Adam's current amp setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Less important?

I don't think less amps means less important or decreased quality.

One amp for stage volume. One or more underneath + direct bass sound.

His bass sound has been great at he show I attended.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i didnt like the sound of the bass in "40" during some gigs. the las 40 played is the unique that i liked

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

I really dont see that much difference; differences are made probably because of Adam's hange in basses. Im sure those vintage Gibson basses will sound diffrent from new Warwick ones

I really dont see that much difference; differences are made probably because of Adam's hange in basses. Im sure those vintage Gibson basses will sound diffrent from new Warwick ones

I don't know what you mean there. The vintage Gibson were barely used on 360.

The white Triumph bass was used only for 'One'. The gold Les Paul Signature was only used for 'Mysterious Ways' and the RD Artist was only used for 'Magnificent', and even that was set aside by the 0 shows when it w2as replaced by the candy apple red Warwick Stryker.

Other than that, the Fender Jazz, Precision and Warwicks were used far more.

The Warwicks being used now, have the same pickups as the finalized version of the Reverso. So the Reverso's and the new signature having the same passive Duncan's probably sound similar.

As for the comment about '40', Edge plays '40' and not Adam. In that, he seem to have put a bit more 'dirt' on that tone. Sounds more like a personal choice of his to add some effects and not due to some amp choice or that he or Adam caring less about quality of the gear or tones. Just Edge being Edge and experimenting with tones, as he's known to do.

Right, I kinda forgot about that, my point was that his gear is vastly different between tours -at least for this IE tour he's got no Reversos (lol), no his sig p-basses, no Gibsons.

Right, I kinda forgot about that, my point was that his gear is vastly different between tours -at least for this IE tour he's got no Reversos (lol), no his sig p-basses, no Gibsons.

Yes, I totally agree.

Adam's gear changes a lot over the course of a number of years, one tour he will use one thing, the next tour he will usually use something else.

For example,

On Popmart his main bass was that Auerswald yellow bass, with SWR cabinets.

For Elevation, he used that sunburst Jazz bass a lot, with a few Laklands here and there, with Ashdown amps.

For Vertigo, the Sherwood Green and Shoreline Gold Jazz basses, with a few Laklands also.

On 360, he had huge numbers of Reversos, various other Warwicks, the Gibsons (RD, Triumph etc), the Purple sparkle precision, the gold sparkle precision and random basses that just appeared over time or for only some parts of the tour (example: the red Jazz bass, the white precision with the tortoise shell pickguard ) and then after years of Ashdown, he switches to Aguilar.

Now on the I And E Tour,only a few white Warwicks, a signature Jazz bass that rocks and a cool Stryker, with a small Ampeg amp are being used.

It is hard to know when Adam switched to Ampeg, as in the video for the making of 'Invisible', he had Aguilar amps. But in the video for U2's cover of the Aslan song 'This Is', he had Ampeg amps.

That is only since 1997, and in that time, Adam has gone through a HUGE amount of gear.

Even though the new Warwicks and the signature Jazz basses rock, I would love to see some Reversos (especially the red and gold ones) and the purple and gold sparkle Precisions and the Gibson basses out on the I And E Tour.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Last edited:
I remember there was underground pix fro Adam on U2's instagram, and hes got sans-amp in a rack (i mean rackmount version) plus couple of pedals, and I feel like hes got more effects in the past compared to ones from this tour

Yes, I totally agree.

Adam's gear changes a lot over the course of a number of years, one tour he will use one thing, the next tour he will usually use something else.

For example,

On Popmart his main bass was that Auerswald yellow bass, with SWR cabinets.

For Elevation, he used that sunburst Jazz bass a lot, with a few Laklands here and there, with Ashdown amps.

For Vertigo, the Sherwood Green and Shoreline Gold Jazz basses, with a few Laklands also.

On 360, he had huge numbers of Reversos, various other Warwicks, the Gibsons (RD, Triumph etc), the Purple sparkle precision, the gold sparkle precision and random basses that just appeared over time or for only some parts of the tour (example: the red Jazz bass, the white precision with the tortoise shell pickguard ) and then after years of Ashdown, he switches to Aguilar.

