Answer to the "One" intro guitar is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Interesting bit in the Achtung Baby Uber Box set book...

Danny Lanois is mentions that it was he that came up with/played the "One" intro on a green Gretsch.

Presumably, Bono's late `50's Country Club; which Edge later used in the "Magnificent" video.

Makes sense as it is finger picked and Danny doesn't use plectrums.

What guitar is that hallow body we see edge with almost thru the whole book?

I'm not sure what photo or which book you are referring for certain.

Are you talking about the book that comes with the Achtung Baby Super and Uber reissues?

I didn't notice any pictures of Edge playing a semi-hollow or hollow body guitar in that book.

Anywho... Here's the Country Club in question:

Bono playing it during the 'Elevation' tour -

portland-bonoApril15th2001MATTMCGEEPAGE229-482.jpg

Edge from the "Magnificent" video -

1959-Country_Club-1.jpg

Legend has it, it may have been obtained from Bruce Springsteen (unconfirmed)

The One in the uber. :D

The picture on page 15 of the Achtung Baby issue of Propaganda is The Edge with Bono's 1958 Gretsch Chet Atkins 'Tennessean' (red)

That photo was from the video shoot for "Night And Day".

U2-NIGHT & DAY - YouTube

Bono used it live during Popmart for a number of performances of "Gone", like the one before at the Tibetan Freedom show:

U2 - Gone (Tibet Freedom Festival 1997-06-07) - YouTube

Bono also used it for "All I Want Is You" performance at the Omagh tribute [1998] (Edge played his 1968 Country Gentleman in the clip below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGNynovFj5Y&feature=player_embedded

From the same performance, Bono with the Chet Atkins Tennessean on "North And South Of The River":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ5V5Fb18k&feature=player_embedded

Really why do you think that? There are a lot of pics of edge using the clapton strat in hansa.....:D

True, there are a number of photographs. But, keep in mind that songs were worked on at Hansa but the bulk of the album was recorded in Dalkey, Ireland.

Could be Anton happened to take a handful of pictures when Edge had that guitar out?

Don't get me wrong, I do think that it is highly likely that the Fender 'Eric Clapton' Stratocaster made the album on a few things.

I think it was used for "Lady With The Spinning Head" (Yes, I know... it's a B-side)

It seems that the LP Custom got a lot of time. Appears the Gibson ES-330 got some time too, if studio photos are any clue.

I hope to get a chance to talk to Dallas again. I will have to remember to ask a bit about what the Clapton Stratocaster might have been used on in the studio.

I've also seen a lot of pics of edge with the strat while recording zooropa.

Thanks for the insight E_O :wave:

Indeed, lots of pics with Edge an a black and white Stratocaster during the Zooropa recordings.

There are also Zooropa era pics of Edge with Adam's black Ibanez bass (That pic is in the Uber Box book too).

Wonder what bass line he may have laid down?

I know that in the past, he wrote and recorded the bass for '40' and 'Race Against Time' (Joshua Tree B-Side)

Yes I saw the pic of Edge with the Ibanez bass in the Super Deluxe book. Maybe a song like Some Days Are Better Than Others?

Yes I saw the pic of Edge with the Ibanez bass in the Super Deluxe book. Maybe a song like Some Days Are Better Than Others?

I'm pretty sure that "Some Days..." was Adam on bass.

And I think that GG is correct... I think I remember something about Edge - bass - and Zooropa. Might be the atmoshphic beginning bits.

If I remember correctly, the basic track from the faster part was from a soundcheck and then built up from there.

Back
Top Bottom