Anyone ever tried using an octaver for Mysterious Ways on a 6 string?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Bit of a dilemma here. I'm covering Mysterious Ways in an upcoming gig, with a Les Paul. Have a great setting on the A3, no problem there, but it's definitely missing the jangly-ness of the Ricky.

I have access to a Behringer US600 pitch shift pedal, which has an octave harmony option. Can't try it out right now as it's a friend's and I can't borrow it until he's free at the weekend, but I'm just wondering has anyone tried anything like this and what was the result? I'm a little hesitant since the top three strings of a 12 string (as far as I know) aren't actually an octave higher, they simply double the top three strings of the ordinary 6-string. So what would it sound like using a pitch shifter to double all six strings an octave higher? Reckon this is a good idea or will it sound like balls? :p

Unless the pitch shift is really spot on, you might just be better off playing with the LP without the octaver.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Don't know the Behringer, but it seems like a copy of a Boss harmonizer pedal. And harmonizers generally work best tracking single notes. Maybe you should try it with the EHX POG instead? They tend to track flawlessly even on chords.

I remember there is a Digitech pedal called mosaic or something like that that emulates 12 string

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

mysterious ways

12 string emulation I remember years back
I had a digitech RP5 and it done a 12string patch which was pitch shift -chorus and reverb. The Boss pedal units PS-5 ect do the 12 string emulation too but its ok not perfect. The Digitech IPS33 and 33B rack units or newer units you could get a better mix control over the pitch effect and would sound much better than the pedals.
The recent version of 'Mysterious Ways' on the SOI tour sounds good without the A3.

Try the Behringer there's prob a 12string setting since its based on the Boss PS-5/6. Line6 variax also does the 12string emulation i have the 300 model and its pretty good but I wouldnt run out and buy one
just For one song :) see how you get on and keep us posted

Tone of a LP vs RIC is very different. So the issue of 12-string isn't the biggest concern. Something like a Mosaic would work better and more 'jangly sounding' with single coils (Tele, Strat) but with humbuckers... it would not sound like a RIC

thanks Muad'zin yes i think with more tweaking of the effects and adding
a 12string sound it would get closer.

so i had some time to mess around today..i changed sum effects in
the M13 and added a 12 string sound i also added sum audio commentary :-~)

https://soundcloud.com/bbbruce5/mst-ways-studio-and-live-m13

see what yous think. the only thing with the M13 is you can only have
4 effects on in the chain but best i could come up with until i A/B the
Korg A3 individual effects and parameter then compare it and tweak
but il leave that for a future project...

Back
Top Bottom