Now on the I And E Tour,only a few white Warwicks, a signature Jazz bass that rocks and a cool Stryker, with a small Ampeg amp are being used.

It is hard to know when Adam switched to Ampeg, as in the video for the making of 'Invisible', he had Aguilar amps. But in the video for U2's cover of the Aslan song 'This Is', he had Ampeg amps.

That is only since 1997, and in that time, Adam has gone through a HUGE amount of gear.

Even though the new Warwicks and the signature Jazz basses rock, I would love to see some Reversos (especially the red and gold ones) and the purple and gold sparkle Precisions and the Gibson basses out on the I And E Tour.

Why no Reverso's. Couple of reasons.

One being that Adam wanted something that he could jump around a bit more with. Dallas told me this when we last spoke. This is why they went with a Streamer CV signature bass vs the Reverso.

In some ways, Adam like more traditional setups. The majority of his bass playing has been with Precision and Jazz bass guitars.

The Lakland bass guitars that he used were essentially copies of used Precision and Jazz bass guitars.

When they first approached Warwick, they were looking for similar. Warwick said they weren't interested in making Precision and Jazz bass copies/style guitars, so that is when Adam experimented with various Streamer, Stryker and Buzzard models -- later leading to a gold sparkle Streamer and the various Reverso.

Again, the Gibson mentioned in earlier posts have not seen much stage time. They have seen a good amount of studio time.

But for live use, since the UF tour, it's been mostly Precision and Jazz bass style guitars.

So the Warwick and Fender signature models being used on the I&E tour do follow what he's mostly used since 1984.

I've said it before, any involvement or endorsement by Adam with a music product is like a celebrity marriage. It just never lasts. Something new and shiny comes along its divorce time and on to the next.

It must suck being a tribute Adam. Whereas Edge stays relatively loyal to his amps, gear and guitars, you basically have to go for a whole new rig come each new U2 album and tour.

I've said it before, any involvement or endorsement by Adam with a music product is like a celebrity marriage. It just never lasts. Something new and shiny comes along its divorce time and on to the next.

It must suck being a tribute Adam. Whereas Edge stays relatively loyal to his amps, gear and guitars, you basically have to go for a whole new rig come each new U2 album and tour.

Most Tribute Adam's I've seen can and do a great job with just a Jazz or Precision... one of each. They can get the look and the sound.

But for those with a little cash, I've seen a few go all out.

When I worked for Joshua Tree (Los Angeles), the "Adam" that they had then had P and Jazz basses. He has a great Lakland too. I still think that Lakland is one of his best sounding bass guitars.

He had a luthier make a copy of the Popmart Auerswald bass

This is the bass, in the video below:

https://youtu.be/R34FosVEaBg

That said, once Adam began with the Reverso, Scott bought the first one that was available in the US. He was the first to have one after Adam.

In 2011 when Adam got a candy apple red Reverso made... so did Scott.

He had one of his P-Basses' refinished in lilac sparkle, like Adam's 360 Precision.

Scott had the identical Ashdown setup. Later came Aguilar.

So yeah, the average Tribute Adam can't afford to do it. But it was fun to to work with someone fortunate enough to have the means to replicate as much as possible.

Is Popmart bass similar to typical Fender basses with passive PUs? Or do they have special specs?

I have an article about it somewhere. I will have to dig it up when I get back in town.

But if I'm remembering correctly, they are passive pickups. The covers are handmade from some sort of wood.

If you look at the video I previously posted, Scott's had Lindy Fralin Precision-style pickup and a Lindy Fralin Jazz-style under the hand-made pickups.

I don't think Adam had Fralins. But it's possible that they were Seymour Duncan's.

Again, I'll have to dig up the article.

As a rule, Adam prefers passive pickups.

Even his Reverso's has passive Duncan's in them. (Seymour Duncan SPB-3)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom