Beginner help! (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattyUK

The Fly
hey dudes,
ok so im now haveing lessons and my guitar tutor has said to bring in any music i want to learn. Now im thinking about buying one of the many U2 music books on offer. But im concerned i might need additional equipment for it to sound right. I would like to learn some of the newer stuff, say 1990 --> . Now im not super rich so i dont want to go spunking too much cash out here!! My Roland 60 amp has delay, and all the usual basic effects but am i going to need a different pedal for every song?? should i just choose some non U2 music to learn? :ohmy:help! Im so confused! I hear all this talk about a dulex memory man,or a wah pedal etc....

Last edited:
craigp said:
personally, i would go for some of the earlier songs as all you need is a good delay pedal and maybe a flange/chorus.
leave the newer stuff for now if your a beginer, theres just too many effects to worry about:wink:
Agreed!! But what would i need for the Fly and Hold me thrill me?:drool:

craigp said:
the fly - delay, pedal wah, phaser for the solo (ithink :huh: ) and a bit of distortion
hold me -delay, whammy and distortion

thats just off the top of my head so i may be wrong or they maybe more

My amp already has delay and phaser. Do i need a wah pedal?

I guess you would need a wah..

But if you want to get the perfect sound or which the Edge uses I'd get the Korg A3..

You can use the Korg A3 on some other songns like Mysterious Ways and Zoo Station..

tpsreports2424 said:
I guess you would need a wah..

But if you want to get the perfect sound or which the Edge uses I'd get the Korg A3..

You can use the Korg A3 on some other songns like Mysterious Ways and Zoo Station..

I have heard much about this Korg A3! dose it produce a similair sound to wah? where would one buy the Korg A3?

The Korg A3 went out of production but the only place I found it was Ebay..

The Korg A3 isn't just one effect...There are hundreds of TOTALLY different effects on it...the settings all have different effects in them..

Also you can by with or seperatley the SPC-1 card.

The pupose of the SPC-1 cards is: that there are hundreds of settings of effects the Korg A3 can do but the Korg A3 can only hold so many settings. So Korg decided to put about 100 effects into the Korg A3 itself. And then they sold 3 (I think 3) other cards that hold settings. (Spc-1, Spc-2, and Spc-3)

All you have to do is buy the Korg A3 and to play the Edges songs you would need SPC-1 because that's where all of his settings hold. Buy the SPC-1..Put the SPC-1 in the Korg A3 and you'll be good!

Good luck finding an SPC-1 service card. They are next to impossible to find. Better get yourself a good multi-purpose floor multi effect like a Pod XT Live or the Boss GT-8. There are others. Try some. You can never try before you buy to much.

If your budget is tight accept that you can't recreate Edge's two massive 19" effects racks. He has to much, a lot of which he only uses for individual songs. A good single multi effect will give you a good solid basis to use, also for other things beside U2. A reasonable approximation is good enough for most audiences anyway. So why bother unless you are in a tribute band.

Well im pretty sure i cant strecth to any of these posh effects processors. Would a Dunlop Wah pedal be a wise choice anyway? Or maybe just a BOSS multi effects pedal. I mean im learning the fly at the moment and I was thinking maybe I could use it for some other tunes too? My Roland 60 amp has Phaser, Delay and all the other goodies already.

IMHO it would be best to go for a good quality multi-FX. It may take a little more time to save but it will be worth it. Going for cheaper stuff because you are impatient ultimately means throwing away good money as you'll find yourself wanting the better product. Maybe you can look for a cheaper used one on E-bay or other sites.

As for the Dunlop Wah, it has its uses. But like any pedal, it's single use. It will only do one trick. The beauty of multi-FX is that they do multiple. On the plus side, if you can only afford let's say between 50 and 100 $ or € a month, pedals allow you to slowly build up a nice pedalboard. Boss effects pedals, while not the best, have the advantage that tons of cheap mods exist to improve their sounds. And if your solder-Fu is really good might I suggest the do it yourself pedals from buildyourownclone.com. Relatively inexpensive clones of classic pedals.

You should start with a floor pedal, I had a gnx3 that has a 8 track recorder on it, bought it on ebay for 200$ a year ago. I later bought a korg a3, that is a good processors plus you don't need any card, just plug it to your computer via midi and you can upload to the a3 all the existing card available (11 total) from online, bought a3 on ebay around 250. With A3 you will be able to play lots of u2, of course it's not 100% but very close. You could try Bad very little effects needed only delay, comp, maybe distortion but I don't remember!! Anyway good luck, any question with A3, SDD-3000, Pod Pro or filter factory just ask.

Back
Top Bottom