Beautiful Day Instrumental Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YouTube - Beautiful Day Instrumental

I messed around with Beautiful Day and came up with a, what I think is, an interesting cover. I based this one off David Holmes Instrumental Remix. I would have done the full song if I had a pitch shifter to do the bridge of the song. Feedback is appreciated, as well as tips and such. :D

Quantizing the drum track first and then laying bass, guitar etc on top (and in time) would be my first thought. I like the idea of the David Holmes mix. Cool to have a different take on the song.

I did check and I don't think Garageband has quantizing on it. Or maybe it does and I'm just too dumb to figure it out.:| I need a real kit instead of doing it using a keyboard to Garageband. And the David Holmes remix is really quite awesome to me. It's just as if they set up some mics and just jammed it out. It sounds really raw and I like that.

I did check and I don't think Garageband has quantizing on it. Or maybe it does and I'm just too dumb to figure it out.:| I need a real kit instead of doing it using a keyboard to Garageband. And the David Holmes remix is really quite awesome to me. It's just as if they set up some mics and just jammed it out. It sounds really raw and I like that.

Hope this helps.
How to Quantize Your MIDI Recordings and Synth Lines In GarageBand To Make Them Sound Better | eHow.com

Once you have it set up to quantizw, it should quantize your tracks (starting with your drum track).

Make your drum track. Add your bass track. A solid drum track should help your timing while making your bass track. And then the same with your guitar track.

I'm pretty sure you can quantize those to so that they mildly/self-correct if you are slightly off w/your bass and guitar tracks.

The quantizing should help tons and get the track sounding closer to what you intend.

Again, love the idea of doing the Holmes mix. Try the quantizing. Make a clip. Post it. Take the suggestions. Adjust. Re-record. It's how you learn. And kudos for putting yourself out there to show your progress. Takes heart and courage and that is applauded.

I'd post clips but I've not software to do so, right now. (Hopefully I will have a new Mac in a few months and start making clips again; I've not recorded in ages)

Thanks E_O!:D I'm checking out that link right now. Will see what I can do with those drum tracks. My timing sucks.:lol: Hopefully through time I'll get better at doing this. And I hope you get a Mac soon as they are real fun to use. I hope I can get one of the Mac books one day. Just using my dad's right now.

Yeah, in Garageband you can lay down MIDI drums (or real instrument drums, for that matter, but this won't work as well), and then click on the button that looks like scissors in the lower left hand side. An editing window will appear on the bottom under your tracks, so select your MIDI drum tracks and then use the "fix timing" function down in that lower window. You might have to mess around with it a little to get the results you want, but it works alright.

Back
Top Bottom