Attempting the impossible: Gettin that sound cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman816

Babyface
Hello all, I've been playing guitar for a while now but always come across disappointed when I learn a U2 song and it doesn't sound anything like how Mr. The Edge plays it, for many reasons but what I am getting at is the effects he uses. Obviously this whole area is dedicated to this, but I am wondering what pedals/effects are out there that sound similar to Edge but with a smaller cost? Thanks guys!

Get a multi-effects pedal that has an AC30 amp model and a variety of delays, buy ther Herdim picks, and you'll get close.

If you're aiming for the older sound (Boy-era), then delay and slight distortion is really all you need. You can get both/either pedals at a reasonable price. As for the more ambient feel, I'm not too sure. Usually requires more money. Haha.

Happy hunting! :)

How can the Pitchfactor be used in an Edge sense? Shimmer? The crystal echoes sound? Similar to the POG in any way?

How can the Pitchfactor be used in an Edge sense? Shimmer? The crystal echoes sound? Similar to the POG in any way?

Pitchfactor can be used for shimmer. 'Crystal Echoes' is a shimmer setting in the Eventide H3000.

Shimmer and POG are not the same. POG is more of the sound of the verses of Magnificent and not the orchestra trails one get with shimmer.

I had one of these, sans expression pedal, when I was starting out learning U2 songs and for 90$ or whatever I was so, so happy. Cheap manufacturing, but you don't need to spend a fortune on individual pedals at like 70$ each to get a good approximation of the U2 sound.

http://www.mooresmusicemporium.com/images/RP80.jpg

You could save individual presents (about 40?) for each song with each having a good combination of delay, chorus, fuzz, or whatever. In retrospect it's really surprising at the sound I could get for under a hundred dollars, and if you are just getting started with effects you might want to look into something similar.

Trying to pull off U2 with individual quality pedals is a money hole for the beginner.

So I've gotten myself a good Edge tone... but if I were to lose it all and need to rebuy everything (new or in excellent condition), it'd cost between $4800-$5200 (depending upon prices of UK Vox amps used). But that's not exactly cheap.

Telecaster with SD P-Rails pickups/Stratocaster->
Splitter A->Hot Cube Clean Boost->EHX POG->TC Nova Delay->Vox AC30
Splitter B->Ernie Ball Volume->Boss TU-2->Line 6 Verbzilla->EHX LPB1->Fender Blues Jr.

This is a great setup for 80s U2 for sure.

Let's just put it this way: any guitar I ever buy from now on will wind up with P-Rails in it. They're amazing and amazingly versatile.

Back
Top Bottom