Besides U2, when it comes to songwriting and overall musicianship...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A|catura

Acrobat
...which artist or band "intimidates" you the most?

I would have to go with Sting. Seeing him in concert is like going to school. He is proficient in most music styles and theory. Everything he touches turns to gold, not due to luck, but due to his incredible songwriting abilities.

Also, that voice! DAMN!!! Next time you see or listen to him, check out his ability to sing and play difficult bass lines at the same time. I've been singing and playing guitar for many years now, but I still can't comprehend how he plays those awesome bass riffs and sings at the same time...

AMAZING!!!

I'll list a few.....

TOOL- I don't know how many here will agree w/ me on this one....but they have a lot of talent.

Dave Matthews Band- (same as above)

and...

The Beatles are probably the best ever...2nd would be Zeppelin...and I would dare to put U2 3rd...perhaps a little biased
wink.gif

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

The Beatles as best musicians???

they wrote some great songs and arranged some of them beautifully
but I can't say I'm much in awe about the way they mastered their instruments or their vocal capabilities

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 01-27-2002).]

Originally posted by Salome:
The Beatles as best musicians???

I meant songwriting. You're right, there are people out there who are much better musicians.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 01-27-2002).]

DMB....

How exciting was it to be a DMB fan in the early 90's.

Grassroots to Pop Stardom. The only transition that I was a part of.

CK

Originally posted by S|aney:

...which artist or band "intimidates" you the most?

I would have to go with Sting.

I've never had the privilege of seeing Sting in concert, but if I did... ohmigod... I'd probably never want to touch my bass again.

------------------
"Only the dead shall see the end of war." ~ Plato

SlipStream Soul

Sting is amazing, no doubt about it and apart from U2 he?s the one, I?d really want to see life.

He?s both a great singer and a brilliant bass player

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

If you want to listen to a bunch of virtuoso musicians - listen to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (they're newest album, Outbound, is a good intro - and they've got a double live album out that's just great - Live Art). They're a jazz/bluegrass/funk/fusion band and they're all incredibly talented musicians. Victor Wooten is the most impressive bass player I have ever heard. No one comes close.

I play the guitar so I'm usually intimidated by guitarists. I've seen Pearl Jam a lot of times and when I see Mike Mccready pull off a solo I just want to quit.

I feel really intimidated by Mike Einziger's (Incubus) way of playing. It seems so easy... but he is one of the greatest forgottens in todays top ten guitarist. Just when I thought i was getting the point, I bought the alive at red rocks dvd, and almost decided to give up.

Radiohead intimidates the heck out of me as well.

I play guitar, decent I suppose, but out of all music that I try to learn, I avoid Radiohead. :|
I fear that I'll mutilate the songs so much to a point where I would destroy my guitar and cry myself in some dark corner. :|

youtooellen said:
Radiohead intimidates the heck out of me as well.

I play guitar, decent I suppose, but out of all music that I try to learn, I avoid Radiohead. :|
I fear that I'll mutilate the songs so much to a point where I would destroy my guitar and cry myself in some dark corner. :|

One of these days im gonna do a karma police cover.Radioheads arrangements are really creative to say the least.Buddy Guys guitar playing is intense, go see him live.Damien Rice also intimidates me, he gets so passionate and intense, It rules.But the guy that makes me wanna stop playing, or start haha was good ole Stevie Ray Vaughn.His live dvds are intense, especially live at the El Mocambo.

Last edited:
It's funny that so many people seem to think Radiohead is difficult. I'm in a Radiohead coverband and to play their music its not that difficult. Their drummer has a good feel for complicated rhythms (Pyramid Song) but the guitarist are nowhere near the guitarpyrotechnics of a Steve Vai or a Joe Satriani. Although Jonny has a weird timing when he plays leads. Finding the right guitarsound is for me the biggest problem but I still think its peanuts compared to getting the right Edge guitarsound.

i agree with what you say about the sound, that pisses me off no end! i've taught myself most radiohead songs on the guitar and it's just getting it to sound right that's the problem!

for songwriting, i will say this boldly, Bob Dylan is the best songwriter ever. Musically, eh, but he is still one of my favorites behind U2

Oasis, REM, The Beatles, and The Who all write songs on par with U2's.

None of them, however, have a singer as good as Bono or a guitarist as creative as the Edge.

Back
Top Bottom