Alnico Blues or Greenbacks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbelcik

Refugee
So I've settled on getting a Vox AC15 amp, but now I have to choose between speakers. I know Edge used the blues and that they're essential for the classic Vox chime sound but I've heard that they're a less versatile speaker than the greenback. I would be playing more than just U2, so I'm kind of wondering what speaker would be the best. Plus I can get a AC15 with greenbacks for $420 on Craigslist, whereas one with the blue speaker would be $800. Any advice for a newbie to tube amps?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

hi i have the AC15CC1x great amp blue speaker spot on for U2/Edge but if your playing
a mix other than U2 then greenbacks would be a good choice too.what about a used
AC15 with blue speaker? i find prices now pretty good in the used 2nd hand market
just an idea though. big difference from $800 new to $420 but the blue speaker does
makes a difference.

Last edited:
I am the weirdo who doesn't like Alnico speakers. I'm all about the ceramics.

I found the Alnicos to be brighter and had a tendency to become brittle. Maybe that's just me, though. I find my favorites to be Greenbacks and Creambacks. They're more full, organic, and round to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom