Amp settings - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Amp settings

I have a couple of sound issues with a few songs, im not sure what the whole bass, middle, treble, gain thing means!

basically my main problem is sunday bloody sunday, heres what im currently using - vol.3, gain.2, treb.3, middle.7, bass.2, reverb.5 - it sounds alrite but not like the actual thing, anybody know better settings?

also pride, wondering if I should do anything with the knobs on it , i just use the normal volume and flick that wee switch down (changes the tone or something) one notch and it sounds reasonably close

finally One, i just turn the tone down to 3 or 4 and thats it but it doesnt quite sound mellow enough, maybe a lower tone?

settings for i will follow, new years day, out of control, bad, party girl, desire and in Gods country would be useful to!

thanks!

bugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
Acrobat

Don't know if it will help you but you can find some of Edge's settings in here:
See lower for some Edge settings

http://www.terravista.pt/BaiaGatas/2620/edge.html

Joy to all

silenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
Acrobat

so basically the edge uses alot of effects!?!.. not sure i understand the whole delay thing though!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:34 PM   #4
Acrobat

does anyone know the settings edge used on his roland
jc-120 amp?
edgeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:52 PM
its not an Echoplex, it's an ElectroHarmonix Memory Man that Edge used in the early days. Edge does use the TC2990, but his main delay unit nowadays is the Korg SDD-3000. Korg makes the best delay ever, period. Even from the digital delay unit, the delay sounds like analog delay, so warm. Korg also amplifies the clean tones of a strat so well that it sounds damn good. Korg ABSOLUTELY ROCKS clean tones! i have a Korg G3 multi-effects processor, nothing special with Korg, but the clean tones are so great and the delay sounds unbelieveably good. best delay and clean tones that i have ever heard.

for more info on Edge and his equipment (i thing even information about his roland jc-120) check out:

www.u2sound.com

check out the forums too. that's a great site!
discothequeLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:54 AM   #6
The Fly

Re: Amp settings

Quote:
Originally posted by bugo
I have a couple of sound issues with a few songs, im not sure what the whole bass, middle, treble, gain thing means!

basically my main problem is sunday bloody sunday, heres what im currently using - vol.3, gain.2, treb.3, middle.7, bass.2, reverb.5 - it sounds alrite but not like the actual thing, anybody know better settings?

also pride, wondering if I should do anything with the knobs on it , i just use the normal volume and flick that wee switch down (changes the tone or something) one notch and it sounds reasonably close

finally One, i just turn the tone down to 3 or 4 and thats it but it doesnt quite sound mellow enough, maybe a lower tone?

settings for i will follow, new years day, out of control, bad, party girl, desire and in Gods country would be useful to!

thanks!
For One you should make sure that you're using some distortion (veryvery little)....and I always put bass a little higher for that one...it helps if you have volume and tone control on your guitar, also humbuckers will help you here....(I have 3 on my guitar)

I will follow is tricky, you need a VERY good distortion for that...the same goes for Out of control, but out of control can be played with a lot of distortions, I just give it some delay and some distortion...and than make sure you play the song kind of chaotic....Because edge does

Desire is a pretty clean sound, only you'll need a lot of trebble and little bass.....If you haven't got the right guitar, this one is gonna be tricky....Oh, and I use some reverb for the album version

For god's country I use delay (and I also use reverb)....again, make sure you have enough trebble, and litle bass....
Sorry, I don't know my delaysettings (in ms)...because my effectunit doesn't give um...there's just one knob, without numbers or anything

But you've got to remember that Edge is using very expensive stuff to get his sound right....since most of us aren't that rich most of the time "I nearly got that sound"is good enough!!!

Also if you wanna sound like edge, you've gotta play in a kind of nervous manner....never play the same riff over and over again, because Edge will change it all the time (even his timing)....and make sure to hit the string both up and down all the time..!!...

Hope that helps
mr mc sarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

for the distortions....

get an Ibanez TS-9 and/or a Boss SD-1

oh yeah and a Vox AC-30 Top Boost amp
Old 07-30-2004, 09:42 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by discothequeLP
for the distortions....

get an Ibanez TS-9 and/or a Boss SD-1

oh yeah and a Vox AC-30 Top Boost amp
Heh.

Seriously though, I have a Laney VC-30 amp (a AC-30 knockoff, as the name suggests) that I got used for $500 and it does the job for me. But really, I imagine that there are a bunch of tube amps that'll get you a reasonable Edge tone for much less than what the Vox costs.
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #9
Acrobat

does indeed i think i will follow works best using the bottom pickup and then SBS and UTEOTW use middle pick up (out of 5) and pride the 2nd 1 and stuff liek that and then fiddling round with the gain and volume to get the right distortion.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
Acrobat

oh sorry for the double post, im considering getting a multi fx box, what should i get to be able to play the edges stuff best?
Old 08-03-2004, 08:44 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

hmm, multi fx? try the korg a3