Amps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeIsTooSexy

ONE love, blood, life
for christmas I might get a new amp. and i know edge only uses vintage ones. thats prob. going to be too hard for my parents I mean SANTA to find because theyre not exactly computer savvy.
so what new Vox amp is close enough to what Edge uses?

I have a Vox AD30VT or something like that... and it has an option of producing an AC30 sound
it also has a lot of other good parts, built in delay, wah, and a lot of other stuff!
:drool: it was love at first sight!

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
for christmas I might get a new amp. and i know edge only uses vintage ones. thats prob. going to be too hard for my parents I mean SANTA to find because theyre not exactly computer savvy.
so what new Vox amp is close enough to what Edge uses?

get a good tube amp, get effects later

The reason Edge loves vintage amps is not because they were made using lost secrets of the Ancients. While the specs of Vox amps have changed over time you find the specs to the same amps Edge uses and build them yourself. The real reason Edge likes vintage amps is because a well maintained amp (important caveat) ages like a fine wine, its sounds better with age. You can never hope to recreate that with a new amp, even if it were build to the exact same specs.

Now, I've heard good things about the current crop of Vox amps, saying they are just as good if not better then the old ones. Of course they will not sound vintage but only time can give you that. Personally, for those on a small budget I wouldn't completely rule out modeling.
Lately I've taken an interest in PA systems and unless you have a large stage with a class A PA system and a sound engineer who knows how the PA works and how the venue sounds acoustically few people will notice the difference between a vintage AC-30 like Edge has or a simulated one. Hell, not even Edge always sound great if he's playing in a stadium with shite acoustics.

Muad'zin said:
The reason Edge loves vintage amps is not because they were made using lost secrets of the Ancients. While the specs of Vox amps have changed over time you find the specs to the same amps Edge uses and build them yourself. The real reason Edge likes vintage amps is because a well maintained amp (important caveat) ages like a fine wine, its sounds better with age. You can never hope to recreate that with a new amp, even if it were build to the exact same specs.

I'd respectfully disagree with the, "ages like a fine wine"

The issues in what is in the amp. The components used in new amps are lower quality and they have a huge effect on the tone.

I have a mid 70's AC30 and a late 90's re-issue that was moded back to JMI specs. The different in tone on the re-issue was HUGE.

The aging is true to a certain extent with guitars where the aging of the wood had a large tonal effect. Even there, the pups being used a big factor.
Play any new stock Gibson or Fender then load it up with Fralins or Shur pups and upgrade the cap and pots. It wont sound like the same guitar.

As for the original question..what is your budget? You can go cheap and get as Valvetronix that has usable sounds if you are willing to sit and dial it in. If you have more cash to blow, Top Hat make great amps. I had their AC30 version and it was fantastic.

Last edited:
My opinion is every amp has its own personality. Its like buying 3 pairs of the same sneakers. They are the same but each feels different. Im guessing you mean age like fine wine to be about the speakers. Its true they react different after years of pounding. I dont think thats the magic answer either. Best thing is to research what Edge uses Amp year,speakers, and use that as your starting point. All said and done it wont be exact having it built and it may not be worth it in the end. Parts today are different ect..so many variables. I believe the amp is only a part to the sound which is good so you have some lee way. I would start by trying all sorts of different amps and go from there. Its the same with buying a guitar. You may find one that works for you. Obviously I didnt help answer your question but I really dont think it can be answered directly. If it were me I would start with the Ac30cc and or a RI if it has to be VOX. If not try some class A tube amps with different wattage and speakers. Bring a guitar and a delay to get the best idea. Amp shopping is tough. Ive done alot of comparing with Vox amps and own quite a few :)

M

These clips clearly tell you a little about Edge's amps. Fact is, most of his amps are "original" on the outside, but contain several replacement parts.

I guess what I am trying to add (and I am in NO WAY AN EXPERT HERE) is that I agree with Mick that all amps are different, like a pair of shoes. They all look the same perhaps, however much like a guitar, they feel or sound different. Also the fact that even though Edge's amps are primarily vintage AC 30's, even those are not really "all original" yet constantly shaping and reshaping part of his sound.

I'd say go with Mick's idea. Grab a delay, and sit in front of every amp I could get my hands on until you feel comfortable with the end product. Once you're happy with the sound, THAT is the amp you should get. ;o)

As quoted by The Edge in the following clip:

"The handle's been changed twice, it's had a new head put on a couple of times, ... I dont know how much of that (amp) is still original, maybe just the grill. The rest has probably been replaced at one point or another."

(see minute mark 3:20)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ogrSq1I8Ecs

or for those who cant see the link:
youtube dot com slash watch?v=ogrSq1I8Ecs

As you see in the following clip, Dallas Schoo explains that there is someone that works on his temperamental amps full time. I'd imagine replacement parts are in abundance here too. ;o)

(see minute mark 1:08-1:26 ish)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RGHqoUOT_z4

or for those who cant see the link:
youtube dot com slash watch?v=RGHqoUOT_z4

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom