any musician's here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a drummer. All studs play Yamaha.

And I can't say how it stands up. I am still a virgin. But I imagine it will very well!

I've played guitar for 3 years, good old strat, black and white, I think this album shows a lot of their abilities, especially the drums and bass again. Edge plays so simple, yet it's actually quite complex..kind of hard to explain, you can do his riffs, but you can't make it sound even close....but this album is great

I play gutiar a lot, mostly U2 stuff. If any of ya want Edge's warm tone all I can say is Vox AC-30 amp! wooo

Anyway, I also think its very important to point out the bass. I think this is some of Adam's great work. Maybe no memorable basslines like New Year's Day or With or Without You, but listen to New York. He is really really going at it. No wonder U2 is saying they had so much fun playing this album. For once, they were all playing with what seemed to be equal influence in the songs. Its really great!

As a 23 year old guitarist who's been playing since he was 15... I dunno. But as a 23 year old that's been writing poetry/song lyrics, also getting into other facets of art, and even branching out in terms of musical taste.. I think it's an awesome album.

I've been playing piano for about 10 years now (I'm a senior in college, majoring in piano pedagogy), and I sorta taught myself guitar (I'll put it this way - Bono's better than I am
biggrin.gif
).

I love this new album. I think it stands up just fine against previous work and surpasses previous work in many ways. It's not as sonically layered as past albums, but it feels very polished and complete. They came through on what they set out with - creating joy in music - and I love the little harmonic surprises they throw in on some songs - like the shift to minor in the chorus of peace on earth. I think the music does sound more mature, but still with plenty of vibrance and edge to it. I agree with Rolling Stone - it's U2's 3rd masterpiece.
biggrin.gif

I've played guitar since I was 15 although I am am not very good, play rythm mostly.

I think the new album kicks arse but musicly but with U2 that's no different than usual.

Despite the name, I play bass... Right-handed of all things! Go figure!
ohwell.gif

BTW, here's two other left-handed bassists who play right-handed: John Patitucci and Michael Anthony (Van Halen.)

------------------
OK, Edge... Play the blues!

I play guitar,and I have a les paul epi.
I play u2 but also pink floyd, R.E.M.,Jimy Hendrix and other stuff....
I can play well...I'm not a guitar genius but I enjoy playing..

ive played the guitar for 13 years. i leared how to tune a guitar by listening to streets(d/g organ bit at the start)SBS was the first riff i learned how to play.

------------------
New York? we DO own the place!

We got the makings of a U2 tribute band!

Who live in or near the SW Ohio area? I know Jubilee2000DAY does. Anyone else?

Who sings? Not me!

------------------
OK, Edge... Play the blues!

The production, for me, somewhat hampers the band's performance of the record.

Generally, the guitar bits are thickly textured, but they're somewhat mixed to create a sort of anonymous sound. So, though the album is guitar-heavy, it lacks character.

A good example of that is "When I Look at the World." Sonically, it's extremely rich in the sense that Radiohead's The Bends is rich. There's a layer of feedback guitar, a layer of delay, and a simple keyboard figure creating this vortex of texture. But, because this is all shoved into the back, it lacks anonymous.

"New York" is an interesting juxtaposition of jungle (yes, Mullen's playing a breakbeat) and a ambient guitar figure that wouldn't be out of place on Radiohead's OK Computer. The loud guitar part has a sort of laquered, rough personality as a classic Verve jam, but again, it's sorta melted away in the mix.

I mean, ATYCLB is first of all a POP record, so I guess they recorded it as such. But, when U2 tours, listen to how DIFFERENTLY (and IMO better) these songs will be, given that the band's identity can be better heard.

It will rock.

Now that I have heard it, I can say that they all give rock solid performances. Not aweinspiring musicianship but it all fits together.

------------------
"The Critics are dead."
-Rock 'N' Roll

Lefty Egde - I'm left handed, too, but I play my bass right handed as well.

My plugging sucks (right hand) but I'm great in hitting the right notes (left hand).

I just made my way through BD.
The new songs are great and I can't wait until I know how to play them, especially Elevation and In a little while. Does anyone have bass taps for the new songs? That might speed up things a little bit.

I'd love to play in a band, but all my friends that play an instrument don't like U2. Anyone out there interested in forming a cover band? In Ireland please. Long distance (band) relationships do not really work.
biggrin.gif

intro.. I sing and play a Gibson folk guit. Um that's it. I'm waiting for enough dough to buy an electric guit that I just KNOW will change my life, lol!

foray

Back
Top Bottom