acoustic or electric?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrush

War Child
hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.
I have been wanting to pick up the guitar for an enternity now and i am now able to financially. So.....is it better to learn on an acoustic or electric. I would think acoustic because i will be less distracted and keep it simple. How much is a "good" acoustic guitar? What kind is good?

Please Help!

come on...come on...........come on..................comeon...............come on..............come ...on
Please

i want to eventually have both but i think your right i will start with an acoustic. I know gibson is what all my friends said for electric but does it matter for acoustic? how much should i spend on an acoustic guitar?

I started playing a couple of years ago on acoustics and I'd recommend it to anyone starting out. It's more practical and you'll devlop more muscle tone on your fretting hand.

The two basic choices for acoustic guitars are solid-top or laminated. A laminated top is cheaper and requires less care because it's made out of plywood while a solid-top uses a solid (usually spruce) wood which will sound better as it ages. If your not sure if you'll stick to it, get a laminated top guitar. A Jasmine by Takamine will probably be all you'd need and it would only run you about $100-150.

A good solid-top guitar will generally cost between $350-600 and should include a hard case with it (you'll want a hard case for protection if you get a solid top). Check out a Seagull, Norman or Simon & Patrick. They are all made by the same Canadian company, Godin Guitars and represent an excellent value in a entry-level acoustic guitar. Better still, they usually only deal with smaller dealer who will set it up and service better than high-volume chain retailers.

Here's the website, see if there's a dealer near you and take a friend who plays with you if you can. Good luck and have fun.

http://www.lasido.com/

I would go acoustic to start out.
You can play it all day and not annoy your family/friends/neighbors too bad.

Plus I think it really helps with fingering the chords, as most acoustics have the thicker necks and often have thicker strings.

I am no expert, but I basically had both to start out, including a bass.For some reason, as I sat there and watched the news or some boring show, or just passed the time here and there, it was so easy to just pick it up and play it. As with an electric, sometimes you are constricted by the noise it makes.

It's just one consideration of many. Then again, nothing, absolutely nothing can repalce plugging into an amp and ripping off some good old fashioned noise.

bought a guitar a bit ago. a gibson acoustic J45. i like it alot.
i still cant play it worth a damn but at least i look good.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom