Adam's new bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galeongirl

Galeonbroad
I've been horribly out of the loop on the gear updates this tour, didn't notice much new stuff until WOWY came and I saw THIS bass. It's almost like the Explorer! Definitely not the Warwick Reverso, as the knobs are on both sides rather than just one, but it does look like a Warwick to me. I cannot figure out what it is. Does anyone know?

Visible from 1.12 onwards here.

I remember it was Warwick Stryker, I believe. it's used because the tuning is different from the rest of his guitar. I think he's been using that guit. since the beginning of the tour on WOWY

Thanks mate! I knew it looked similar but I couldn't place it! That's the same model as the gold on he used on Mysterious Ways last tour isn't it? It's absolutely beautiful. Sigh, if only I was made of cash. :lol:

Thanks mate! I knew it looked similar but I couldn't place it! That's the same model as the gold on he used on Mysterious Ways last tour isn't it? It's absolutely beautiful. Sigh, if only I was made of cash. :lol:

I think the ones (gold ones and red ones) are his sig. Reverso model that he used to have; he has new sig Warwick bass (and Fender bass) so I don't think he'll use those anymore.

I though he started with the Stryker first last tour, then it turned into the Reverso that became his signature. :hmm: Or am I confusing things?

Still a shame he never uses the Reverso natural finish anymore, that thing looked so cool!

When did he get a signature FEnder? :ohmy: I've REALLY been out of the loop apparently!

Wait did he use Stryker? i think i don't know too much Adam, apparently (hey, I like Edge more, sorry).

Yes, he's got his sig. Jazz bass from Fender. I think you can google it about the spec and color and all that.

Ok...here is a very quick summary of what happened.

Adam always liked Fender Basses, both Precision and Jazz basses.
With very rare exceptions he didn't use anything else live until the Elevation tour.

The reason behind this is very simple:
The studio got flooded and most of his vintage Fender gear was destroyed.
Because there was no time to shop for vintage gear he switched to Lakland basses.
The models he used have been "copies" of 60s Fender Precision and Jazz basses. I still think that these basses were one of the best he ever had and I personally think that new Lakland basses definately sound more similiar to vintage Fender gear than current Fender basses do :)

After the Elevation tour he had time to shop for vintage Fender gear again, which he used for the Vertigo tour.

Then suddenly he enjoyed to experiment a bit more in the studio on the NLOTH sessions and he especially seemed to like the Warwick Stryker.

He approached Warwick and they offered him a custom model.
He wanted to have a Fender copy, but Warwick denied that saying that if he wanted that, he should talk to Fender and they can do better.

As he was liking the Warwick Stryker so much, he wanted to keep that shape, but reverse it. The result of this was the first Adam Clayton signature bass called "Reverso" (still sounding exactly like a Fender precision but with 3 times the cost :)).

He used several models of this bass with all kind of variations during the 360 tour, together with some Fender vintage basses and some Gibson basses.
But the star of this tour was still a golden, sparkle Fender precision bass (that later got a purple brother).

And suddenly Fender decided to make an Adam Clayton Signature Precision Bass in gold sparkle.
This was a limited edition and has been discontinued.

Suddenly Warwick came and gave Adam some custom made "Streamer CV" models in gold (because he likes shiney stuff). He seemed to like that basses very much and even used them on SOI and a bunch of promo TV shows.

Out of nowhere suddenly came Fender again and wanted to do another Signature Bass. This time it was a Jazz Bass. So we got the Adam Clayton Signature Jazz Bass in Sherwould Green that he also used on the album and is using currently as one of his main basses on the I&E tour.

But as 3 signature basses was just not enough he approached Warwick again. He had changed his mind about his own Warwick signature "Reverso" and wanted something more handy to jump around on stage.
So the "Reverso" was discontinued and the new shiney, white/black Adam Clayton Signature Streamer was born, which was based on the golden models he liked so much. This is his second main bass he uses now on the I&E tour.

So he completely dropped the signature precision and the signature Reverso. They have not been used for a single song during this tour.

For whatever reason he got back to a Warwick Stryker for WOWY.
But other than that it is the 2 new signature models he uses for the whole show now.

