An Strat Donn (Brown)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
An Strat Donn (Brown)?

Found a clip of U2 miming NYD (France TV - 1983).

‪New Year's Day - U2‬‏ - YouTube

Interesting gear. At first glance, the drum kit looks to be similar to what Larry normally used in the period but the bass, piano and drums... no.

The Precision bass that Adam has is a 3 tone tobacco. I think his 1972 was two tone. I don't remember it having the amount of red in it that the one in the video has.

As for Edge's gear in the video... The piano isn't the Yamaha CP-70 that Edge used in that time frame. And I haven't seen that brown Stratocaster before or since.

So I am guessing it was loaned equipment for the video / TV taping.

Still cool to see. Nice that after all of these years that I still happen across video that I've not previously seen.

Strat-197x-Brown-NYD_France-3-1.jpg

Strat-197x-Brown-NYD_France-1-1.jpg

Strat-197x-Brown-NYD_France-2-1.jpg

I think the most interesting piece of gear is Bono's hair.

Holy shit.

:lol:

Check any of the 1983-ish video (live and otherwise). The frosted tips and mullet... Lordy!

Mystery solved?

Perhaps.

A fellow from the U2 Stage and Studio FB group sent the link below. It is from the Met Museum exhibit.

It looks like the brown Stratocaster in the French NYD video might be the 1976 walnut brown Stratocaster that was re-painted black. It has brass saddles.

Title: Stratocaster (serial no. 76 75765)

Artist: Fender

Artist: David Howell Evans "The Edge" (British, Barking, United Kingdom, born 1961)

Date: 1976

Medium: Alder, maple, walnut, chrome, nickel, brass, plastic

Dimensions: Length: 39 1/4 in. (99.7 cm)
Width: 12 3/4 in. (32.4 cm)
Depth: 1 3/4 in. (4.4 cm)
Weight: 8-10 lbs.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/colle...R-1BOlGTf9CpX_dFjy3dia950b2xKu8e0KdbM2y5xGDDg

Back
Top Bottom