Any idea what guitar edge used on Boots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_One1932

Acrobat
I'm guessing it was his gold top les paul, but it could have been one of his teles. He sure knows how to get a big sound using a tele (like vertigo), but this song seemed to have more of a humbucker sound. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Sg's hads been in my thoughts too
but at the end I think it's a Tele due tot the sharp attack of it
(with a bit of fuzz, probably a Big Muff)
...but with Edge's effects (rack) it can be anything...

Something to consider is that a recording of a U2 songs has many guitar parts on it. In that, many guitars are used.

Example: Seems that much of "Kite" was one of the Les Paul's but yet, the solo was a Gretsch Country Gentleman.

Also, keep in mind that Danny Lanois has often played some guitar on U2 songs, dating back to "I Still Haven't Found..." (perhaps before too). So the question then becomes, what guitar did Lanois use?

Just a thought or two...

there's that u2.com video of edge getting ready to record a track on a tele, and it sounds like the track that ended up on boots (the sparse, semi-arpeggio clean guitar part)

Odd, then why would he use the Les Paul in the video? Hm, now I think of it more, he didn't use the right guitar in the Elevation vid, nor vertigo..

1966 Fender Telecaster (blonde finish). Looks to be the same one used for "Vertigo" during the Vertigo tour.

[image]

[image]

[youtube video]

Seems Edge has gone all Tele on us lately. Look at the Fez video on The Guardian, showing Edge with a tobacco Telecaster.

YouTube - U2 Fez - Marrocos U2Only HD

Similar or same as the one that shows up in the U2.com studio snippets.

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeputitdown.swf

Couple other items seen in the U2.com link above, for the trainspotters...
Z-Vex "Fuzz Factory" (kick ass pedal!)
ZVEX EFFECTS

...and what appears to be a Z-Vex "Box of Rock" pedal.
ZVEX EFFECTS

My friend has one of the Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzzgun pedals.... nails "Get On Your Boots" dead on. I feel certain that pedal is the main sound on "Get On Your Boots".

So he's using zvex now. That's cool.

I had the opportunity to fiddle with the Box of Rock and the Ringtone, shortly before Christmas. The Ringtone is insane! But I don't have much use for wicked sounds like these, really. But it's great fun to mess around with, for sure.

The Box of Rock is proper, too. Of course it's not half as spectacular as the Ringtone. But if you're looking for a warm British vintage sound (Marshall JTM45 that is in this case) it might be worth checking out, although IMO it's nothing that blows you away. But it's nice.

The price for either one of them isn't too attractive, though...

I apologize, if this has been asked before, BUT

picture4nn9.png

Wan't this one auctioned off????????

So he's using zvex now. That's cool.

I had the opportunity to fiddle with the Box of Rock and the Ringtone, shortly before Christmas. The Ringtone is insane! But I don't have much use for wicked sounds like these, really. But it's great fun to mess around with, for sure.

The Box of Rock is proper, too. Of course it's not half as spectacular as the Ringtone. But if you're looking for a warm British vintage sound (Marshall JTM45 that is in this case) it might be worth checking out, although IMO it's nothing that blows you away. But it's nice.

The price for either one of them isn't too attractive, though...

I apologize, if this has been asked before, BUT

picture4nn9.png

Wan't this one auctioned off????????

It does look like the auctioned LP. Guitar Center bought that one. He had two white LP Customs. One with gold knobs (1975) and one with black knobs (1973).

That in mind, he usually has a backup for each guitar of similar if not exact colour/vintage/type.

Although in some cases colour might be different (ex: The Pelham blue SG being the backup to his Heritage Cherry SG [used for Elevation])

It is curious, judging by that vide still. But the 1973 had similar buckle rash. Perhaps he merely swapped out the knobs on the 1973 to the gold speed knobs, similar to the 1975 that was auctioned?

I saw Edge's 1975 auctioned LP Custom when it was on display at Guitar Center. Maybe Edge DID buy his LP and merely loan it to GC and their travelling display? I dunno.

Here's some of the pics I took when the auctioned LP was on display...

5-31-2008-02.jpg

5-31-2008-03.jpg

5-31-2008-05.jpg

5-31-2008-12.jpg

6-1-2008-10.jpg

6-1-2008-13.jpg

6-1-2008-22.jpg

He still owns the black knob lp custom, which is the one used in the video.

I duno what he's using, its either tele or LP.

For the (3) awards show performances of GOYB, Edge has used the blonde 1966 Telecaster.

Studio? Could be that or another Tele. Could be a combination of guitars, this can often be the case. (Like "Kite" being the LP Custom but with the Gretsch Country Gentleman on the solo)

Back
Top Bottom