Alt. Tuning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I never wonder about alternative tunings, but after I get into Soundgarden, I start learning more of alt. tuning like drop D, open C tuning, and EEBBBE tuning. So, I wonder, what kind of alt. tuning that the Edge has used? I kind of want summery as all I've got is the snippet of info. And I still don't know which guitars are half-step flat, whole step down, or standard.

and I know Unforgettable Fire and Surrender are in weird open tuning, right? So most of U2's music is written in standard tuning either E or Eb.

and I know Unforgettable Fire and Surrender are in weird open tuning, right? So most of U2's music is written in standard tuning either E or Eb.

I always thought that Surrender was in a standard tuning. As he played it on the Black Strat on Under a Blood Red Sky. Since he used that guitar most of the time and you don't retune a Strat that easily I doubt that any alternate tuning was used for Surrender.

If you want some practice with open/alternate tunings, try out some CSNY. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes and Carry On are both in EBEEBE tuning, and are nowhere near as difficult to play as they sound.

Back
Top Bottom