An Strat Burgundy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't seen that many people liking Burgundy Mist finish , except for collectors; out of all "custom finishes" Fender did pre-CBS it was rarest of the bunch, alongside with sea form green and some other. Im kinda glad that Edge likes those quirky colors, tho.

also yeah, if Ed Obrien's sig strat is coming soon (he said it somewhere that he would have signature strat with Fender soon) then i wont be surprised that Edge would use one. Ed's custom strat which may be similar to his "new" sig strat was very similar to one Edge uses (i probably pointed this out somewhere); both has sustainer, both has side input jacks, etc.

only vintage burgundy mist guitar I've encountered online (aside form bunch of recent reissues) is this Bass VI:

Last edited:
Im just wondering, but do you guys have problems with normal input jacks of strats? do you guys see any benefits of having input jacks on the side?

however i may be biased here because i use only straight jacks and it seems very convenient as is; if you're using angled cable, then having input on the side may be better

I prefer side input on my Strat builds over the normal slanted Strat inputs. No matter what kind of plugs I use. Whenever a jack starts to become loose its far easier to it with a side input. As an added bonus if you want to include some additional circuitry having a side input frees up potential space.

Right, i forgot about the loose jack; the input screw of my strat got loose couple of months ago and it was fairly difficult to tighten it because i didn't have the proper tool.

Only hear i have about side jack is that if i step on the cable the guitar would be unplugged easily. i have heard a lot of LP players (and Steve Via, who played super strat with a side input jack) tend to complain about that issue.

today apparently Ed Obrien' s signature strat was announced at summer NAMM and it's got side input jack and Fernandes sustainer. it kinda looks similar to edge's burgundy strat, tho

Right, i forgot about the loose jack; the input screw of my strat got loose couple of months ago and it was fairly difficult to tighten it because i didn't have the proper tool.

Only hear i have about side jack is that if i step on the cable the guitar would be unplugged easily. i have heard a lot of LP players (and Steve Via, who played super strat with a side input jack) tend to complain about that issue.

Simple, always loop your cable via the guitar strap into the input jack, then if you step on the cable its the guitar strap that bears the strain, never the jack in the input. Besides, doesn't matter if its a side mounted jack or a Strat style jack, if you do not loop your cable via the the guitar strap and you step on the cable it will come out regardless.

today apparently Ed Obrien' s signature strat was announced at summer NAMM and it's got side input jack and Fernandes sustainer. it kinda looks similar to edge's burgundy strat, tho

I'm not surprised. If you want to mount that Sustainer circuit it either has to be mounted below the pickguard in front of the pickup selector or in the spot where the Strat jack is always mounted. First spot is an easy mod, but the downside is if you want to finetune the sustainer you need access to the onboard trimpots. Can't do that properly when mounted to the guitar via the pickguard. Also there's a risk of knocking against the switches in that spot if you're strumming the guitar enthusiastically. I ruined a switch that way once.

In place of the Strat jack is a far better spot. But it would have to be designed that way from the start, otherwise you'd have to fill that jack cavity first. But if its done that way there's no risk of accidentally hitting a switch, and with a backside cavity routing you can adjust the Sustainer board trimpots while playing the guitar.

In fact I can see only benefits for a Strat with backside control cavities. That big pickguard with all the electronics mounted on it is the Strat's biggest weakness as it makes it impossible to fix electronics on the fly. You always have to remove the strings first.

right, I'm sure Fender guys only thought of ease to assemble and install when they mounted all the electronics on the pickguard. I remember even Gibson tried mounting some electronics on the pickguard in the 70s for SGs. I don't think it lasted very long tho. but again, there's springs on the back of strats so it would be very hard to have cavity on the back, isn't it?

also, the new Ed's signature costs around 1100 US dollars, which is very good def considering it has name-brand pickups (like Fender Texas Special and Seymour Duncan JB Jr) and Sustainer system. i hope Edge could release his own sustainer strat as a signature model with that kind of price point.

Back
Top Bottom