So to sum it up there are a bunch of signature models that you can/could buy:

Warwick Adam Clayton Reverso Custom Shop (discontinued)
color: nature
price: $ 6000+

Warwick Adam Clayton Reverso Artist series (discontinued)
color: gold / sunburst
price: started at $1800, went down to $800 in the end

Fender Adam Clayton Precision Bass Custom Model (discontinued)
color: gold sparkle
price: $ 3500+

Fender Adam Clayton Jazz Bass Artist series
color: sherwood green
price: $ 1800+

Warwick Adam Clayton Streamer CV Custom Model
color: white / black
price: $ 3500+

Warwick Adam Clayton Streamer CV Artist series
color: white / black
price: $ 850+

Last edited:
Hello, bass people! I just started getting into bass guitar, so I'm very pleased to find a thread of bass people, even though I don't have much to contribute to the conversation that hasn't already been said. I just wanted to be in there somewhere. :D :wave:

I think Warwick has said that they're going to release a Rockbass version of the newest Streamer, which really doesn't make it much cheaper, but it helps a little. If only Fender would make an Adam Clayton Squier... :lol:

Hello, bass people! I just started getting into bass guitar, so I'm very pleased to find a thread of bass people, even though I don't have much to contribute to the conversation that hasn't already been said. I just wanted to be in there somewhere. :D :wave:

I think Warwick has said that they're going to release a Rockbass version of the newest Streamer, which really doesn't make it much cheaper, but it helps a little. If only Fender would make an Adam Clayton Squier... :lol:

They have made a Clayton signature RockBass Streamer. I got mine bass in May. Lovely instrument.

I also recommend the gold finish RockBass StarBass II. (RockBass version of the custom shop semi-hollow Star Bass II Adam played on "...Boots" during the last bit of 360.

Both the RockBass Clayton and StarBass II run about $899-999 depending where you buy.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

So Adam has sig. bass, Bono has sig guitars, Edge is (possibly) having his sig guitars (not confirmed, merely a speculation)....man, things changed.

Man, the StarBass is just beautiful! Does it sound as good as it looks?

I've read posts by a few people who seem to be kind of down on Edge for (possibly) making a signature guitar. I don't really understand. Why is that a bad thing? I guess I get the whole "we'll never sell out to corporate sponsors" thing, but making a musical instrument that might inspire new musicians (like me) isn't quite the same thing as putting his face on a bottle of Coke. (Although if they did, I must confess, it'd be mine. :lol: )

I think having a signature instrument makes sense if you have a signature sound or style. You design something, in collaboration with whatever company, that has not been available so far and create something new that enables you as a musician or performer to be unique (could be sound, looks,...).

In my opinion it would have made great sense to do an Adam Clayton signature Fender Precision Bass, based on an 60s bass with a Jazz neck. Because that is what he used to do with his Precision way back then and used for many, many years.

So the gold sparkle Precision was pretty cool.
It had a sound he was known for and had something unique (gold sparkle color) that fit him as a performer (posh bass player).

Suddenly having 4 different signature models, in my opinion, contradicts the general idea of what a signature model should be.
And dropping 2 of his own signature models after a short period of time is even worse :)

Now in regards to Egde, I think a signature model absolutely makes NO sense. He defines himself through different sounds and styles. So out of all the different guitars he used so far, what would be the signature model?
The strat, the explorer,...?

So I guess if you just do a signature model so the company can put a sticker on it and sell it for double the price, it leaves a bad taste in some customers mouths. And the possibilty is there when Edge does a signature model.

The Precision/jazz hybrid was indeed a great move for Adam. It was a sort of custom made bass, and it looked and sounded brilliant. I love the purple sparkle colour most though. :D If I had the money, I'd definitely go for one of those, but for now my blue Squier P will do.

Personally I would say Edge's signature guitar is the Explorer. Simply because it was his first guitar and is most associated with him.

Here's photo evidence of Edge's (possible) signature strat. His signature is on the headstock

Last edited:
Man, the StarBass is just beautiful! Does it sound as good as it looks?

I've read posts by a few people who seem to be kind of down on Edge for (possibly) making a signature guitar. I don't really understand. Why is that a bad thing? I guess I get the whole "we'll never sell out to corporate sponsors" thing, but making a musical instrument that might inspire new musicians (like me) isn't quite the same thing as putting his face on a bottle of Coke. (Although if they did, I must confess, it'd be mine. :lol: )

StarBass sounds and looks great.

...and my RockBass Clayton signature looks and sounds great too!

I got them both via REVERB.com

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
I know that, but just saying it should be the Explorer. That's the one guitar U2 fans think of when thinking of Edge.

But Edge isn't a member of the Gibson Board Of Directors. And Dallas already had a great working relationship with the Fender and Gretsch Custom shops, hence Bono's Tele, Adam's P and Jazz bass and now - and Edge Strat.

Just making sure, did that source mention about colors and specs and all? and prices?

Finalized version was not set, when that conversation took place. The one thing definite is that it is happening. Specs, price and release date are pending.

I'd suspect that Winter NAMM (Jan 2016) is a probable release date - Or at least the date of official announcement.

Every time sig. model is not so different from normal standard guitars, I really hate it. When I saw Lzzy Hale Explorer came out, I was so disappointed because there was nothing different from regular explorer, spec-wise. It had classic 57 and standard control. Can't they just put some sort of more special pups (like SD, Lollar or whatever makes them different) and make it more "customized"?

I'm fearing that Edge's strat is just standard 70s strat with nothing special

Back
Top Bottom