Best budget pickups for the edge's sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fenderbendr

Babyface
I really love Edge's early tones from boy-unforgettable Fire, and I read that he used a Dimarzio fs1 in the bridge position in his strat. I was all set to get that, until I read that it lost a lot of the quack in the middle-bridge position that is nescisary for a lot of U2 songs.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good strat pickups under $100 that'll help get me closer to his tone, particularly his under a blood red sky tone, but will still get me a good quack sound? I currently use a stock mim strat with an ac15c1, but the pickups are a little thin sounding, and I'd like to try something better.

I was thinking about getting the Tex-mex pups. How are those?

Thanks

what about a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 Resistance 12.9k or SSL-4 Resistance 13.3k
and you should be able to keep your strat Quack.
i was once told a great sounding set is SSL-1 neck+middle and SSL-5 in the bridge
you could pick up a SSL-5 for under $100

what about a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 Resistance 12.9k or SSL-4 Resistance 13.3k
and you should be able to keep your strat Quack.
i was once told a great sounding set is SSL-1 neck+middle and SSL-5 in the bridge
you could pick up a SSL-5 for under $100

Cool, thanks.

So the ssl5 would keep the quack better than the fs1 would?

The FS1 gets mentioned often as it was mentioned in Musician magazine article at one point. But the thing is, I am not sure that pick-up was more than a short-lived experiment.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I was really going to say...why don't you go for Dimarzio Chopper, but I stopped

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Cool yeah hope it works out for you. The thing is about the early stuff is several magazines gave conflicting stories one said FS-1 and another said it was a Duncan lol I have the magazies sumwhere in my edge collection. hopefully the SSL-5 bridge pup will give that extra bit of punch but retain the strat goodness.

Back
Top Bottom