Advice regarding Edge's Tone (Beginner)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loco23

Babyface
Hey guys!
My current equipment is:
-Epiphone SG
-Crate 15 wat amp
-Effects on garageband

Anyways Ive been wanting to play U2 songs (properly) for a while but my guitar tone just wasn't made for that style of music and the amp quality is very poor. Any advice regarding what i should get?
Im deciding between either a Boss ME-70 or a M13 Line 6 (i prefer multi fx)
Thinking of getting a VOX AC15 Pathfinder (can't afford AC30)
and I know i will need a fender but not sure which one..

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prodcat/Electric_Guitars-Basses/brand/Fender/prices/0-1000.aspx

I'm not sure which guitar though..

Hi Loco23,

I firstly would warn you chasing Edge´s tone can get expensive, however there are ways of getting something close for a few hundred pounds.

Firstly I would advise you to get a Joyo AC Tone pedal (around £30) - this is a cheap copy of a Sansamp Liverpool pedal to model Edge´s AC30TB Amp tone.

Then for Joshua Tree type clean sounds you need a SSS Stratocaster - A Squier or MIMexico Strat will do or a Les Paul for the later Achtung Baby sounds (Edge has 40+ guitars on tour so you will find that you always need that other guitar (GAS). Then you need a digital delay with Modulation. The Line 6 HD500 or M13 does a nice delay (Or double delay) - or the boss DD-20 if you want a stand alone pedal.

Plug this into the Laptop and garageband and away you go chasing the impossible tonal uniqueness.

I have been studying Edge´s tone over the past year, and found a great repository of Edge lessons and tone advice search "U2GuitarTutorials" and hopefully you will get some good advices there.

Good luck

I'd say go with the Line 6 M13 or Line 6 HD 500. Both will give you a lot of options for Edge-Tones.

M13:
Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler | Sweetwater.com

HD500:
Line 6 POD HD500 | Sweetwater.com

Both are $499. Both can be found for less on the second-hand market (e-Bay, Craigslist, etc).

Epiphone SG could cover some of the Les Paul, SG and Explorer tones but a Stratocaster would be a good second guitar - money permitting.

Crate amp? Might want to sell that. Something from the Vox family is recommended.

Vox Pathfinder is around $100-$120
Vox Pathfinder V9168R 15w 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp | Musician's Friend

Vox AC4 are $250 range. These are pretty cool as they have the power scaling, so you can get good overdrive tones but at 'bedroom' levels that won't get you yelled at or thrown out of your house or apt.

Vox AC4TV | Sweetwater.com

Vox AC15 Custom are $599

Vox AC15 Custom (Standard Version) | Sweetwater.com

Hey guys!
My current equipment is:
-Epiphone SG
-Crate 15 wat amp
-Effects on garageband

Anyways Ive been wanting to play U2 songs (properly) for a while but my guitar tone just wasn't made for that style of music and the amp quality is very poor. Any advice regarding what i should get?
Im deciding between either a Boss ME-70 or a M13 Line 6 (i prefer multi fx)
Thinking of getting a VOX AC15 Pathfinder (can't afford AC30)
and I know i will need a fender but not sure which one..

Fender Guitars | Stratocaster | Telecaster - Allans Music + Billy Hyde Online

I'm not sure which guitar though..

Keep your SG. It may be able to do some LP or Explorer sounds. And besides, if you like it, keep it.

TheEdge10 said:
Keep your SG. It may be able to do some LP or Explorer sounds. And besides, if you like it, keep it.

Nah I love my SG it was my first actual guitar that I owned properly, but it fails a lil bit when it comes to soft rock or some alternative stuff

As a beginner, I wouldn't try too hard to match his sound that much.

I would make the suggestion to up the wattage on your amp. clean tones for edge are generated through amps, distortion really anything works once you play around with it. And delays are pretty simple; get the timing right and can the number of repeats low.

I still use a Line 6 M13 sometimes. Bit pricey, but there is a lot on there to help get Edge like sounds.

AC4, Strat or Tele with noiseless pickups, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, and a mild overdrive (DMB Stellar Drive would be good).

I mentioned a few things a while back but I will add this:

For beginning? A decent guitar, delay w/modulation and a decent amp. This set-up will allow you to play a lot of the first three albums. I always recommend that to those who want to learn U2 tunes.

Why? A few reasons but first and foremost, Edge used LESS gear and it will be easier to dial in tones.

Guitar-wise, much of the first 3 albums were done on the Explorer. The Stratocaster seems to have been used more and more starting with October.

As a starting guitar, I don't recommend a Telecaster. Edge hasn't used them on many things; certainly not live. And other than their 2005 cover of "Instant Karma" (played on the Lake Placid Blue `66 Tele), it's pretty much been "The Unforgettable Fire" (which isn't tuned to standard), "Vertigo" and "Get On Your Boots".

Will the Tele work on Strat tunes? Sure but you might find the tone to be a bit thin, compared to the Strat - and really thin compared to the Explorer songs.

Early stuff, a lot of the overdrive came from manipulating the volume knob on the guitar. The mistake I see many make is to turn the volume and tone controls all the way up. Mistake - it doesn't leave you with a lot of tonal options either.

If you put your amp volume where it will be clean or close to clean when the guitar volume is at 6, it will overdrive more and more as you bring the guitar volume up.

Delay. There are a lot of decent delays out there. What to get depends on your budget. I have heard some talk about the Memory Boy. I think that there are better options. But try one and let your ears be the judge. Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man will get you right in that Boy thru War era delay tone. Set the modulation to 'vibrato' and not 'chorus' (a common mistake).

If you feel the need to have an overdrive, a Boss SD-1 or Boss OD-2 are great pedals. The SD-1 is similar to an Ibanez Tubescreamer (another great choice).

Amp-wise - it depends on your audience, as it were. If you are learning and playing at home and can't turn the amp up... a AC4 would be great. Why? It has the power-scaling, so you can get the tone and overdrive from the amp but at 'bedroom-volumes'.

Vox AC30 or AC15 are also good choices. And for $500-ish, Fender Blues Jr's are money well spent. I recommend any of the Blues Junior III Limited Editions, versus the standard black tolex models. The Limited Editions, depending on which one, have different (upgraded) speakers and other components.

With these basic, taking some time to play and experiment with volume and tone settings on the amp and guitar, and learning your gear will serve you well.

Just my thought on the subject.

I'm a relative guitar beginner (only been playing 3 years on and off). I splurged and bought a used Deluxe Strat, which I love. As far as amps go, I bought a VOX VT-40+ which is a hybrid digital/tube amp that 'models' the sound of various amps including the AC30. It has a bunch of presets built in so its really flexible in calling up vastly different sounds. Initially I thought it might be a bit of a gimmick but I love it. Purists would say get a pure tube amp for 'warmth' but I like the flexibility of a modeling amp when I want to play stuff other than U2.

I would highly recommend a delay pedal that allows you to store presets- I use the TC Electronics Nova delay. That way you can quickly call up a song without spending 2-3 minutes messing around with settings.

Finally, get Herdim picks. When you flip them upside down and play with the 'bumpy' side, holy cow. Its probably done more to make me sound "Edgy" than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom