ABOY: Is Bono going to play chords on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GG_The_Fly

The Fly
For All Because of You:

Is there any chance that Bono is going to play the chords for the song on the next tour? If not, how do you think they'll play this live?

I was wondering that same thing. This song is pretty rockin' so I doubt Bono will want to be stuck behind a guitar but rather running around getting the crowd pumped (which I actually prefer). In the short clip that I saw of the TOTP rehearsal, Bono does not have a guitar for ABOY but he does for COBL. I would imagine they would do it the same way as the TOTP performance. (side question: Does Edge play that ringing start of COBL on the guitar??)

They might work out a way so that they can do without the additional chords. Although, I could see Edge using all of his toes once again for a lot of these songs!

I reckon Bono will play quite a few of the new songs. Lots of single guitar lead lines over acoustic backing.

whitehead said:
I was wondering that same thing. This song is pretty rockin' so I doubt Bono will want to be stuck behind a guitar but rather running around getting the crowd pumped (which I actually prefer). In the short clip that I saw of the TOTP rehearsal, Bono does not have a guitar for ABOY but he does for COBL. I would imagine they would do it the same way as the TOTP performance. (side question: Does Edge play that ringing start of COBL on the guitar??)

They might work out a way so that they can do without the additional chords. Although, I could see Edge using all of his toes once again for a lot of these songs!

I don't know if the B-man can play the chords for that song and sing at the same time. . . i don't know if he has it in him. . .

The thing about the TOPS performance is that only his lyrics were live (the music was not) as far as i know. . . those chords are integral to the speed of that song, they have to be played for that song to work. . .Dallas Schoo playing chords anyone?

GG_The_Fly said:

The thing about the TOPS performance is that only his lyrics were live (the music was not) as far as i know. . .

Hey :)
I was there and from what I could tell it was only Vertigo that was a backing track. The rest has some extra bits playing in the background here and there but everythign that could be live was, I believe :)

gabrielvox said:
From what we've seen in New York on Monday...probably not?

Yeah, I agree.

I was surprised at this as the live versions (radio one) clearly have backing guitar and Bono wasn't playing guitar on that either apparently...

I don't mind U2 using backing tracks for keyboards, strings etc...it is part of their music... BUT it will bother me if they start sequencing guitar parts that Bono could play live...I guess they already use some pre-recorded guitar in BTBS but that is minor compared to having a pre-recorded guitar throughout the entire song...there is a fine line between using technology to aid a live performance and using technology so much that it takes away from a live performance...they haven't crossed this line yet IMO and I hope they don't with this tour...

Bono didn't play guitar on COBL either and I think that song requires two guitars...

I guess we will see what happens. I generally prefer U2's live versions to the studio (with a couple of exceptions) so I am hoping this holds true for the new tunes. Vertigo and SYCMIOYO were done very well on SNL.

The short clip of OOTS I saw had Edge on Piano and Bono on guitar - I am curious what they will do for the chorus with the really cool Edge type arpeggios - if Edge is behind a piano will they leave it out or use a pre-recorded track?? Does anyone have full mp3s or video of the Brooklyn show or can anyone direct me to these? I have only seen short clips.

Cheers,

Brady

it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so obvious that there are pre-recorded tracks being played. when i watched the brooklyn gig, it was clear as day that there are 2 guitars going and only one person playing guitar...

For what it's worth, I watched the Jammed performance again this weekend, and noticed something re: ABOY. There's one angled shot of the stage, and you could see someone off the stage behind Edge with a guitar (probably Dallas Schoo). I'm guessing he was playing the second guitar live (no backing track).

Anyone else notice this?

tlt29 said:
For what it's worth, I watched the Jammed performance again this weekend, and noticed something re: ABOY. There's one angled shot of the stage, and you could see someone off the stage behind Edge with a guitar (probably Dallas Schoo). I'm guessing he was playing the second guitar live (no backing track).

Anyone else notice this?

I highly, highly doubt that Dallas was playing the ABOY chords. One, Dallas is always fiddling and tuning Edge's gutiars during songs. Second, the 2nd guitar sounds 100% exactly like the gutiar on the album and other ABOY performances

discothequeLP said:

I highly, highly doubt that Dallas was playing the ABOY chords. One, Dallas is always fiddling and tuning Edge's gutiars during songs. Second, the 2nd guitar sounds 100% exactly like the gutiar on the album and other ABOY performances

Edge clearly played the chords. It looked like whoever was off the stage was playing the 2nd guitar.

dammit dammit dammit, sorry

i meant, Dallas wans't playing the lead part. That gutiar is played exactly the same every time live, even on the album, so it can't possibly be live. Dalls was probably tuning one of Edge's gutiars

discothequeLP said:
dammit dammit dammit, sorry

i meant, Dallas wans't playing the lead part. That gutiar is played exactly the same every time live, even on the album, so it can't possibly be live. Dalls was probably tuning one of Edge's gutiars

yes, I agree.
it's backing track.

tlt29 said:

Anyone else notice this?

I saw that too. It's the person that's getting ready to hand Edge the next guitar he's about to use. If u watch the whole thing (There's a full video on U2exit.com) You'll see he's standing there durring most of the performance holding the guitar that Edge is going to use in the next song because of all the guitars he has.

Back
Top Bottom