Adam Clayton Bass...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwc333

The Fly
Will there ever be an Adam Clayton signature?? Has anyone ever heard ANYTHING AT ALL about the chance of one being made eventually? I mean, he is one of the more famous bass players.

Sadly I think there'd be a backlash if he got one. Mike Dirnt (Green Day) and Mark Hoppus (Blink 182) have sig basses, but at one bassist's forum I read at, they get a lot of flack for having one.

Though, a lot of his basses are customised as he puts Jazz necks on all his Precision basses.

Still though...he's been around alot longer than Dirnt and Hoppus and U2 is bigger than both of those bands. Oh and what's the difference between a Precision neck and a Jazz neck?

nwc333 said:
Still though...he's been around alot longer than Dirnt and Hoppus and U2 is bigger than both of those bands. Oh and what's the difference between a Precision neck and a Jazz neck?

The Jazz neck is a bit thinner towards the top, (where the tuning knobs are).

Hehehe I like Adam's answer ;)

BP: Are you still playing your '72 Precision?

AC: I am. It's got a bit less varnish than it once had, but it's still around. I see photographs of it from different tours, and I can see the varnish gradually wearing off. It's a really light instrument, which is fantastic, because it's got this nice brightness without losing any bottom end. I'm always changing something on it, but it's still pretty much the same instrument I've always played. I did put a Jazz neck on it very early on; I find the Jazz neck suits my left hand better. The Precision is a painful, physical thing to do battle with. The Jazz is a bit more ladylike."

yeah he cut a chunk out of it and said that it didnt sound good after that.....too bad cause that was my favorite bass of his...

The yellow Auerswald bass used during Popmart was/is an "A. Clayton Custom" but it is not commercially available.

Adam has at least one fretted and one fretless (if not more) of these.

There fretless was in the R&R Hall Of Fame special U2 exhibit back in 2003-2004 before U2 were inducted. Might be in the 'official' U2 display at the R&R Hall now - I'm not certain.

Oh dang I'd love to see that PopMart bass in person! I should make a trip there just to see the U2 and R.E.M. exhibits.

As for Adam being a well known bass player, yes he is, but I dont think he has a very good reputation among bass players. Many I know (and i am a bass player myself, however I am an Adam fan) criticize him for having too simple of a playing style. This is partially true so that's why there could be a lower demand for a sig Clayton bass as much as us here on this forum would want one.

As for Adam being a well known bass player, yes he is, but I dont think he has a very good reputation among bass players. Many I know (and i am a bass player myself, however I am an Adam fan) criticize him for having too simple of a playing style.

Bass players and drummers are the worst type of musicians (I'm a 100% bass player.) I really hate bass players that go into solos or drummers who do the same (I call them generally all "drum-bags"...I've played with so many shitty drummers that just wanted to bang those bags like crazy.)

Adam has invented some of the most minimalist, awe inspiring bass lines out of just a few notes. That to me is talent. No need to spot light, but actually the bass line becomes to core to so many of U2's best songs.

Laid back, proficient, and no desire to take the lime light....that is Adam.

It is nice to read positive things about Adam as a bass player. I frequent the talkbass forum, and there's a good balance of opinions, not overly negative, people who think he's an excellent bass player, and some who think he's not good at all. Actually over at this site, there is an unofficial "Adam Clayton" Lakland bass neck. A tapered neck with blocks and no binding is called the "Adam Clayton" neck.

Adam was my inspiration to learn bass. I have been playing piano off and on for about 8 years, but it was definitely Adam who inspired me to take up bass. My mom had an acoustic guitar I used to always try to play when I was a kid. She actually sorta discouraged me from learning an instrument as she would often get mad at us for even touching her guitar. Oddly enough, when I did play it, when she was gone, I was frequently playing the 2 lowest pitched strings on it. My favourite thing to do as a kid was tp put my ear against the guitar then pluck the lowest string, and let the sound ring till the sound stopped.

I did get in contact with Adam's bass teacher and author of the Bass for Dummies book.

"Hi ----,

I just got your message. Thanks for writing, and thanks for the nice words about my book! The answer is: ABSOLUTELY be inspired by Adam's bass playing. Most people don't realize how good he is, but I'm telling you that his skill is "deep" in the music rather than flashy on top. He's a great bass player and a great cat, truly a gem. So, on every level, he's an inspiration! Be well, and all the bass to you!
Peace,
Patrick"

Really nice guy! He sometimes posts on a forum called activebass, that's how I found him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom