree with the Memory Man. It is what Edge used early on, but it is not able to do longer delays. It was used for short delays like heard on Electric Co for example. He left them behind between War and UF.
Chas

The Memory Man can handle delays up to 550 ms, which is longer than the delay in any U2 song.

The longest I know of is Miracle Drug, which seems to use a setting around 480 ms or so. So it's theoretically possible to cover any U2 song using an EHMMD.

The precision (or lack thereof) for the EHMMD is more of a factor for Edge having abandoned it in favor of the rack-mounted SDD3000 during the Unforgettable Fire period.

And he uses the 2290s because the SDD3000 isn't MIDI-controllable and only has 10 presets for storing patches/settings. He obviously still uses the SDD3000s (I seem to recall a switch for it labeled on his pedalboard at the beginning of the Vertigo Chicago DVD), but the 2290s are his main live delay units.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Newbie here who has been enjoying all your guitar sound advice.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on the TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay pedal as a good option for emulating the EDGE sound? I've read both good and bad reviews online...

Cheers,

R
:wave:

The Memory Man can handle delays up to 550 ms, which is longer than the delay in any U2 song.

The longest I know of is Miracle Drug, which seems to use a setting around 480 ms or so. So it's theoretically possible to cover any U2 song using an EHMMD.

The precision (or lack thereof) for the EHMMD is more of a factor for Edge having abandoned it in favor of the rack-mounted SDD3000 during the Unforgettable Fire period.

And he uses the 2290s because the SDD3000 isn't MIDI-controllable and only has 10 presets for storing patches/settings. He obviously still uses the SDD3000s (I seem to recall a switch for it labeled on his pedalboard at the beginning of the Vertigo Chicago DVD), but the 2290s are his main live delay units.

The Mem Man...i dont think it can..I know it says it can in its description but i think you are lucky to get up to 400ms on it With modulation. You can get maybe a bit longer delays but you have to turn off the modulation to do it and Ive never heard any unit go over 400ms. Ive owned 6 of them from different eras and none could go 550ms.

If your going to use it for only a couple songs and you want a pedal then the DD20 in my opinion is the best

Mick

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask your thoughts on the TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay pedal as a good option for emulating the EDGE sound? I've read both good and bad reviews online...

Cheers,

R

my opinion is the Nova is a great delay but its modulation isnt too good to my ears.. The rate on the mod cant compete with the dd20. i will say the novas delays are very clear but they try to get myou to think its a 2290 in a box which it is not...

mick

I use the nova delay by TC and think it's one of the best delay pedals I've ever heard; it's certainly the best I've ever played through.

Hi, Joshua Tree Hugger, I had a DD20, before I switched to the Boss GT8 effects processor, The DD20 is a great pedal, you get all sorts of delay sounds, digital, modulated, analog, tape, reverse, warp, i think thats most of them. You get a maximum of a 23 second delay which is good, not cause youll ever use that but It has a sound on sound feature (or a 23 second looper) which is cool....i really wish i wouldve kept mine just for that....so nice for working out song ideas or just adding something simple like one repeated note in the background of a song. Also the delay is really fast to set, if edge wanted he would even have time to quickly change it for the next song. If your just going to cover a few songs, GO WITH THE DD20, you'll be happy with it haha. Hope this helps a little more with ur decision.

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

R

They say the Boss DD 20 has better mod delay then the TC. I have both the TC Nova Delay and the Boss DD-20. For my own use I couldn't care less about the mod delay and I find the TC far more easy to use in a live context. Its far more easy to dial in a good tempo plus it has 9 storable presets as opposed to the DD-20's 4, plus I like how you select the dual delays. You only get digital, analog or tape delay though, with no looping capability.

Another great delay pedal which gets overlooked a lot is the Line 6 Echo Park. Which has some features the DL-4 not even has. Although like the TC no looping though. But if you like looping the Boss RC-2 is a better option. A dedicated looping pedal allows you to keep your delay free for other uses.

Back
Top Bottom