Any opinions on the Fender Deluxe Powerhouse Strat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lylas

The Fly
So, I've been playing on my nice Takamine G series acoustic for about 6 months now, and I'd like to get an electric guitar as well. I'd really like something that was pretty versatile (can play nice clean shimmering sounds to loud fat sounds), and I'll probably be playing mostly U2, from Boy to ATYCLB. I've been looking on the web, and the Deluxe Powerhouse strat seems to fit the bill. Just wondering if anyone has played one of these or has any opinions on them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine has a texas special fat strat...and it sounds wonderful. You mihgt wanna look into the gibsin explorers and les pauls as well. I o't know what the price difference will be though

The Powerhouse Strat is about $500-700, not such a bad price. I briefly looked at some the Gibson and Les Pauls and they seemed much more expensive. I don't really want to spend that kind of money yet. The Fat Strats have a humbucker (just learned that word yesterday!) and two single coils on them, I believe, and my boss was saying you can't get some of the single coil sounds because you lose one to the humbucker. Haha, talking about my guitars is proving to be a good way to socialize with my boss. I don't share many of the other interests with the guys and bosses at work (cigars, beer, and golf), so it's been cool that I can at least talk to him about some non-work related stuff and not be left out of everything completely because I'm the only female around here.

Oh, but back to the guitar. The Powerhouse is supposed to have an active booster on it that's supposed to let you get humbucker like sounds, but you still have the three single coils of the standard Strat. I'll probably head on down to Mars this evening and see if I like how it sounds.

[This message has been edited by lylas (edited 03-27-2002).]

I guess it's going to be straight through to the amp for awhile, because I'm still a beginner. I'll probably try to experiment with some effects, but I really don't know much about any of that. Tried out the guitar at Mars and I really liked how it sounded. I can get it and a gig bag for about $500 after taxes, etc. I'm thinking that's a decent deal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
smile.gif

If you like the sound and feel of it, go for it! It's your first electric so you don't need anything outrageously expensive. Strats are easily upgradable & customizable so the guitar can grow with you. Good luck!

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

well if you like it...go for it...you can never go wrong with a strat

just please do me a favor..if th guitar has a tremolo arm please take it off before you put it in the case???

Promise arun you will do this

Uh, what's a tremolo arm? Is it that handle thing you see attached to the part of the guitar where the strings end. Oh man what a lame description. I have a LOT to learn, but it didn't have one on at the store. And if I ever put one on, I will promise you to take it off before I put it in the case. I get the impression that bad things happen if I leave it on and try to close the case?

Most likely they just didn't have the arm screwed in. It would be quite bad if you tried to close the case with it still in. You'd for sure throw your guitar's tuning and possibly its intonation out of whack...if you were luck you could rip the whole trem right off the body.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Originally posted by lylas:
I guess it's going to be straight through to the amp for awhile, because I'm still a beginner. I'll probably try to experiment with some effects, but I really don't know much about any of that. Tried out the guitar at Mars and I really liked how it sounded. I can get it and a gig bag for about $500 after taxes, etc. I'm thinking that's a decent deal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
smile.gif

I think it sounds like a great deal...but I'm a newbie to the guitar world too. I've had a bass for a little over a month now and just haven't had time to play it as much as I'd like. But in the summer I'll be taking lessons!
biggrin.gif
Oh and I got mine from Mars too.
biggrin.gif
The big question is...what color is it? heh

[This message has been edited by clarityat3am (edited 03-28-2002).]

It's candy apple red with white pickguard and rosewood fingerboard. That's actually the only color they had, but I was perfectly happy with how it looked.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom