acoustic for 'the fly'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richclarkson

The Fly
I was just looking at some pics from the 2nd San Jose show and it looks like Edge was using an acoustic for 'The Fly', is this right cos it struck me as a bit odd!

Rich

He's using the Line 6 Variax 700. I don't know whether the technical classification is acoustic or electric.

if he is using acoustic, he's a genius for getting that funky groove down !11

:rockon: :rockon:

I guess I should have mentioned in case you haven't played a Line 6 Variax 700, that it plays/feels like an acoustic. I always thought they were kinda dumb, but after seeing Edge use one on like 4 songs from Vertigo, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Played one at Guitar Center for about 20 minutes. Pretty incredible sounds that's for sure. Acoustic or not Edge get's some great sounds out of that thing. It just makes it quite a bit more impressive knowing that Edge is doing all that soloing with acoustic strings and action.

OffAxis said:
I guess I should have mentioned in case you haven't played a Line 6 Variax 700, that it plays/feels like an acoustic. I always thought they were kinda dumb, but after seeing Edge use one on like 4 songs from Vertigo, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Played one at Guitar Center for about 20 minutes. Pretty incredible sounds that's for sure. Acoustic or not Edge get's some great sounds out of that thing. It just makes it quite a bit more impressive knowing that Edge is doing all that soloing with acoustic strings and action.

It is impressive. The Fly is one of the harder U2 songs to play. He probably uses ultra light gauge strings.

But for LAPOE it makes sense to use acoustic because of the heavy slide playing.

Back
Top Bottom