adams basses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

* MoFo *

Acrobat
any1 here have basses similiar to any of adams, or want to aspire to get such basses?

i love adams 72 precision hes had for ages - it used to be a 3 tone sunburst but now its almost gone down to wood! :ohmy: :uP:

I?ve tried to play a precision, but my fingers are quite small so a precision is hard for me to play.

I know that Adam has put a jazz neck on one of his precisions - now that?s something I?d like to try. But I guess I don?t have the money to do something like this.

what do you play? I have an Ibanez and a thing called gmx. I?ve never seen any other bass of this brand. It was really cheap, but there is something special about this instrument I really like. The sound is quite special. Maybe a lucky buy of a normally crap bass...

i got a peavey milestone 3 jazz + a beatles-style viola. i want 1 of the new fender deluxes

Attachments

• fender.gif
    fender.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 29
Thank god- welcome back my fellow bassists!!!

Although I'm a loyal Fender guy I do have to say that Adams new Lakland bass kicks butt. I was up in New York City a month or so back and played one- it kicked ass.
I also got to play and Ashdown head- and it was the BEST! I think I actually made an old lady who was christmas shopping in the music store sh!t her pants!

Last edited:
Let's just say Fender P basses are just straight up hard to play.They are hard on the left hand,especially when you play a bass demanding song.The jazz basses are awesome.The fret board is more ladylike and easier to handle.It's easy for me to play and better because i play with a HUGE 1987 Yamaha BB5000 5 string bass.Now that's a heavy insterment and the fret board has 3 extra frets on it,so it's alot longer and a bit wider then a standered bass.I've gotten used to playing it.I recently restrung it with DR strings and hoping to get a Ampeg amp and head,And maybe some effects also...I can't imagine playing any other insterment then a good ole' bass guitar.No one seems to even want to be one.I am..are you? PEACE!

I have a number of basses but the ones I use in my U2 trib (Elevation Canada) are a pair of Tokais, one a white Jazz and one a s/b '57 style P-bass. (I ocassionally use a tobacco s/b Fender Jazz too but not often, only if we're travelling by air, I don't mind too much if it takes a beating!) Both are pretty much identical copies of the original Fender instruments, so they look the part and IMO play rather better than anything presently on offer from Fender at their respective price points (around $500, and in fact I would say the P-bass would compare well to almost anything made by Fender, it needed a couple of minor electrical repairs when I bought it and the tech could not believe how good the bass was or how similar to the Fender it was). The P-bass neck is wider than the Jazz, esp. at the nut, but unless you have very small hands it is perfectly manageable in my opinion. I tend to use the P bass for the earlier stuff as a rule since it has a more bassy sound to it whereas the Jazz has a nice clear top end and so I feel is more suited to later material but either will do the job really. If I had to choose only one I'd take the P-bass (just). For amplification I use an Ashdown 300W ABM head with an Ampeg 4 ohm 4 x 10" cab (I was going to buy an identical Ashdown cab too but the Ampeg just sounded better to me, better bass extension). I bought the Ashdown head almost a year before I joined the band by the way, my purchase had nothing to do with Adam using one and everything to do with the fact that it was the best sounding head I tried (I also tried Ampeg, Trace, Aguilar, etc. etc. ). I don't use effects except for the sub harmoniser built in to the head, by and large effects just mess with the sound. This isn't a plug for my band but anyone who's interested can have a look at my basses and amp (I think it's visible in one or two shots) at http://www.u2tributeband.com/photo.html ... thanks.

Mick

Back
Top Bottom