Aspiring Adam Clayton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
i was just wondering to any bassists out there what its like playing bass coz i really wanna take it up and become as much of a king as "Sparky" clayton.

Is it difficult to learn?

Are u2 songs hard to pick up?

Does the bass guitar ( and bassist) play a significant part in the songwriting process?

What bass guitars are the best to get for a beginner?

Is it ideal to have professional lessons or can you just pick it up and learn as by yourself

Bass is a good instrument to start on because it's not too hard to get to a basic but decent, ready to mess around in a band standard fairly quickly. This is because you've only got four strings to think about and you generally only have to play them one at a time. Some bass players do use five (or more) string basses, which might be of interest to you, but Clayton doesn't, and some, including Clayton, do play chords (a chord means more than one string at a time) but most of the time not, and in fact Adam very rarely does these days. U2 songs aren't terribly difficult to play by and large, Adam belongs to the school of solid and tasteful playing rather than the twiddly fingers brigade, so the bass parts should be manageable for bass players of almost any standard, though I would suggest listening to/learning from other players too, Clayton is a good bass player and all but someone like (for example) Tony Levin is in a different league to just about any bass player you care to name. Having said all that, any instrument is impossible if you don't really work at it. Be prepared to put in a lot of hours practicing songs over and over again until they become automatic. Fingering technique for both hands is really important too, so I would suggest that a good teacher is worth every penny, but if you can't afford that then get one of the instructional videos to study or get a friend to help you out. The main thing (IMO) is to learn to "feel" and stay with the beat of the music in your head; the most important part of a bass players job is, together with the drummer, to keep the band in solid time. If you can do that then you're 50% of the way there IMO.

What bass to buy? My own preference has always been towards Fenders and Fender styled instruments. It's a classic, popular styling, always in fashion, looks good for any style of music, and easier than many other instruments to sell/part exchange if you decide to trade up to a better bass after a year or two. Personally I'd recommend a Jazz bass because of the thinner neck which for beginners is much easier to play than that found on a Precision bass (Adam plays both of these models by the way). Fender do a budget line (called Squier) which aren't bad for the money (around $250 US new) or you can pick up a second hand made in Mexico Fender bass for around that. Or you can spend less and get a non-Fender copy, again, quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer so watch out, and resale or trade in value may be slight or nil. I'd suggest a yellow/red/black sunburst or other classic finish (e.g. gloss black etc.) for the sole reason that they are easier to sell if you want to get rid of it at some point. Personally I'd recommend a Tokai Jazz copy, they look like 60's Fenders, play very well and often cost less than a new genuine budget Fender. I have two Tokai basses and love them both. If you have a choice get one made before 1985 since they are *exact* replicas of the early Fender models (in fact Fender sued them over it, such was their accuracy). ebay is a good place to browse for basses actually, there's lots there so see what models take your fancy. I've bought a few instruments there actually. Other brands used by starters are Yamaha, MTD, Epiphone etc. etc. If possible I'd go to a store with a friend who knows something about bass and fiddle about with a few and see how you get on.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Mick

I agree with basically everything gragravar said. If you've never played any instrument before I would definately recommend getting instruction of some kind, if this is not your first instrument you should be able to figure out most of it on your own. Also if you go shopping for a bass try to get someone who knows what they're doing to go with you if at all possible. You may not want to get something too expensive to start with incase you don't stick with it (i've seen squire starter pack with a bass and amp for $200 or less), but if you are sure you're going to stick with it a more expensive instrument is a good investment. Shop around, don;'t buy the first thing you see. I was able to get a good deal on a used Mexican Fender that was like new.

Last edited:
thanks for the info..its great....

i have played a bit of piano and very basic acoustic guitar before so, that might be a start.....

thanks for the info on what brands to get too....fender sounds good but im still not 100% on whether im really gonna be passionate about playing bass, so im still up in the air about how much to spend....

if there's any developments ill make it known under this thread

Thanks again....

One more thing before I forget... the budget bass that appears to be the choice of the cash-strapped is the OLP Musicman Stingray copy. This has had great reviews from a number of sources, including most importantly players. If you do a google search on the product you'll find any number of reviews, they're available on ebay too so you can have a look at one if you want. If you want to talk to bass players about gear, lessons and so forth the newsgroup alt.guitar.bass is very helpful too, I have always had courteous and helpful replies when I have asked a question there. Just have a browse, you'll definitely learn something of interest there.

We're all keen to hear how you get on so don't keep us waiting :)

Mick

Back
Top Bottom